Oil Consumption - 2014 Q5

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Just wanted to find out what others are finding on oil consumption (or loss) over a 10K oil change. I am discovering I am needing another quart between oil changes. (Alert via the car's system.) Anyone else experiencing this? Is this something I should take up with the dealership for warranty. (Currently around 110K miles.)

Thank you for your input.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Have you seen any oil leaking under the car or any smoke under hard acceleration? With that mileage it could be going out the turbo? Even 1 quart per 10K miles, that is not to bad. On my last TDI, it used 1 quart at the oil change and it had 225k on it when I sold it.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Had the car over 3 oil change intervals absolutely 0 oil missing. Ir atleast none detected, by the computer or visual inspection of drained oil. I know my mk6 golf used about that much...

j2112morris

TDI
Have you seen any oil leaking under the car or any smoke under hard acceleration? With that mileage it could be going out the turbo? Even 1 quart per 10K miles, that is not to bad. On my last TDI, it used 1 quart at the oil change and it had 225k on it when I sold it.
No smoke and no oil in the usual parking spot in the garage. Would the turbo be covered under the extended warranty? I am taking it in for a "pit stop" tomorrow (glorified general visual check with fluid top off so they can change me for fluids.) I planned on telling them but don't know if I should push the issue or not.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
my leaking rear main didnt drip on driveway at all, was all caught by the underbody panels.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
The turbo should be covered by the extended warranty. If it doesn't work properly, the emissions would be out of spec and they would be in more trouble.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
Just wanted to find out what others are finding on oil consumption (or loss) over a 10K oil change. I am discovering I am needing another quart between oil changes. (Alert via the car's system.) Anyone else experiencing this? Is this something I should take up with the dealership for warranty. (Currently around 110K miles.)
My oil usage between oil changes at 15,000 km interval is 1/2 to 3/4 litre.

j2112morris

TDI
The turbo should be covered by the extended warranty. If it doesn't work properly, the emissions would be out of spec and they would be in more trouble.
How would the turbo be identified? I do not have any check engine lights on and, per the dealership, no visual indications of an oil leak. Thank you.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
drop the belly pans and if they are soaked in oil its pretty obvious..

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
You would need to check inside the charge pipes and also check the intercooler for oil inside of it. If you can get to the intake side of the turbo, check for in and out and axial play in the turbo shaft. If there is a lot of play, the seal could on its way out.