oil extraction via dipstick hole

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
got a 2012 b7 tdi passat estate blue motion, i wanted to do my oil change via dipstick hole but the hole is very narrow the tube is only 6 mm but i cannot enter it.
would i need to remove the dipstick funnel to gain access?
any help much appreciated
regards
grahamneil

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
No you just need a more narrow extractor hose. I use a Topsider and it came with several different size hoses and one of them fit fine. You can get clear tubing at hardware stores.

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
hi Jesse
yes went to local aquarium shop got 2 metres of 6mm clear tubing fitted into dipstick hole just right. the tubing that came with oil extractor pump was 10mm !!! any way sorted now with your good advice.
also many thanks for quick reply
regards
grahamneil

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I had bought a PELA extractor years ago and it came with 3 different fairly stiff suction "hoses".
I have also bought an extractor at Princess Auto and it too came with 3 different "hoses".
In my opinion that aquarium hose will not work too well or not at all since your engine oil should be pretty hot before sucking it out !!!
So what and where did the OP get his extractor?

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
greetings
got the extractor pump from e bay, it only came with one hose ( 10mm ) very stiff hose. it would not go down the dipstick hole, so i got the piece of 6mm hose from aquarium shop.
looking at u tube it does say the oil has to be hot to aid extraction so i shall have to get a length of stiff hosing, i think 6mm is about as big as it will take, interested to know any different view
its great to have the access to the knowledge of the TDI Club foroms, many thanks to all

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Don't know for sure if VW is similarly made but I'll bet it is. Had an old Diesel Benz that I did oil extraction on exclusively. On that engine, the dipstick tube extended to the lowest point in the oil pan. I simply fastened the oil extractor tube to the TOP OF THE DIPSTICK GUIDE TUBE and used that to suck the oil out. It was simpler, cleaner and faster since the full diameter was usable.

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
hi
don't know how far dip tube goes down, but i have ordered a couple of reinforced hoses ill give it a try next week, ill report back to forum, let you know how it went.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I used to work in pneumatic controls and we used black 1/4" tubing which was stiff, but I could not say if it could be used to suck hot oil.
Home Depot may have it or possibly 1/4" copper tubing and then attach your tubing or hose.

Here is a nice unit from Princess Auto, they put it out on sale every once in a while at $ 49.99

Or the old standby which many TDI members use, a Pela at $ 59.99

Last edited:

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
hey thanks for that i will try the copper piping if the hoses i ordered don't work to well. i will have to see if there is a bend or curve in the dipstick route to sump.
thanks again

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Also, check with the FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) in your area to see about various sizes of hard (steel) brake lines they have available.

Last edited:

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
yet another great idea, brake pipe will be easier to source than copper tubing. it all depends on if there is no bend in dipstick route to sump i will try today to see with a rod.
many thanks Andy

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I have had a Pela extractor so long I I damaged the hose. Pela was happy to sell/send me a new hose. Pela's hose is similar to a bicycle brake cable outer sheath, vinyl jacket on a spiral wire. Good luck, John

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
good morning John
tested the dipstick route yesterday, there is a bend about half way down. so i have hoses that came with oil extractor 6mm & 8mm so i will use them.
is the car best on level ground or lifted at rear a little?
thanks for taking time to try to help me, as im in my late 70's everything gets harder to do. i use to lay under the car and drain from sump hole, but after watching oil removal from topside on u tube it seems a lot easier.
have a good day
stay safe
grahamneil

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
On my ALH I usually park it nose-down right by the garage door (due to driveway layout), but on the ALH the dipstick sits at the front of the pan. Considering that dealers (like MB) that do topside changes would be doing it with the car sitting in a shop service stall that's level/flat, as level as you can get is probably a pretty safe bet here. If you can only get close to level, try to figure out whether the dipstick is closer to the front or rear of the oil pan, and try to get the car positioned to be tipped in that direction, I'd think.

A little careful wiggling should allow you to get past that bend in the dipstick tube - after all, the dipstick itself has to get past it, right?

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
hi Rob
the dipstick is at front of sump, so may lift car a little at rear. the 6mm tube goes down with a push so here's hoping all will be well when i change oil next week. the u tube says to suck out the oil filter when the filter is removed so armed with lots of great advice i will do it and post a report on the forum
thanks a lot Rob

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
hi Jesse
yes went to local aquarium shop got 2 metres of 6mm clear tubing fitted into dipstick hole just right. the tubing that came with oil extractor pump was 10mm !!! any way sorted now with your good advice.
also many thanks for quick reply
regards
grahamneil
Yeah, some of the extractors have too big of tubing. The Pela 6000 tube is a perfect size and stiff (it's got some kind of metal coil) enough to push to the bottom of the oil pan. I use it on boat engines too.

Last edited:

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
might see if the pela hose fits the extractor ive got if any problem with the hose i have
cheers

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
hi Rob
the dipstick is at front of sump, so may lift car a little at rear. the 6mm tube goes down with a push so here's hoping all will be well when i change oil next week. the u tube says to suck out the oil filter when the filter is removed so armed with lots of great advice i will do it and post a report on the forum
thanks a lot Rob
Happy to be of help.

I extract from the filter housing on my car after I get everything I can get from the pan via dipstick tube - there's at least half a quart in there, I just poke around with the end of the tube into all the little nooks and crannies (mainly to find the one that's the port into the oil cooler below the filter housing on mine), and I always put at least one full quart of the new oil into the engine through the filter housing to ensure the system's not "running dry" anywhere when I go to restart the engine after finishing.

grahamneil

TDI
vw passat b7 2012
yes going to get every last drop i can including the filter housing, didnt think there would be as much as that but good idea priming oil filter with fresh oil before firing her up.
thanks for that Rob