Oil in the intercooler, Stalling, Jerking

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
I just recently cleaned out the pipe that is coming from the turbo to the intercooler and it had tons of oil in it. the EGR spits out ol also. I did the cleaning of the EGR sme time ago but still oil is always there.

The car is running pretty good eccept when its STALLING/JERKING here and there. Not always but on an hr trip to work it does it 5-10 times. I just replaced the 109 sensor, the MAF was replaced last year. I pulled the turbo off about a year ago and cleand it out.
The other day i was checking the turbo and pulled off the pipes and reached in with my fingers. I was trying to spin it....it wasnt that free spin as i remembered from last year, so i'm thinking that that the turbo would need a ceaning again.

So my main problem is that the engine is STALLING, Oil in the intercooler, the turbo doesn't spin freely as it should,

Any help appreciated

Oh i forgott, my car is a 98 Beetle tdi, 260000 miles, 5 speed,

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
  • Step one: STOP DRIVING IT
  • Step two: Replace the turbocharger with a quality unit from one of the vendors here on TDIClub

Oil in the intercooler, hydrolock, and a turbo that doesn't spin freely are symptoms of a failed turbo. Continuing to drive the vehicle can cause catastrophic engine failure and will ultimately cost you a lot more than just replacing the turbo.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
PS: Due to the repeated hydrolock that you describe, a compression test is highly recommended to make sure that you haven't bent a connecting rod.

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
Purchase a new turbo unit??? how much would that set me back?
(are you the guy who helped me fix my overboost problem?..)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
i just checked the compression and it is set on 4. between 3-5.....i think you told me this number.
I have no idea what that means.

A compression test involves removing the glow plugs and threading a compression tester into the glow plug holes (you would do it in the spark plug hole in a gas engine). Compression on the 1.9 TDI should be around 400 - 450 PSI.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
A failed turbo will blow oil out of the shaft seal and into the intake system. From there it will collect in the intercooler and eventually get sucked into the engine and cause a stall (hydrolock).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I should also mention that the oil leak from the turbo will deplete the oil in your engine sump. Might be a good idea to check the engine's oil level (it's probably low).

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
I just find a Tdi golf 130000 miles and the guy is parting it out. Do you think it's a good idea to get the turbo? He wants $150

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If it is in good condition with no axial play in the shaft and it spins freely, then $150 is a good deal.

Is it a wreck?

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
Ok so I find a turbo today off of a Tdi golf with 130000 miles. I'm gonna get in it and clean it real good....pictures coming soon :)

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
Well, I changed the turbo last night, cleaned out every thing that needed to be cleaned.
I did the same maintenance about a year ago (60000miles ago) and I swear, the intake, turbo, everything else was dirty like I never did anything to it. Amazing !!!!
....anyways, the car is up and running again and feels soo much better then ever before! Even the low rpm and in top rpm it pulls hard :)))))

My next sceduled maintenance like this at 340000 miles, ha ha

SmokeFree

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2008 Audi A3 2.0T, 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 3500
The stalling of your car seems strange though. I would definitely check the compression, even if it is running good, compared to what you had before, you could still have a bent rod that is just begging to fail on you... Did the car ever seem to rev up uncontrollably at full throttle conditions? I am surprised no one mentioned the risk of a runaway...

95gltd

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
My experience with oil in the intercooler
2001 tdi jetta

Bought from original owner with 150,000km

at 186,000km in the spring after the long winter of put putting revved it out on a hill to 4000 rpm thinking cleaning her out is good WRONG. Instantly tach went to redline and little did i know was running away. After about 2-3 seconds i turned the key off and coasted to the side of the road. Pulled the intercooler pipe and atleast 1/2 L of oil in there. I chalked it up to the original owner(woman) driving it like a granny and accumulation over the years. Compression test showed well over 400psi across the board closer to 450 if i recall. Cleaned the intercooler and off we go.

Fast forward to 200,000km started taking lots of oil like 4L in 16,000km oil change. By 205,000km it was making no boost and going into limp mode often. Took the turbo off and actuator was rotten and turbo was actually seized.

Bought what was suppose to be a new turbo for $500 off local classifieds and installed at 207,000km

225,000km at the next oil change this thing had gone threw 5L of oil actually more than the original junk turbo. Come to find out it was a rebuilt chinesse turbo. This thing was new and less than 20,000km on it and the shafts are tight yet pisses oil like crazy.

Just bought a used oem turbo a couple weeks ago and installed it.

Basically there is noway of telling if the oil seal is good by looking at it. If your buying used make sure its from a reputable person or someone you know or brand new OEM no jobber junk.

The replacement i put on had 280,000km and virtually no play in the shafts.

My oem turbo was dead at 200,000 km and a local guys crapped out at 250,000km. Yet my cousin bought a 2002 auto brand new and sold it a couple years ago with 625,000km on it and only thing he ever replaced was T belt kits,glowplugs,starter and 1 gp harness. Some turbos were lemons i guess ?

Last edited:

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
Turbo clean, intake clean, new fuel filter. I'm suspecting that the MAF is giving up even though its only a year old. The engine still stalls/jerks ones or twice in every gear at take off and doing it wile keeping travel speed (not to much).
Could it be the MAF or some other sensor???

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
After reading this thread, all I am seeing is alot of guessing and no troubleshooting. You need to get VCDS on this and do some testing to find the problem.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Turbo clean, intake clean, new fuel filter. I'm suspecting that the MAF is giving up even though its only a year old. The engine still stalls/jerks ones or twice in every gear at take off and doing it wile keeping travel speed (not to much).
Could it be the MAF or some other sensor???
You need to scan for codes with VCDS.

A boost leak will cause bucking (stalls/jerks) and a hissing sound while accelerating. Do you hear a hissing sound when you experience the problem?

When I had a boost leak, when idling and even when revving in neutral, I got no hiss because the engine has to be under load to cause the turbo to come up on boost. I would get the hiss and the bucking (stalls/jerks) when accelerating.

Also I could make it hiss while standing still by holding the brake, putting it in first, revving to about 2K RPMs and gently feathering the clutch to load the engine. If you use this procedure to check for a boost leak, only do it for a few seconds at a time or you could fry the clutch.

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
You need to scan for codes with VCDS.

A boost leak will cause bucking (stalls/jerks) and a hissing sound while accelerating. Do you hear a hissing sound when you experience the problem?

When I had a boost leak, when idling and even when revving in neutral, I got no hiss because the engine has to be under load to cause the turbo to come up on boost. I would get the hiss and the bucking (stalls/jerks) when accelerating.

Also I could make it hiss while standing still by holding the brake, putting it in first, revving to about 2K RPMs and gently feathering the clutch to load the engine. If you use this procedure to check for a boost leak, only do it for a few seconds at a time or you could fry the clutch.
where is the most common area where tdi's have boost leak?