Oil Filter and Skid Plate

4breezes

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm fairly new to the Jetta world, and am starting the learning curve for my 2014 JSW. Therefore my questions will be pretty basic for a while.

I'll be putting a skid plate on my Jetta, primarily because of the road I drive to get to my daughter's house. Following a storm there is frequently debris in the road, trees and branches, rocks up to basketball size and even larger. I have the skid plate, and have removed the plastic dust shield.

My concern centers around oil changes. I have a suction unit I'll be using to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. No problem there. OTOH, I see no easy way to replace the oil filter. That filter is scheduled for every 10,000 miles, along with the oil. As nearly as I can see I'll have to remove the skid plate in order to replace the oil filter. Am I missing something here? Am I really adding to my oil change workload simply by installing the skid plate?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Assuming you have the CJAA in your Jetta as I do, your oil filter is easily accessible from the top of the engine compartment. Note that the filter is a canister type, not a spin-on. You may have to push a hose out of the way but a socket wrench will loosen and remove the oil filter cap then you can simply lift the filter out upward. Place some rags around the filter canister to control the inevitable minor spill.

4breezes

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thank you sir. Now that I have displayed my lack of Jetta knowledge, is there a "Jetta CJAA Book for Dummies"?

4breezes

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I have an owner's manual, and have actually read it, cover to cover, most of it. It came with the Jetta when I bought it in January, at 65xxx miles. The manual pack, 1 larger book and 3 smaller books, appeared to be brand new, as though they had never been opened.

What it is lacking, for my use, is instructions in how to do things, where to find specific things. As an example, I need to change the oil prior to an extended road trip, since I have no record of the last previous change. You've said that the filter is accessible from above, but I haven't found it yet. I'm guessing it's under the big, fancy, covering, but I hesitate to simply pull that to remove it. I'm afraid I'll need basic instruction for many jobs until I'm more familiar with the Jetta.

This is a whole new ball game for me. My other diesel is a 1992 Ford F350, with a 7.3 liter engine. I'm fairly competent on that. It has no electronics controlling the engine. The Jetta, though...

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
You can google and watch youtube videos for many of the easier maintenance tasks.

For example, googling " VW mk6 tdi oil change" Will get you heading in the right direction.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Understand. My previous was a 36 year old Mercedes Diesel.

Just pull up on that worthless cover and it will snap off at the four corners. Replace it by lining up with the oil filler hole and snap it back down on each corner.

Your filter is in the front left (driver) side of the engine. A round black can with a 32mm (1-1/4") hex. O-ring is attached. A new one should be included with the filter.

Note: Tried to attach a photo but my skills are not up to it.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I just did an oil change last week.
If you have not figured out what type of oil you need, don't start a new thread, god forbid.

You need an oil that meets a certain requirement for your diesel. it must be 507.00 rated.

The best deal on it right now seems to be the mobil 1 ESP full synthetic at autozone for about $35 for 5 qt. jug.
Do NOT use a STP filter as it looks correct but the skinny part won't seal properly in the base.
I like the Mann filter.

4breezes

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks. I was in a rush, and lacking expertise, I got the oil and filter at the VW dealer, and therefore paid a king's ransom for them.

My next concern with be the fact that I have only a single key fob. A second fob is quite expensive, though I'm sure you all know that. Following that I'll want what is necessary to scan everything. I'm saving my lunch money now.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
the oil extractor leaves about 1/8 quart of oil in your engine. but it's really good for getting the oil out of the oil filter housing- the best way to change the oil is first suck most of it out with the extractor out of the dipstick tube and oil filter housing- stick the tube into all of the holes in the housing- then get under the car and drain the rest out of the oil pan. with very little oil left at that point, you make much less of a mess. here's a pretty good video, only thing i would add is that you don't need to move the coolant line to get to the oil filter cap- use a ratchet with a long extension, stick the extension down in between the lines and attach the socket with your other hand underneath the lines. also for god's sake use a funnel to fill the oil filter housing with new oil- this guy appears to pour oil all over the engine..

the skid plate is MANDATORY in my opinion. i have the evolution imports one and it's taken some HITS for the team. don't bother cutting the hole out for the oil change port- it's easy enough to take off for an oil change, and you get to see the bottom of your engine when you take it off. the drain plug is horizontal anyway, so chances are if you take it off through the hole with the skid plate still attached, you'll dump dirty oil all over the inside of your skid plate.