Oil Pan Removal

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Hello lovely people

Any advice for pulling a bashed-in oil pan on a 2011 8P 2.0 TDI?

Purchased the little guy in need of some fixes and after pouring a 1/2 gallon of oil onto the floor, I discovered a badly damaged oil pan; I purchased the replacement so just reaching out to see if there's anything crazy or if it's pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Decently easy. Make sure to remove the hardware holding the intake hose coming from the intercooler on the passenger side. Makes it easier to put the pan back up. This is important because your dealing with wet oil pan sealant so you want to get it straight up not on an angle. Another tip is to turn the crank shaft which moves the flywheel to align the slots allowing you better access to the pan bolts on the transmission side.
Since your pulling the oil pan I would replace your balance shaft hex key. They tend to wear out but are cheap and easy to replace once you have the oil pan down. On your 2011 you have the longer upgraded hex key. Important to know for ordering purposes.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Thank you so much for the help - greatly appreciated!

When you say rotate the crank shaft, to align the trans bolts - If the trans (in this case - DSG) is mated to the oil pan with external bolts, how does rotating the crank help align the bolts/provide access? Do the flywheel teeth get in the way somehow?

p.e.fletcher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE/2011 Golf TDI

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Thank you so much for the help - greatly appreciated!

When you say rotate the crank shaft, to align the trans bolts - If the trans (in this case - DSG) is mated to the oil pan with external bolts, how does rotating the crank help align the bolts/provide access? Do the flywheel teeth get in the way somehow?
There are slots on the flywheel face (see picture below) allowing for you to slide up an extension to get at the pan bolts on that side. Without having the slots aligned you risk stripping the bolts etc..

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
There are slots on the flywheel face (see picture below) allowing for you to slide up an extension to get at the pan bolts on that side. Without having the slots aligned you risk stripping the bolts etc..
Thats a lame design but understand now - TY very much. On first look I thought you meant the 6-holes around the perimeter; the slots seem ample. Its 2 bolts in there and two on the sides of the oil pan that mate it to the trans, right?

The shaft can be a little tricky to remove sometimes. Pull the clip and use super glue on a skinny bolt. Glue the bolt to the shaft and it should slide right out as you pull your glued bolt. Insert the new one and install the clip.
Its not steel & magnetic? Was just going to use a "dropped part" -magnet

Last edited:

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Thats a lame design but understand now - TY very much. On first look I thought you meant the 6-holes around the perimeter; the slots seem ample. Its 2 bolts in there and two on the sides of the oil pan that mate it to the trans, right?

Its not steel & magnetic? Was just going to use a "dropped part" -magnet
I've tried a magnet 3 separate jobs and it's never worked for me. Have used glue each time. YMMV.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Hey just wanted to say thank you again for the guidance - not what I would call easy, but definitely not the worst.

I was able to start and run the car for the first time since I bought it, ran it up to temperature, took it for a little run up the street and back. Let it sit in the driveway for a bit idling and still dry as a bone. 👍👍

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Hey just wanted to say thank you again for the guidance - not what I would call easy, but definitely not the worst.

I was able to start and run the car for the first time since I bought it, ran it up to temperature, took it for a little run up the street and back. Let it sit in the driveway for a bit idling and still dry as a bone. 👍👍
Awesome! Glad to help. How did the shaft replacement go? Did the magnet work? How was the wear on the original shaft?