Oil or fuel in manifold??

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
So I ripped my gtb 1756vk off the other day the welds ain't no good got pin holes all around it that let either fuel or oil out of.i just removed the injectors about a week ago n cleaned them using foaming oven cleaner seemed to work pretty good. The injector had no oil on it but looked clean burning.but cylinder number two has a oil film in the manifold n I get a small puff of white smoke on start but the turbo is good no shaft play or even oil on either side just a little that comes out the holes preturbo. The smoke smelled more of raw fuel than oil to me but IDK since the injector clean the puff has almost all gone away but still had some but after seeing the turbo leaking the best day I really didn't get to drive much to see if the cleaning really helped. The inside of the manifold is almost dry at the gasket (no oil) but as it goes back the scrool it thickens going to post pic in profile if I can remember how been a while since she needed help love my alh tdi

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Did your engine have a runaway?
Hard to decipher some of that.
Also sounds like your intake ports need cleaning.
For that I recommend a clay loop knife or two. Cheap and come in lots of shapes.
(Don't forget compressed air blasts to get all the loose chunks out)
For a new turbo, sounds like you wouldn't want one of these:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/54399880017
Sounds like you've got a lot going on.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You say the TC isn't leaking but then it is?

Oil coming out of the holes preturbo. What holes?

I wish people would proof read what they write.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
There is indeed pin holes where the turbo was welded to the vnt housing thus making it pre turbo hole. I stretched my neck down around the back with a flash light and peaked at the valves they are starting to get oil soaked. The intake has been replaced with pd150 and all is clean there. Only thing left to do is replace the valve seals. Stock valves stock Cam and internals but alot of extra and car has never ran away and don't intend on letting it

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Do you have the crankcase vented to the intake(vent on valve cover)? You could just be seeing normal ccv oil.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
I have a catch can that moroso that was designed to vent atmosphere but I have it channeled back to the intake but intake tube is clear and free of heavy oil. From the inlet to the intake pipe it only goes maybe two inches and is very minimal but Fromm comparing each valve on a physical sighting cylinder two is the worst on the exhaust and is starting on the intakes as well. I can't upload the pic of the holes say it too big. So pm me an email address if you would like to see

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Ok here the break down of the car probably would not be a bad idea to do the head. Lifted on 27"geolanders pd lift pump. 11mm pump bosio 1019 gtb 1756vk 1.8t pancake pipe to 2.5 in cooler pipe to a 13*30*3 intercooler egr is broke wink wink pd 150intake 2.5 downpipeto 3" side pipe old man intake from kerma kerma tune for 1749vnt custom intake box with k\n 9" filter using factory ram air tubing darkside fuel n oil cooler frost heater vr6 axle swap diesel geek short throw(my favorite)3 bar map timing has 20k on it and 230k on car sound deading removed from under carpet glow shift boost. Oil press oil temp. And egt n it's rhino lined

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
No internal have ever been touched stock head valve even studs running 27lb tune

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If you're going to r&r the head, send the injectors for r&r too.
I don't think oven cleaner is the way to freshen them up.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Agreed. Oven cleaner is only going to clean up the outside. It could possible destroy the orifices as well. Ot will do nothing to actually clean them of anything that will make them run poorly u less you put it inside the nozzle and that's a really bad idea. If your not up to doing a high end job in the nozzles, dont do it. Send them out.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
I have ripped the injector apart before had non-issue just one at a time but I only soaked the tips in them never put threw the injector. Would be amazed how much soot comes out being these are mechanical injectors the shims up the spring rate thus up the pop pressure so don't loose ur shims and dissemble nozzle up in a vise pretty basic to do but it's when doing new injector you should definitely have them calibrated. This pair of injector has around 25 k on them calibrate and hot swapped from kerma. But after I took the turbo to my buddy to be weld we were examining it a little close and when putting a square across the manifold low and behold about a 3/16 gap on both ends as its high in the middle. From the original weld we figured it was warped and never redecked so this time it will be welded properly and decked after weld. Would running around 5000 rpm between a few gear contribute to the oil on the valve with this much of a gap on the manifold. Can anyone confirm a great tdi guy to do the head I'm over everyone being "good" I'm after a perfectionist and am willing to pay for great work

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Thanks all hope to be rolling coal again soon the van is too dam slow