Oil feed line to turbo leaking at oil cooler banjo bolt

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
A few months ago I replaced the turbo on my brother's 2002 Jetta TDI. Last Friday he sprung a leak between the oil cooler (or whatever part of the "engine" that this line attaches to, under the oil filter...) and the oil line at the banjo bolt washer. Tightening the bolt does not stop the leak.

Has anyone seen this before. Thoughts on root cause or what part needs to be replaced? My initial thought is to get a new banjo bolt and washers and see if that solves the problem, but I'm worried it could be the oil line itself or the female threads on the engine side.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Those washers are called "crush washers" and they need to be replaces whenever the banjo bolt is loosened or they are very likely to leak. The dealer carries them and they do not cost much - even at the dealer.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Thanks. The washers were replaced with the line back in January. Plan A is to replace the banjo bolt and washers and hopes that's all it is. It's not clear why the bolt loosened or started leaking after so much time leak free.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Is the line routed correctly? Are the line clamps being used? Mis routing and a lack of support will put stress on the line. I bet you've got a hairline crack near the banjo.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Use another unmolested ALH to verify line routing. Especially around the coolant lines where the line wraps around to the back of the motor.

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
I did have my line crack right where the steel line and the banjo are conected. Had to replace the line. The car only had mybe around 12000 miles on it.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Sorry a bit late I just gave my new one to Lug_nut.
Sorry Beta

The Ho5G might have one around I'll look.