Oil Filter Housing Cap?

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Hi,

I recently brought this oil filer cup wrench

and i was wondering what the best tool was to use to tighten the oil filter cap as it needs tightening to 25nm? I was thinking of using a 3/8 torque wrench as that's the size of the oil filter cup wrench but I worried it might be too big?

Thanks

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If 25 nm falls somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range of your torque wrench's range, it'll at least be accurate. There's always drive adapters to convert larger/smaller drivers to 3/8, and they shouldn't alter the torque.

Honestly, though, I've never used one of those on my Jetta - I use a "strap wrench" (looks like someone cut a hunk of fan belt and attached one end to a handle), and I just snug it down good. Never had an issue with leaks, and fairly sure I've not overtorqued (on the assumption that before I could get too tight the wrench would slip.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've never needed a tool to remove the thing (2 hand grip of death) and never a torque wrench to tighten. There is a big round o-ring on the base, you want it just tight enough to compress the o-ring. Very similar to any car.
That tool will make it all the easier.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
I was more worried about the amount of space i would have between the oiler filter cap and front of the car if i was to use a 3/8 torque wrench. Am guessing i'll be ok.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The sealing is not done by how much you tighten the cap, it's sealed by the O ring on the ID/OD surfaces. Just snug enough to keep the cap from backing off is all that's needed.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Use some lubricant for the o-ring....and threads, actually. My ancestors swung farther from dee tree and I can't pinch-grunt that hard with bare hands....so I need to use an "end-socket-type" cap wrench and 3/8 inch ratchet to carefully tighten.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
You need only to make the surface of the cap meet the surface of the canister. That sucker is never gonna shake loose and unwind three or four revolutions to leak. I have fought with some customer cars where it took an 18" ratchet to break loose the cap.