Oil pan protection

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
I had great oil pan protection on my '05 Jetta TDI wagon.

It was a very sturdy, steel cover that fit directly beneath the oil pan and bolted directly to the bottom of the engine block.

It was OEM and fit like a glove. It saved my oil pan at least twice.

I'm looking for something like that for my '13 Golf TDI.

I've tried to get it at World Impex and IDParts, but neither import them.

Does anyone know if they exist and if anyone imports them?

Thanks, but I'm not interested in the big steel or aluminum belly pans... I know that they are very helpful, but I'm really just looking for that particular part.

Thanks.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
There are 3 that I know of. The panzer(aluminum), Another aluminum(the name is eluding me at the moment (?) and a stock steel one (very pricey). There is a thread on here that mentions all of them, search for "skid plate"

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There are 3 that I know of. The panzer(aluminum), Another aluminum(the name is eluding me at the moment (?) and a stock steel one (very pricey). There is a thread on here that mentions all of them
Evolution is the one that was eluding you. It is aluminum also and very similar to the dieselgeek unit. There is also the defender skid plate which is steel. IIRC, the Defender and the Evolution model both come from Canada while the Panzer comes from Texas.

I believe that the OP might have been talking about hybrid oil pans that were aluminum with a steel cladding. These are not available for Mk5 and Mk6 TDIs.

Have Fun!

Don

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks.

I wasn't clear in my description of the the steel cover.

It covered only the oil pan and was bolted directly to the bottom of the engine block.

It was not a replacement for the plastic skid plate.

Like I said, the panzer plates and other aluminum or steel skid plates are great and very useful, but I'm just looking for the small steel oil pan cover that attaches to the bottom of the engine block.

Thanks b

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
....but I'm just looking for the small steel oil pan cover that attaches to the bottom of the engine block.
Unfortunately, I have never seen such a thing for a M5 or an Mk6 TDI. If you find such a cover, please let us all know where to get it. Until you find it, a skid plate is the best you can do. My Panzer plate is not a replacement for the plastic cover, it is in addition to the plastic cover. It mounts directly below the plastic belly cover. The skidplate protects everything from impact damage while the plastic belly pan keeps out dirt and water (it seals better).

Have Fun!

Don

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Evolution is the one that was eluding you. It is aluminum also and very similar to the dieselgeek unit. There is also the defender skid plate which is steel. IIRC, the Defender and the Evolution model both come from Canada while the Panzer comes from Texas.

I believe that the OP might have been talking about hybrid oil pans that were aluminum with a steel cladding. These are not available for Mk5 and Mk6 TDIs.

Have Fun!

Don

You are correct! Thanks for the mental reminder :D

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I did by a steel OEM skid plate for my wife's 2010 Jetta from World Impex a couple of years ago. This is not simply an oil pan cover, but a bottom engine compartment cover, made of solid steel (no aluminum in it at all.)

This is similar to the steel OEM skid plate (bottom engine compartment cover) I have for my own 2005 Jetta from the same source.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Let us know if it fits right. They do not list any of the 2.0L diesels sold in America (CKRA, CJAA, CBEA), but the oil pans just might be the same size (and shape).

Have Fun!

Don

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I did by a steel OEM skid plate for my wife's 2010 Jetta from World Impex a couple of years ago. This is not simply an oil pan cover, but a bottom engine compartment cover, made of solid steel (no aluminum in it at all.)

This is similar to the steel OEM skid plate (bottom engine compartment cover) I have for my own 2005 Jetta from the same source.

Hi Dan. Thanks.

I had one of those on my '09 JSW. I had to grind a little bit to keep the AC pulley from hitting it, but otherwise it was fantastic.

I'm going to try this small cover.

It weighs very little, it's super stout, and I can still get into the bottom of my engine compartment pretty easily if i want. You are certainly handier than I!

Fr. Michael

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
I wasn't clear in my description of the the steel cover.

It covered only the oil pan and was bolted directly to the bottom of the engine block.

It was not a replacement for the plastic skid plate.
vw has a history of offering odd ball factory skid plates on diesels

from the mk1