Oil pan sensor cover plate leaking...

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
The three bolt cover plate at the bottom of the oil pan is leaking a bit. Where the oil sensor that is not there goes. Pulled it off to clean up, reseal and reinstall. Turns out there is an O-ring there. Anyone know the part number for the o-ring? Or a compatible one? Also, when reinstalling, I was putting less than 8-10lbs torque to tighten and one just kept turning. Really not any pressure at all. It’s a captive threaded hole. Anyone out there repaired this with a insert? Not sure the thickness available. Or is it just buy a new oil pan? I actually have a spare pan, but would rather not as the pan is nicely sealed in place from the engine being swapped in about 7 months ago.

Thanks.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've literally never seen a pan that had a cap there. If the bolt is still turning chances are the threads are pulled. Might be time for a new pan?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would heli-coil or tap the next size up.
Also I would just take the call to Napa and get an o-ring. They should have some green ones, forget their name.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I've literally never seen a pan that had a cap there. If the bolt is still turning chances are the threads are pulled. Might be time for a new pan?
I actually have my original pan from the previous motor. No sensor spot on that pan. I just don't feel like loosening the million little bolts in awkward alignments, then cleaning all the currently perfectly working sealant off the flange, then re-sealing, and then getting the million little bolts in awkward alignments tight again. I just did this in December.

The donor car has now two interesting bits to it. It is also a 2003, but it had a very different harmonic balancer on it. A 'newer' smaller one, and now this, an odd cover plate for a non-existant oil sensor.

Could be a replacement oil pan though. Don't know.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I would heli-coil or tap the next size up.
Also I would just take the call to Napa and get an o-ring. They should have some green ones, forget their name.

Ordered a new o-ring from ECS tuning. Looks more like a flanged seal than an o-ring interestingly enough. Maybe the o-ring was not the correct thing and part of why it leaks? Found the correct one through VW Parts, definitely a flanged seal.

The cover plate is Part # 03G103707 which is stamped on mine, the O-ring I found searching for the cover plate, it is part #: 038103196

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
That little cover and seal aren't random, or weird. I had one in my '03 and the replacement as well. They all have a flat spot where it goes, some just don't have it.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I actually have my original pan from the previous motor. No sensor spot on that pan. I just don't feel like loosening the million little bolts in awkward alignments, then cleaning all the currently perfectly working sealant off the flange, then re-sealing, and then getting the million little bolts in awkward alignments tight again. I just did this in December.
The donor car has now two interesting bits to it. It is also a 2003, but it had a very different harmonic balancer on it. A 'newer' smaller one, and now this, an odd cover plate for a non-existant oil sensor.
Could be a replacement oil pan though. Don't know.
Using a dealer parts site, the hole cover I have fits a 2012 Passat TDI. Weird.