Oil Change Needed?

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
Hi folks;

My 2015 Jetta just clicked over 65,000km. When that happened it triggered the oil change needed reminder.

Now, I had the oil changed at 57,000km (last fall) so while I need an oil change shortly it's not urgent. I figure that when the shop did the 60,000km service they didn't reset the oil change interval.

I've tried the reset steps in the manual but it doesn't seem to reset it. (after I release the double square button it just bongs and says oil change needed)

We're currently on a road trip and the car won't be back home for another couple of weeks (and at least 1500km).

Is the car reading the state of the oil and determining it's in need of a change, or am I just not competent enough to reset the indicator?

I don't have my VAG-COM cable with me but I could have it brought to me Friday to reset the indicator.

Or should I just try to find a local shop to do the oil change? (We're in the area for a week, but it is our only car, of course)

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
It is likely a Time or Mileage triggered event, so not critical to do the oil change now, especially since you know when it was last done! Yes, maybe they did not reset the computer, and maybe the reset steps you are using are not quite right either...

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hold 0.0, while holding 0.0 turn on ignition but don't start engine.
Release 0.0 as soon as ignition is on. Then press and hold 0.0 until display changes. Done

There's no oil health monitoring system on N/A mk7 tdis as far as I'm aware. Time/distance triggered whichever is first
8000km since oil change, keep driving. Vancouver is alot milder than Winnipeg, I do 15k before oil change

Adam90

TDI
2015 Jetta
were you able to figure it out? i have the same issue on my 2015 tdi. i do the procedure and the yellow light won't go off. I've tried with a scanner and still nothing. Is it a dealer only reset?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife's car has been reminding us of the oil change due to 12 months since the last. With the Covid shutdown, I think she's under 7000 miles since the last change.

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
were you able to figure it out? i have the same issue on my 2015 tdi. i do the procedure and the yellow light won't go off. I've tried with a scanner and still nothing. Is it a dealer only reset?

I have not been able to reset the light, I've tried everything I could find.

When the car gets back home in a week I'll try using my VCDS cable to see if that'll do it.

I wonder if the push button start causes issues with the reset procedure.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel white / corn silk
Look on you tube

I have not been able to reset the light, I've tried everything I could find.

When the car gets back home in a week I'll try using my VCDS cable to see if that'll do it.

I wonder if the push button start causes issues with the reset procedure.
Look on YouTube reset oil service on Vw Jetta tdi

adamizza

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SE
SOLID YELLOW OIL LIGHT means you have either too little or too much oil.
I have the same problem with my 2015 VW Passat TDI SE the next day I change the oil at the local VW shop.
I went back to the mechanic, he said: I need a hood clutch release ($85/part+2 hours labor).
I said No I don’t wanna go down that road.
I believe strongly what you said make sens, because last year I did not have any issue.
But the previous oil change I did experience the same problem.
Why? When I check the dipstick, it’s full up to the top top mark.
My question:
Do you guys recommend sucking a little bit oil to bring it to proper level?
Some TDI club members mentioned before that the amount of oil on the factory manual is incorrect.
Thanks to everyone.

Last edited:

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 13.6K RIP:04 Jetta TDI 285K
. I change my oil and filter every 10K and change the filter in between at 3K. I have changed ALL my diesels this way...I spose I am doing OK b/c everything else breaks down around it (doors, interior, glove box, window motors, leaks etc etc...)