Oil in Canada

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I have decided to go with Shell Rotella SB oil. As far as I can tell it exceeds all of the desired specs and then some, including the CH-4 requirement. Price in Ontario is about $3.50Cdn/Litre, and is available in 20L pails.

For supplies from Shell, this link should list the Ontario Canada dealers:
http://www.shell.ca/oshell/clubes/on.htm

You can work backwards from there for other Canadian suppliers. I was told "about a week" for "special orders". The product I ordered is the 10W-40 Synth Blend. They do make a 0W-40 full synth, but this is $5.60/L, and would only be useful I think if we were going for long drain intervals.

Although it would be nice to so do, I feel SB is a good compromise, and it is also fine for my gasoline vehicle.

PS: I found that the Shell distributor went by product name - not the number shown on the Web-site

Dominique Cormann

Veteran Member
If you haven't already bought some product.

Look at Petro canada's synthblend. Its a better product and slightly cheaper. Its based on group III base oil and PAO, the shell product is a group I base oil and PAO blend.

It comes in either 0w30 or 10w40. The 10w40 is 3.10/L and the 0w30 is 3.40/L.

You can compare the specs on my web page in the oil section.
http://24.112.110.104/gtdproject/fluids/pc.htm

Is the section for the petro canada products.

If you have bought the product already. No big deal, just something to think about when you buying your next pail.

------------------
My Project GTD and diesel page http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject

[This message has been edited by Dominique Cormann (edited March 09, 2000).]

TwoSlick

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Audi TT Roadster, 1990 Audi 100
Dominique,

Have you actually used either of these oils in your VW, or are you going strictly by the type of basestock used? I would have a hard time recommending between two oils I hadn't even used. The Shell additive package might well be superior ...after all, they do a real good job with the Rotella T using conventional basestock technology. Just a thought ....

2S

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I would reccomend the Petro Canada stuff in the 0w30 for the TDI. I wanted to wait for DC to weigh in on the subject first with his Canadien address. Here in Michigan I had to order the PC stuff. But before I did I talked at length with the Owner of Coyne Oil Corp. about the merits of PC stuff and also with the PC tech service rep. They both had hard facts and information about the oils that I could understand and relate to my knowledge.

The PC stuff is made in probably one of the newest oil refineries in the world, where they manufacture the GIII base stocks.

The tech rep mentioned that the PC Duron XL (SB stuff) was one the first oil that passed the newest Mack and Cummins tests. Now whether that was among their oil products or among all competing oils I don't know.

But what I can say is that I am very impressed with the company. The pricing for me wound up to be ~$12/4L jug. I had to order a minimum of 2 cases. It is in my Volvo 240 wagon (B230F enigne -gas) and it seems to be running alittle smoother and happier. Although after two weeks of being in there the oil is perfectly clean (the oil in the Volvo never ever evr got black, I am convinced that there is somehting magical about that engine, it has never burned a drop of oil except when an idiot dealership replaced the timing belt and f***ed up the front engine seal).

I am very confident in Duron's additive package, but will be doing one or two Oil analysis points in the TDI for peace of mind and to ensure that it is doign it's job.

TwoSlick

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Audi TT Roadster, 1990 Audi 100
GeWilli,

It makes sense that the Canadians would be working on making new types of conventional basestocks with really good low temp properties, both to meet climate needs and also to satisfy the latest engine requirements and provide for extended drain use. Looking at Dom's homepage, the specs for the products sold in Canada are definitely better than those sold in the US - even for the conventional oils like Delo 400 and Rotella XLA ...

How many miles on that Volvo engine - does it have a chain driven camshaft or is it a belt ...I can't recall?

[This message has been edited by TwoSlick (edited March 10, 2000).]

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
220,500 miles on the volvo. only 3,500 miles since July 17th '99! (bought the GOlf TDI a week before).

