Oil for summer vs winter (New England)

TDI
1999 Jetta (ALH)
Hey. Just bought a 99’ jetta ALH, from florida. I live in new england. Car is stock, 151k miles. I was wondering what oil I should use in the winter. I’ve seen it get -25°F where I am. I heard I should get Rotella T4 5W40 for spring through fall. I own a tractor and have used lighter weight Rotella for the winter. Any thoughts?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you have trouble starting, then from turkey day through St. Pat's, a 0W-30 in a full synthetic would help that. But I wouldn't use it outside that date range if you can help it. Otherwise, n1das's advice above will work out very nicely.

Cheers,

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
-25 in NH is pretty rare. I live in MA but used to spend a lot of time in Maine and VT in winter, and never had any trouble starting my ALH with 5w40 in it. I did run 0w30 one winter and maybe the car started a little easier, but it also consumed more of it. The problem with these cars and running different oils is it's unlikely you'll be through a change interval when the season changes. I'd just stick with 5w40.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'm in northern MN. While not common, of course, it can get -35*F and stay sub-zero for weeks. I've never used anything other than 5w-40 full synthetic. Either Rotella T6 or usually the last many years DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40.
There is no point in using summer/winter viscosity oil.
Get a FrostHeater or (heaven forbid) a pan heater if cold starting is an issue (or a concern).

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Sorry for butting in with an off-topic question.....(it's just an oil thread)

jettawreck.....I'm dyeing in this Texas heat, thinking about taking the RV and heading due north to Duluth but am being warned off because of the bugs.

Just how bad are they?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Sorry for butting in with an off-topic question.....(it's just an oil thread)

jettawreck.....I'm dyeing in this Texas heat, thinking about taking the RV and heading due north to Duluth but am being warned off because of the bugs.

Just how bad are they?
It's been hot (very hot for up here) and extremely dry but Duluth by the big lake is often cooler. A nice break for a couple days. A bit of rain yesterday and high of about 70 today and tomorrow then mid and upper 80's for a few weeks. Frost warnings for a few areas up the range tonight. Really a rollercoaster temp wise.
Bugs (mosquitoes) were horrendous early this spring/summer, not near so bad now but deer and horse flies are getting irritating. Mosquitoes after sunset can still be bad when there is no breeze. Lots of swamps and woods so there are going to be plenty of bugs.

TDI
1999 Jetta (ALH)
-25 in NH is pretty rare. I live in MA but used to spend a lot of time in Maine and VT in winter, and never had any trouble starting my ALH with 5w40 in it. I did run 0w30 one winter and maybe the car started a little easier, but it also consumed more of it. The problem with these cars and running different oils is it's unlikely you'll be through a change interval when the season changes. I'd just stick with 5w40.
What filter do you usually run?