Oil consumption 2013 Passat tdi

domenic123

TDI
2013 passat sel
TDIClub Forums
VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)
2013 Passat
Hi everyone I'm looking for some help regarding oil consumption. I'm burning a litter of oil every 300 miles [highway miles] ,crazy. I put brand new turbo from the dealer i put brand new valve cover , oil filter housing .No leaks on the outside of the engine.The intercooler hose is full of oil everytime i chek it so im pretty sure the oil is coming out of turbo seals .Im runin 15w 40 castrol oil but i tried everything from motul to liqui molly same issue.All the installation has be done correctly drain oil line and everything .I run different test and came in the conclusion that i dont have a crank case ventilation issue no oil getting sucked from the valve cover .no blow by to restrict the drainage .i read somewhere here about the o2 sensor giving the wrong singal to the throttle beeing wide open leading the turbo veins to on open position i put new sensor from dealer . No oil on the exhaust side. Again i only drive mostly highway at 75 85 miles i know it has some effect on it but 1 liter per 300 miles is not acceptable.Any opinion is much appreciated

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
The question is why is your car using so much oil? Are you running any type of an oil catch can? I would verify that your PCV system is not somehow clogged. If the car is unable to purge excess pressure from PCV system, it will create higher oil pressure in oil sump. The oil movement from the turbo back to oil sump is governed by sump remaining at normal pressure. Oil seals are not true seals on the turbochargers, so any possible oil backup can lead to otherwise normal seals to leak.

I am speaking from experience. I was running an oil catch can on BMW 328d. I did not realize, but the filter on catch can clogged up, causing failure of PCV to release pressure. This caused massive turbo oil leak into the exhaust. Thankfully, I caught it early before a quart was eaten. Reversed the catch can back to stock, and no more oil loss. It is same level when I fill it as it is when I drain it 10k miles later. As for CKRA Passat TDI, since replacing valve cover, the oil level has so far remained consistent. You can argue that the car may have lost 1mm from the max mark since I changed it about 5k miles ago, but I think it is all related to what slope the car is on when I check the oil. So neither of my diesels consume any appreciable amount of oil. Yours requires additional investigation.

domenic123

TDI
2013 passat sel
I agree with you the valve cover is also new from the dealer . This engine doesn't have blow by at that level i also have checked vacum pump for leaks ..nothing.The reason that im posting here is because i have tried everything and i was hoping someone had the same issues and they found a fix .at this point im pointing to the turbocharger it may be faulty from factory and i was just unlucky.

hell.guardian

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
1 litre of oil in 300 miles is too high. How does your exhaust look, is it sooty? If yes, is it greasy or dry soot?
Any excessive regens?

How many kms or miles on the engine?

What I am trying to ascertain is if your engine is burning oil, which it can either through a faulty turbo (assuming the one you got installed is faulty) or due to worn-out piston rings.

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 2.0 TDI @ 180k
Turbo might be dying if it’s drinking oil like that.