Oil Consumption and Sooty tail pipe

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Hello all,

My 2011 SportWagen has been burning about half a quart a week. I drive around 700 miles a week. the tail pipe always was clean, but it is black now. The DPF was replaced just 35K ago under warranty. Currently have 162k. It's been running fine no codes. Should I be worried?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I assume the tailpipe was clean after the first dpf replacement? That is a lot of oil for a CJAA to burn, but I don’t think the sooty tailpipe is directly related. Assuming the dpf will stop any smoke from oil burning the soot tells you the dpf is cracked, not much more. I suppose the dpf could have cracked because of oil carryover though.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
(Toyota in particular) are finding coked up iow tension oil rings the culprit. Since VW and so many other makes consider 1 qt every thousand miles acceptable it makes me wonder :cautious: about these car extended oil changes. I have always changed oil sooner than recommended and never had oil consumption issues. I think emmisions crazy low tension oil rings plus higher oci combined contribute to a fairly recent cause.The sales hype b.s.10k o.c.i. is a serious possibility. Every 1k mile per qt. would burn multiple extra oil changes worth. Not to mention trashed DPFs etc. You'd think that the same environmentalists that required the car to Emmitt flowers would be $hitting coal by now.

Last edited:

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
(Toyota in particular) are finding coked up iow tension oil rings the culprit. Since VW and so many other makes consider 1 qt every thousand miles acceptable it makes me wonder :cautious: about these car extended oil changes ...
I think there's reasonable evidence to suggest the 10K OCIs for the (small) 2.0T EA888 VAG petrol engine is a factor in excessive oil consumption.
We had a '09 A4Q that got new pistons from AoA in late '14 at about 97K miles due to failed rings; we were the 3rd owners and the car had a complete service history with dealers north of us in MI, so AoA took care of us. The '14 A4Q we have now is at 100K and uses a bit of oil between 3-5K OCIs lately, but not more than half a liter/quart. I think the quality of the motor oil is another factor -- the average driver who brings their Euro car to a kwik lube joint likely doesn't pay much attention to this until it's too late. --g

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The 10k interval is absolutely fine as long as you use a quality synthetic oil and aren't abusing the vehicle. When you're the third owner, you really don't know what kind of abuse the vehicle has been subjected to- even with service records.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
The 10k interval is absolutely fine as long as you use a quality synthetic oil and aren't abusing the vehicle.
Not sure how that would correlate with actual oil analysis averages. Our cjaa "universal average" Aluminum, chromium & iron (piston, ring & cylinder wear) is multiple x's higher than say my Subaru or Toyota.
cjaa universal averages
15,2 & 43
2.0 Subaru
3,0 & 8
3.3 Toyota
4,0 & 8
Even with the proper synthetic @ 10k all its life, the extreme heat from DPF regeneration x's new dieselgate excessive soot to burn off tune has got to take a toll and coking @ a minimal issue.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Assuming you're using a good synthetic, changing the oil every 3k or 5k miles isn't going to change the wear numbers appreciably on a per mile basis on the CJAA. Oil analysis tends to make certain owners hypochondriacal about their engines. I can pretty much guarantee your Subaru motor will be worn out/destroyed before the TDI, despite what you think those numbers seem to be showing you.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
i scanned for codes and there are none or any pending. i always check the intercooler piping for oil when I do oil changers and nothing. I use proper oil but i don't know what the previous owner used.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
ohh.... did you run carfax and see where she got served at for oil changes? hope not the Jiffy lube or others in the wrong category of oil change service places. I saw several JSWs with jiffy lube/others that are non VAG/Audi service/stealership or euro shops, I skip them. they are bound to have issues down the road.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The turbo is most likely worn and passing the oil. It probably passed enough to damage the relatively new dpf- and that's why you're seeing the soot. You should clean up the tailpipe well and see if it keeps accumulating soot.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I get it that many turbos have been condemned and changed for oil consumption issues and I'm sure many/most(?) justifiably so. But I'd also really be interested in hearing from anyone with a oil consumption issue a furbo did little if anything for oil use?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the tail pipe gets dirty in one commute trip of 140 miles
Yeah, the dpf is cracked then. You're probably out of warranty now, but if not, it should cover a new turbo and dpf. Though getting VW to cover a failing turbo that hasn't yet completely failed might be challenging.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Could there be any recourse since it was replaced only 40ish k ago to get another replacement? I know the epa has the 8 year 80k for emissions.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Could a bad dpf cause the oil consumption?
I’m trying to figure out what to do. Fix the dpf and flywheel rattling or just get something new. flywheel been rattling for months.
It’s not a great time to buy something new with rates high and not a lot of supply.
But at the same time it’s going to be a few grand to fix all this and might still be burning oil

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Plugged DPF could cause pressure imbalance on the hot and cold sides of the turbo, forcing oil into the exhaust. If you replace the DPF the oil consumption may go away, but it's also possible that the turbo has been damaged and will also need replacement.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Im having a hard time deciding between fixing or getting something new. The car is in great shape otherwise but DPF Flywheel and still has original suspension will really be costly. new cars are hard to get and interest rates also stop me lol i don't know!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You're in a bit of a bind. If you have someone do that work, you're probably looking at $5-7K in parts and labor, especially if you need a turbo. However, the car probably isn't worth much without having that work done, maybe $3K. If you want to keep it and drive it for a while, I would think it's worth fixing. But if you don't, you might be better off taking the loss and getting something else.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for your input, I drive 140 miles per day, and even if I get something used I don't know what I'm getting into. I saw a Golf R used but it has 160K on it and the dealer wants 17K for it. I can't finance a car with miles like that nor is it a good idea. If I got something new it would be a GTI and I looked for a base manual to no aval locally. I purchased My TDi for 6500 cash about 8 months ago. Thought it was in better shape mechanically than I thought. I have put 14K on it already. seems like fixing it is the way to go. If I found a GTi that was not overpriced new I might go for it but my time to make that call is wearing thin lol I will find one once all the parts show up lol I think I could handle the DPF work its just time-consuming and with young Kid that's hard. I still have my 2008 Passat to drive so i could just get it on stands and work on it all as i can lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you decide you want someone to repair it Mike Hevner (M&M Auto and Cycle) is about 30 miles from you in Montague NJ. He works on a lot of TDIs and does this kind of work all the time. He could also diagnose whether or not your turbo has failed. It might be worth going to see him just to find out what he thinks the car needs.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I have used mike many times. I had the car to him recently but things are not as they were there.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
i came across a service record i did not see that mentioned a hard start and the intercooler was probably frozen, says they cleaned the intercooler and was ok. and they also used 15w-40 in the car. i wonder if it was burning oil then and they thought putting thicker oil would help. im doomed