Belt driven. There are some oil seals that have to be replaced. I just got my Bentley bible for it along with 3 Mann oil filters (3 for $10) today. Will puruse the book and let you know specifically about the seals if you are curious.

The Volvo is going to get 6 month oil changes and 10k mile Regular servicing. I got the bentley so I could do it and so I could tell the guys at the station what I want them to do. They are great and very skilled but are used to working on "Its broken - Fix it" rather than "find out what will break in the next 6 months and fix that".
I find that cars maintained using the latter phrase somehow outlast the other ones.

Well Gotta go figure out what to get my wife for her birthday. I don't think the Mann filters and the Bentley will cut it even though they are for her car.

Craig

Veteran Member
Dominique, thanks for this valuable info. Duron XL 10w-40 Synthetic--right in my own backyard. I will definitely consider this when I've used up my Delo synthetic. I suppose you just don't buy it in any old Petro Canada station though. Wouldn't it be nice if VW Canada used this stuff?

Dominique Cormann

Veteran Member
Craig,

Just so you know, the Duron XL 10w40 is a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic.

I personally think its the best example of a synthetic blend for the money, but a full synthetic is still a better oil. The delo synthetic your using is going to be better, then this product. I think this oil is better then castrol syntec, at half the price.

Boucher fuels in Kitchener sells it, and they are close to Hogg fuels where I think you got the delo synth.

I rechecked price and it was $3.01 (can) for the 10w40 and $3.30 for the 0w30.

The duron XL (group III) is $2.89, and I think thats a good value for what it is. I think it represents the best non synthetic oil around. Great cold temp performance (-48c pour point with the 15w40 ). It also scores very well in the bore polishing wear test, much better then group I oils, and very close to the pao/ester based oils.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dominique Cormann (edited March 13, 2000).]

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My opinion is that the Duron XL synth blend is probably better than Chevron Delo synthetic. I don't have huge data banks of evidence to back it up, but the blend is so close in performance to a full Synthetic (blended synthetic group IV and V) (syntec not included) diesel oil that the cost savings is quite significant.

maybe I've got a little blind faith but, after driving the volvo all weekend, I am true convert.

The Volvo runs like a clock now, so smooth. My wife filled up with regular unleaded last and I couldn't tell. Previously we had been putting mid-grade in the engine to help it run smoothly. Now with the regular stuff and the new oil it runs smoother than before. The engine is quiter and seems to have a small noticable amount of power increase. The oil that was used for the past few years was Shell's 10w30 (it was what ever the shell service station was using, BTW the shell branded oil filter is made by Hastings) not a premium synthetic at all.

Anyway. maybe Mobil 1 would have worked as well as the PC stuff, but I like this stuff what can I say.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Well, I picked up up my over priced Shell Rotella T SB 10W-40 CH4 20L pail today. If you are in the Toronto West end or Mississauga area it can be ordered through Noco Lubricants (Etobicoke Ont).

While I was there I also saw pails of Sunoco and Mobil, so I will enquire later if they carry Delvac.

Getting oil out of a 20L pail may present a slight problem. However, the wife/daughter sometimes use a 4L container of shampoo - it comes with a nifty pump. A big nifty pump that pumps thick gooey shampoo. Adaptation plans are in the works.

Dominique Cormann

Veteran Member
Jimmy,

I buy my oil in 20L pails too. At a local farm supply store I bought a hand pump that fits perfectly on top of the pail. Any farm supply, or auto store will have these things.

Its a plate/cover that fits on top of the pail, and the has a pump in the middle of the cover. It has a hose attached to the pump. I took an used apple cider jug that was made of clear plastic and marked 4.7 litres on it. I then fill the jug from the pump, and have exactly what i need to fill the car.

These pumps are $4.99 to $29.99, depending on where and what you buy. Mine was a good value, I paid $9.99 and it was just as nice as the $29.99 one I saw.

------------------
My Project GTD and diesel page
http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject

valois

Banned
Dominique,
According to Shell the SB is a blend of Shell Rotella T and PAO. They have stated that the basestock is baseII.

