Oil cooler

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Hi Y'all,
not sure if this is the right place to ask:
On a GSW 2015 TDI S, manual, I would like to add an oil cooler to improve oil cooling during towing . During normal driving without a trailer, the oil would go to 236 to 240 F max. With the trailer, I peg at 278 F sometimes for a few minute at the time. Kind of high for my liking. Anyway to install an Oil cooler somewhere to lower the temp under duress?
Any input or ideas welcome.
Cheers,

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Solution in search of a problem. Besides, the underhood real estate is already pretty cramped, not lots of extra room for anything.

The factory heat exchanger is doing its job, however if you wanted to add something you'd likely have to tap into the engine's oiling system, which could potentially reduce oil volume to place it needs to go, as well as add a potential for a line to leak. Or you could add an additional [coolant] radiator, a small one, like the VR6 cars used, and tap into the hoses going to the heat exchanger already there, and perhaps reduce the temp of the coolant going into it beforehand. Still back to being faced with how to mount and route the coolant hoses and pipes, as well as the cooler itself.

ssalaun

TDI
Sportwagen S 2015
Hi Oilhammer
What you are saying is no one has come up with a solution to my problem, and the factory has nothing to offer as well as a plug and play. Bummer!
I'll look at the VR6 design and go from there.
Thank you for your input.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I said no one has found a problem, so there is no solution to come up with. :p

278F oil is not an issue.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
If you had high engine coolant temps perhaps as the cooling for the engine, engine oil and transmission are all from the main radiator and are cooled with water to oil heat exchangers if I recall correctly.