Oil leak...

Dday106

TDI
2013 Passat
Hi guys,

2012 passat has had an oil leak for quite some time now. I've just been topping it off but want to try and find the source as the dripping has become greater recently. Last oil change at 10k miles showed 1.5 quarts low. Looks like above the oil pan maybe 1 foot there is a rubber coupling that is hose clamped on top and bottom. The bottom side is malformed and I can see where oil is probably leaking there. Problem is I can see oil leaking from higher above when I recorded with my phone. Honestly looks like the entire back side of the engine has been saturated at some point. Was going to throw another hose clamp on that rubber gasket but have a feeling this isn't the main leak.

Based off what I'm describing you guys have a good idea where the leak is coming from? I'm at the point where I might take it to someone but figured I would check here first.

Dday106

TDI
2013 Passat

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The EGR cooler? One of the fittings on mine was also loose and it was leaking what looked to be oil.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the CKRA it is likely the valve cover. They get baked so unmerciful that the little heat shield on the back side isn't enough, and they get brittle. Big job, all the injectors have to come out.

Dday106

TDI
2013 Passat
My car does have diesel gate warranty. Wondering if this could be covered by the warranty? Probably not?

Dday106

TDI
2013 Passat
My car does have diesel gate warranty. Wondering if this could be covered by the warranty? Probably not?
I for sure know a rubber coupling connected to the EGR cooler is leaking. I know the EGR is covered under the warranty so maybe they will repair that part at least

oilhammer

TDI
The EGR cooler has coolant going through it, not oil. Who knows if they will cover an oil leak or not.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Oilhammer, I have the same passenger side rear leak and was leaning toward a valve cover gasket. Read up on it and saw that injector removal was needed. Couple questions: at 220k miles, how tough will it be to pull the injectors? If tough can I loosen (not remove) the hold downs and bump the engine using compression to free or is that ill advised? Are new injector seals needed when re-asssembling? Any other parts needed? I'd want to have everything on hand. Lastly after going through all the effort is the VW OEM gasket the best bet?

Sorry to hijack... Thanks, John

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Oilhammer, I have the same passenger side rear leak and was leaning toward a valve cover gasket. Read up on it and saw that injector removal was needed. Couple questions: at 220k miles, how tough will it be to pull the injectors? If tough can I loosen (not remove) the hold downs and bump the engine using compression to free or is that ill advised? Are new injector seals needed when re-asssembling? Any other parts needed? I'd want to have everything on hand. Lastly after going through all the effort is the VW OEM gasket the best bet?

Sorry to hijack... Thanks, John
I haven't pulled injectors from this motor. The dealer just did mine in the last few weeks. But I've done them on gassers. Never had an issue pulling them. Yes, use new seals when installing. Re-using seals is a bad practice. They are one time use unless otherwise noted. Also I believe you need VCDS in-order to bleed the high pressure system. As far as the gaskets go, aftermarket cometic and felpro are usually great on other make cars, however I'm not sure on this instance as VWs can be pretty particular as far as parts go. I'd price it out and see. Seals are usually reasonable.

Probably not, they generally want to cover stuff that pulls codes. What part of STL are you in? I'm in the Belleville area.
Auffenberg in Ofallon IL had mine for 3 weeks and did a ton too it. See my thread below.
They seem to be a dealer in our area that will actually go through these cars in depth for warranty work.

2013 Passat TDI SE - LEMON | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
You replace the valve COVER, not the gasket. The cover comes with a gasket already on it.

You'll need injector washers and seals, yes.

The system will bleed itself very quickly. The rail pressure normally gets dropped off when the car shuts off, so it always needs to repressurize the rail at start up. It will just take a couple extra seconds after opening the system.

You also may need the breather tube that connects to the valve cover. These are "one time use only" and are intended to be replaced, however if you are really careful you can get all the tabs released and get them off.

I use the same injector puller I use on the VE TDIs to get the injectors to come out.

oilhammer

TDI
Edit: I made a mistake, the injectors do NOT get the VE puller used on them, sorry. I just gently pry them against the valve cover and they will come right up. They come up in pairs, as the clamp spans two injectors (1 & 2, 3 & 4).

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Edit: I made a mistake, the injectors do NOT get the VE puller used on them, sorry. I just gently pry them against the valve cover and they will come right up. They come up in pairs, as the clamp spans two injectors (1 & 2, 3 & 4).
Good to hear. I found an oil leak into my injectors yesterday, Its creating a pool of oil around them . I'm suspecting the dealer didn't replace the valve cover when they did these... SMH.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The EGR cooler has coolant going through it, not oil. Who knows if they will cover an oil leak or not.
Although the main seals are covered. It's perplexing. There's an argument that it should be covered. As the thermostat should. Anything oil, fuel, coolant and exhaust touches should be. But the money they've paid out on this.....

Last edited: