Oil everywhere under the hood - but no idea where from?

Jaxon

I just got back from a 2,500 km road trip with my 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. Went to check the oil today, and everywhere on the top of the engine, in behind the headlights on both sides, the firewall, etc is all coated in oil. I had no indication of this when I was driving, no smell, nothing. I'm 99% sure it's not engine oil, as it's a light brown, and my oil is where it should be. So that leaves transmission oil, or? I lifted the air box out to see if I could see trans oil there, there was some, but no more than anywhere else. It must have to be a fine mist because it is EVERYWHERE. Any thoughts as to where to start digging for a transmission oil leak? I haven't popped the skid plate off yet (I have a steel one) and a guy can't exactly just check the transmission fluid level. Could it be AC oil if my condensor exploded or something? Anyone experience anything like this before? Thanks!

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Cant see anything looking at it with the car running? Have you smelled it?

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Seems there are a lot of areas that these things can leak oil from, but only a few that will spray oil everywhere. I just hosed my engine bay down to try and pinpoint where all the oil is coming from. (Carbis new to me.) Just from the little driving I did yesterday, I could see the valve cover leaks, the turbo oil feed was seeping, and the oil fill cap needed a new gasket.

Jaxon

Well, I feel like an idiot - I had the car rust checked for the first time right before my road trip, and he sprayed the product all over under neat the hood, so that's what I'm seeing! Glad I didn't check the oil when I was on my trip as I would have panicked and tried finding a shop to take a look at it when I was on the road. All good, thanks for the replies though!