Oil burning from back of engine and exhaust

tpunch82

TDI
Pd130 bora
I have a 2002 1.9tdi bora which when bought produced an extreme amount of white/gray smoke the car is mapped and straight piped, there was a hybrid 1756 turbo in the car before I bought it which was taken out and downgraded to a pd100/105 turbo, last week I replaced that turbo with a pd150 millet turbo and while most of the smoke is gone there is still white/gray smoke coming from the engine bay and exhaust, could this be caused from missing or loose bolts in the turbo manifold that I missed or is it a bigger issue?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
could this be caused from missing or loose bolts in the turbo manifold that I missed or is it a bigger issue?
If you think you may have "missed bolts", you should check your work.
Did the car have a turbo go bad before you bought it?
If so, oil could have been dumped throughout the exhaust side, explaining the tailpipe smoke, and if there's no oil mess on the back of the engine itself, the smoke has to be coming from the turbo manifold I would think!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, if you had a bad turbo dump oil into the exhaust system it can take upwards of an hour of sustained highway driving to burn it all out. BTDT.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The last time I had a turbo failure with oil dumping into the exhaust, it took an almost 10 mile drive to clear it. At the start of the drive the cloud of smoke was so bad I couldn’t see the road behind me and every mosquito in two counties was choking.