Oil Everywhere

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
After stopping in Fredericksburg, Va for fuel I passed a slower car. I noticed a small cloud of black smoke. A couple of miles later the car was loosing power. After a little while longer I started to notice a white cloud of smoke. This is most evident when I let off of the go pedal and got back on it. I was thinking that I got bad fuel. Well, I made it into Pa. and stopped at the visitors center. After leaving the visitors center I noticed the check engine light was on then within a mile the oil light came on. I stopped at a safe location and looked at the engine and found oil all over the back. I had the car towed home I never smelled burnt oil during the trip.
After getting home I checked the oil level and there was none. I looked around to see if I could figure out where the leak is coming from but I cannot locate the source. I did find that there is oil in the tube that goes into the EGR then onto the intake. Now the egr is covered with oil.
Any ideas as to where to check for the source of the leak would be appreciated.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the exhaust side turbo shaft seal failed, then oil would be circulating through the exhaust and some would come into the intake via the EGR. This would, however, most likely lead to a runaway engine.

OK, that was my best shot.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
All these warnings... things progressively getting worse as you're driving the car... yet you keep driving it until the sump's empty/low oil light on.

Hmmm...

Mel

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
I never said that I was the sharpest tool in the shed. Plus I had tunnel vision since I was thinking it was bad fuel. I did find out that the turbo let go so a new one is going in.

Now I think I should replace the exhaust pipe because of all of the oil in it.

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
Thanks for the post. I have oil in the intake of the engine and the mechanic looked at it and pronounced the issue as the turbo. He is a good mechanic and have no reason to doubt him.