Steve T

Veteran Member
Jimmy

If you are going to inquire about the Mobil Delvac 1, hold onto your wallet. I bought a 18.9 litre pail in Hamilton and it came to $183.00. I think that I may look for a less expensive oil next time???. Not sure though. Does anyone out there worry about letting this oil go for the recommended 16 000km change?

Dominique Cormann

Veteran Member
Steve T,

My local Hogg Fuels sells the delvac for $156 for that same pail, if your interested, or perhaps you could tell you local place, and they could price match.

They also sell chevron products, and the same size pail is $127 for the delo synth.

The cheapest so far is the new Shell rotella SB 0w40 PAO/ester full synthetic. It comes in a 20L pail ( not an 18.9L pail ), and is $114. So its even cheaper per litre.

About runnin any of the sythetics for 16,000 kms or 10,000 miles - the answer is no. If you do some searchs you'll see a few of the members have had their oil analysed to make sure this interval was okay, and it was - even on the CF rated castrol syntec. These oils are much better then that oil, so they could go even longer.

Valois,

We are both partially right. Shell a bit back back reformulated the Rotella T XLA we get in canada. I can't comment on the states, but I'm sure they will tell you, or perhaps you already have asked.

This is the reply I got from shell when I asked. They explained that the mineral oils in the rotella line ( so the blends and the regular rotella T ) are a blend of group I and II base oils.

Where I am, I can buy the chevron delo 400, which is a full group II oil, for less then rotella T XLA. So I use it, but I used to buy the rotella T. I think they are both decent oils, but I prefer the delo now.

Check my web page in the Shell section. You'll see something interesting comparing the spec sheets for the US and Canadian versions of the rotella line. Shell makes a very different product for each market.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dominique;

Thank you for your patience. Now that the fuel advisors have
returned we can provide a response.

Rotella T 0w40 fully synthetic is a mix of mainly PAO with some
diester. It is not group III. Our synthetic blends are mix of
mineral oil and PAO. Our mineral oils are mix of group I and II to
achieve the best results.

Keep in mind that just looking at base oils and numbers on a data
sheet doesn't give you the secret of good oil. Check also what the
product has achieved in an engine, in the real life. We have several
trucks with more than 1 million miles on plain mineral oil. One even
reached almost 2 millions miles.

The Rotella T is a careful balance of good base oil, one of the best
viscosity improver and a selected additive package. This is the
recipe for the genuine million mile oil.

Sincerely,

Lenore - Customer Support
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dominique Cormann (edited March 15, 2000).]

Jimmy

Veteran Member
It seems that there is a device out therre begging to be invented: A dipstick that will tell us when to change the oil. Or is there a "home testing kit" that can be reasonably constructed that would measure enough parameters to indicate an oil change?

newfrijo

Veteran Member
TDI
Yellow '98 NB
Steve T,

I'm in Vancouver, BC, and they're selling the Mobil Delvac 1 Full Synthetic 5W-40, at CDN $100 for 16 litres! Sounds like I've got a good deal!

Present stock is CG-4 rated, though. Any ideas if there's much diff. between CG-4 and CH-4? Should I be concerned?

I've got a '98 TDI NB.

Thanks.

------------------
Bill - '98 NB TDI

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Dominique,

Don't you find it interesting that on Shells' US website, they give full synthetic diesel oils a bad rap (ie: that they don't do a good job of controlling high temp piston deposits), yet they sell exactly such a product (PAO/Ester) in Canada??? Perhaps the same rules of organic chemistry don't apply north of the border

As I have said, Shell will do anything they can to maintain the market share of Rotella T, even when it means not telling the entire story about synthetic lubes - of course this is just my humble opinion, as a private citizen

Jimmy,

You can get your oil tested through Oil Analyzers for $15.00 US and tell exactly how well it's holding up, chemically & physically ....

