Oil in intercooler pipes leaking out

TDi.

TDI
Polo 2007 1.9tdi
Hi guys

I had a issue of finding oil on the floor. Dripping from the intercooler pipe. Changed the turbo a week ago. Still got the same issue.

Please help

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Oil in the charge pipes is normal, its not coming from the turbo, its coming from crankcase gasses being recirculated back into the intake. How much is normal is a highly debated question and most people have more than you'd think slugged up in there. Bottom line is you will always have some. The bigger question is why do you have a leak in your intercooler piping? If its big enough to drip oil its could be big enough to cause a significant boost leak and that in itself causes many issues...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
its not just crank case vapor, its also oil from the journal bearing of the turbo.
but yea, it would be odd to find one that does not have oil in it. they all do. if you drain the intercooler, you should have no more than like half a cup to as little as a few tablespoons.
the fact that its dripping from it means its leaking, fix the leak. its a boost leak for sure, if oil can drip out, so will air.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
It's both, but by far there is more from the Turbo as Mongler98 said.

I have the blow-by gasses totally by-passing the intake system via a scavenger system on the ALH in my Vanagon. But, there is still oil in the charge pipe from the Turbo.

Blow it out by briskly accelerating thru the first three gears ........... shifting at 3200 to 3600 RPMs will do the trick. I'd suggest doing it lightly at first until you get the level down in the Intercooler.... However, it will be much safer to remove the bottom hose on the Intercooler for an inspection....... it is highly likely oil will pour out. You can use a shop towel to soak the oil inside... easy done! Re-install the hose and take it for a drive.......... briskly thru the gears! Do it that way several times per tank of fuel to keep it blow-out!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
To be fair, the oil sitting in the intercooler is mostly from the turbo, the oil soot coke mix at the EGR is mostly from the CCV. vapor mist vs oil droplets. they both dont help each others case but eh. knowledge i gain from making about 20 different oil air separators because i had too much time to .... well racecar

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you had to change your turbo you should have drained and cleaned the intercooler and associated piping, to prevent a slug of pooled oil being sucked into the engine and hydro locking your motor.

Several threads have been started with something like “changed my turbo and my engine ran away”.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Either one of the big pipes is cracked or the collar (clamp) ain't doing it's job, sorta common. Be sure it's not a leak from higher up.