oil change: 5K or 10K

Has your glovebox door broken?

• Change the oil??? Why deprive yourself the opportunity to get a new engine?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every 5K miles. Bad things will likely happen so just pay the extra money.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Re: oil change every 5K or 10K -> Only in America !!

Are all oils w/ a 505 rating suitable for 10k OCI in a pre-04 TDI. Case in point would be GC 0-30, which is 505, but only CF.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

Are all oils w/ a 505 rating suitable for 10k OCI in a pre-04 TDI. Case in point would be GC 0-30, which is 505, but only CF.
truman, I'd say that's a fair statement for cars sold in the NAmerica. The only exception I can think of is the B4 cars and they called for 7500 mile intervals on petro-based oil.

Most 505.00 oils will carry a CF rating, never CI-4, etc. VW's proprietary Castrol 505.00 is CF, not CI-4.

cmc

Veteran Member
Re: oil change every 5K or 10K -> Only in Americ

if 5K is better than 10K then surely 2K is better than 5K and every 500 miles is even better than 5K right? heck change the oil after every startup!

i think enough folks have done oil analyses on 10K to indicate that it will work just fine

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Thank you all! I wasn't expecting so much response in such little time! I now get to do a "I'm right" happy dance :)

I don't drive it like I stole it, because I'm paying over $3/gallon for diesel... and it's not even winter yet. Therefore, I feel the need to squeek every mile I possibly can (while remaining safe on the highway) out of each gallon!!
Your mileage will hardly drop at all if you rev it up to get to cruising speed, then cruise at a reasonable RPM.

By not using the engine correctly (DBWs break-in procedure) you could easily end up with hundreds of dollars worth of problems down the road. Clogged intake/EGR, low compression, flaky turbo are some I've seen on here from folks who babied the engine for 60,000 miles.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
oil change every 5K or 10K -> Only in America !!

I'm trying to make the point that certain folks are mired in 3 decade old information that is entirely invalid. There have been great advances in terms of euro technology pertaining to diesel cars and lubricants! All of us are reaping those benefits today.
In other words, "It's not your father's Oldsmobile".

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
oil change every 5K or 10K -> Only in America !!

That's right. My first VW was a '57 bug (I bought it in '73, I'm not THAT old), and it required a non-detergent oil change every 1500 miles. That would be every ten days to two weeks for me now.

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

Bob,

My Jetta's got over 90K miles on it... I think it's passed its break in period. You must have a different definition of "drive it like you stole it" than I do. IMO, The "stolen" cars on the highway are easily doing 80+ mph and weaving in and out of traffic to get to their destination 5-10 minutes faster. I consider those "stolen" cars a danger to themselves and the other vehicles being cut-off.

That said, I've got no problem shifting in the 3K rpms to help keep the intake manifold from clogging.

I did have measurable improvement in my fuel economy when I slowed down from 75 to 65mph. When gasoline was around $3/gallon, even the SUVs had slowed down too.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey

Stephanie; I think the "drive it like you stole it" refers to brisk acceleration once it is warmed up. I think the Bentley manual still recommends not exceeding 2600 Rpm until the temp gauge hits the third tick then you are good to go. I try to take it above 4000 Rpm at least once during the drive to work, usually in second gear if I can. Not only does it clean things out but it feels good and actually pulls away from the gassers who are driving more sedately now at the current price of gas. If you use good quality synthetic oil, rated for diesel operation, preferably 505.00 or better then a 10K OCI is great, in fact its probably conservative. My 2003 has around 80K miles and is going strong, currently using Castrol 5W40 Full Synthetic, the one made in Belgium for Mercedes, BMW and VW TDIs....