Oil cooler for turbo input?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Just one of those crazy, but potentially interesting ideas. Why haven't I seen an oil cooler in the input of a turbocharger? Logic would dictate that cooler oil is better for the turbo bearings and will potentially help the turbo last longer.

Thoughts?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
On the ALH there is an oil cooler in the base of the oil filter housing just before the turbo feed.
If anything, it would be good to cool the oil coming out of the turbo.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'm guessing its that because if your oil is hot enough for your turbo to benefit from the extra cooling then you should be concerned about the rest of the engine as well. I thought about a small oil cooler for my turbos but decided against because of what I just said.

Kevinski4

TDI
Just one of those crazy, but potentially interesting ideas. Why haven't I seen an oil cooler in the input of a turbocharger? Logic would dictate that cooler oil is better for the turbo bearings and will potentially help the turbo last longer.
Thoughts?
That's exactly where your OEM oil cooler is located.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Build one and sell it for a couple hundred, 'people' will buy it.

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The viscosity of oil suitable for an engine is generally far too thick to be ideal for the high speed bearings of a turbocharger. Turbomachinery oils typically run around 5 centistokes at 100ºC. 5W40 engine oils run around 14-15 centistokes at 100ºC. Excessively cool oil and the resultant high oil viscosity promotes unstable oil wedge development in high speed bearings. Oil whip or "whirl" (orbiting shaft motion) is caused by excessively high oil viscosity. Cold oil also contributes to bearing overheating as the high viscosity reduces oil flow through the bearing.

It is a compromise really. Cooling and the resultant thickening of the oil would most likely be detrimental to turbocharger performance and longevity, but would serve the low speed heavily loaded bearings of the engine quite well. Ideally, engine oil should be heated to obtain viscosity of less than 5 centistokes to work ideally in a turbocharger, and cooled to maintain a viscosity of 14-15 centistokes in the engine.
Very informative response - thank you!