2S

Ted

[This message has been edited by TooSlick (edited March 16, 2000).]

Ernie L

I bought a 2000 Golf TDI in January and I live in Toronto. I'd like to know if anyone knows where this oil is available in my area

Mobil Delvac 1 5w30

Steve T

Veteran Member
Ernie L

I think that you want Mobil Delvac 1 5W 40? I found some at the Husky Truck Stop on HWY #401, exit 346 (near or at Dixie in Mississauga). The phone number is (905) 565-9090. The price is around $43.00 for 4L. The guy there told me to look elsewhere for a better price. Check the yellow pages under oil and just start calling around for a good price. Let me know if you find one.

fields

Veteran Member
DC

Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade is formulated with ISOSYNTM base stocks, which rival synthetics in critical engine tests
and an optimal blend of the latest technology in dispersant, detergent, oxidation inhibition, antiwear, corrosion
inhibition, viscosity improver, and defoaming additives.

I copied this from your web page- Would this be group III base oil?

richard

Ted

Veteran Member
Fields,

The Delo 400 sold in Canada is Group II basestock and looks like an excellent petroleum oil; specifically the pour point is nice and low ...BTW, does VW recommend synthetic oil for TDI's sold up there, or is it your choice??? I should add that all the premium petroleum oils (Rotella T, etc) claim to "rival synthetics" whatever that means ....

Ernie L,

You should also be able to find Amsoil (10w-40/15w-40 full synthetics) for about $40.00-$45.00 for four liters in Toronto, as another option.

TooSlick

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited March 21, 2000).]

ghpi

If you guys give me some zip codes, I can quote you prices on shipping 5 gal buckets of delvac 1.
Brad
GHPI
1.888.336.GHPI ext. 102.

[This message has been edited by ghpi (edited March 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ghpi (edited March 22, 2000).]

Ernie L

Steve T.

Thanks for the information. I think you got the best deal in Hamilton for the Mobil Delvac 1 so far. Could you tell me where this place is in Hamilton where I can pick up a pail for myself? The 8000km oil change will come quickly and I want to be ready. My VW dealer is very strict not to go over the 8000km mark.

Thank you
Ernie

famous

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimmy:In the Toronto area,the VW dealers are using Castrol Syntec 5w/40 in the TDI,as standard oil.Personnally,I use 5w/50 in each of my cars.Castrol says it's the best year round oil.However,I still change oil at 3000 mile intervals.
I have decided to go with Shell Rotella SB oil. As far as I can tell it exceeds all of the desired specs and then some, including the CH-4 requirement. Price in Ontario is about $3.50Cdn/Litre, and is available in 20L pails.

For supplies from Shell, this link should list the Ontario Canada dealers:
http://www.shell.ca/oshell/clubes/on.htm

You can work backwards from there for other Canadian suppliers. I was told "about a week" for "special orders". The product I ordered is the 10W-40 Synth Blend. They do make a 0W-40 full synth, but this is $5.60/L, and would only be useful I think if we were going for long drain intervals.

Although it would be nice to so do, I feel SB is a good compromise, and it is also fine for my gasoline vehicle.

PS: I found that the Shell distributor went by product name - not the number shown on the Web-site
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve T

Veteran Member
Ernie L

I purchased the oil from a place called Crescent Oil. The address is 136 Cannon St. West, tel (905) 527-2432. You should call ahead and order the pail as I am not sure that they stock it. When I called to buy mine, they said that they had one in stock.
The price was $156.00 + tax. I asked for a better price and the guy dropped about $5 or so (not much of a deal). I also phoned a place called Chevron Lubricants (905) 387-0400, also in Hamilton. They have the Delo
400 for about $136.00 + tax. I think that most people at this site agree that it is also a good oil to use. It's your call. Also, if you like, I can pick up the oil for you and deliver it to Mississauga (I work at the hospital at Erin Mills and 403) where you can meet me.