Oil filler cap came loose for 2nd time.

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
First time was after a 1200 mile trip to Florida. Trace oil on hood, cap laying in engine compartment. Didn't see it at first; VW for a replacement. Happened again last night. Cap gone for good this time but had the new cap on hand. Hard to believe this could happen. 2015 GSW

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Hard to believe indeed. Are you sure nothing is broken? Send a few pics over so people can comment.

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Cleaned the underside of the hood this morning. Oil all over of course. Checked the filler cap again. It seems to seat alright. with a quiet little click, I suppose the old cap that's popped off twice could have been defective and I'll have no more problems but have to say a child of 4 could twist that cap off. Takes little pressure. With that massive vacuum leak wouldn't I be seeing an engine code? And the engine ran normally. I would send pics but there's nothing to see. Just a cap that should take a little more torque to remove.

s_ribs

TDI
2015 Golf S
When I changed the oil last year I noticed the fill cap went on a bit too easy. Picked up a new cap and verified the old caps rubber gasket was meaningfully compressed. I was surprised but at least a new cap solved things.

Ironically, my fuel cap seems to come on/off a bit too easy lately as well...

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I recently noticed some wetness around my oil fill cap. I popped the cap off, which felt normal, and I didn't think anything looked weird. Cleaned it up and put the cap back on, which also felt normal. But I will be ordering a new cap and comparing the gasket for sure.