Oil filter relocation adapter

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I have been using these adapters on some of my TDI swaps and thought I should post something here on them as well.
I have used them on the ALH and BEW but sure they fit other engines as well
It allows you to relocate the oil filter/cooler off the engine.
Just finished a new batch of them last week.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
That's some cool conversions. I was just thinking the other day about how to make changing the oil on a transverse buggy project less difficult. Now if I ever do a buggy project, I know someone has an adapter.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
These would allow to run a larger Amsoil full flow and Bypass system mounted somewhere else on the body.
What size threads are the larger inlet/ outlet ports??

Once every two year oil changes here we come....

Is that Jeep for sale?

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I see from your website that they're $165

Can you tell us what size/style the ports are on it?
The main oil lines are 3/8" NPT, same as most aftermarket filter bases.
The turbo return and TDI sender holes are stock size and then there is another 1/4 NPT hole for a second sender if needed.

$35K for the Jeep. :)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Pipe thread? Ugh. Pressure-wise they are fine but for functionality, SAE thread ORB is much easier to work with. It does take extra work though to cut the chamfer for the Oring, but in the end, it's a much better connection since you are able to clock any angled adapters and still maintain the proper seal on the Oring. With a body-bound fitting like a pipe fitting, it always seems to be half a turn too loose or too tight.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
whitedog - couldn't agree more. Pipe is a 4 letter word, SAE fittings are just not that hard to find. Most local farm & barn stores carry them even.

Anyway, off my soapbox about NPT, does this adapter incorporate all the functionality of the OEM unit?

dewiseman

TDI
03 TDI Jetta 5spd/ gone but not forgotten. 04 Jetta GLS TDI /Tiptronic
oil filter adapter

Interesting. I have been thinking about how I want to install a bypass filter on a BEW that I just got.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I have used pipe to JIC adapters on the ones I installed here and I was just using the threads that most aftermarket oil filter adapters are using.
Next batch I can look at the ORB fittings.
Our adapter does have the small oil supply passage that mirrors the OEM unit.
It does not need the drain down or bypass functions since I use filters that have a bypass valve in them, most filters have a bypass built in.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Excellent! I know that the cost of machining and the cost of adapters is higher, but the result is - in my opinion - a better connection. I would be interested in knowing the cost difference on the machining side.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
In my experience, Machining cost is about a wash:

NPT = Pre-drill to minor thread diameter then tap - Tapping has to be done carefully as it's a tapered tap. Can't go too deep or too shallow or the mating fitting won't work
SAE = Pre-drill (less than thread minor diameter) then form tool then tap. All are high speed operations

You can get SAE form tools that will drill the rough hole, pre-drill all in one, but they're generally expensive compared to the additional machine time. He's not likely constrained by the machining time anyway.

The NPT tapping/inspection process is also much more controlled/involved than a straight thread port so that end of it typically cancels out any machining time advantage.

All of this may be irrelevant depending on how evguy1 has his process setup.

Fittings/adapters are a negligible cost difference - Can't seem to find the quotes now but they're within a few pennies on a fitting that is less than $2.00 regardless if you're going NPT to JIC, NPT to ORS, SAE to ORS, SAE to JIC, etc

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
This is an old thread. I did change to ORB threads in these plates back in early 2017 along with a few other minor changes.

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
will this fit a blt? should be the same as an asz/bew

Sent from my ASUS_Z01KDA using Tapatalk