Oil consumption

momofboyz

TDI
2003 jetta sportwagon
so i am going through a tank of oil about every 150 miles. I have quite a bit of smoke out the tailpipe and usually disappears after running for a few minutes but at first start up is bad. What could be happening to the oil? I dont see any leakage underneath, does seem to have some oil around the 2nd glowplug. also only getting about 450 miles on a tank which i think is only about 25-28 mpg so way lower than it should be getting.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Pull your lower boost pipe by the inter cooler. If it’s full of oil DONT DRIVE YOUR CAR……

Chances are your turbo is gonna give up the ghost and you may get a turbo run away.

Also pull off the inlet side of turbo and check the play for and aft and side to side. A little side to side is ok , for and aft not so good.

If on the off shoot chance that boost pipe has no to a couple of table spoons of oil in there than it could be your piston rings.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Might be leaking out the turbo exhaust side.
By a tank of oil you mean a quart right?

If it was going through the combustion process it might not smoke alot
because it's getting burned.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Major issue. If you don't have oil leaking out all over, it must be burning it. Start evaluating your internals, start with a compression check.