Oil being used on ALH Jettas at 150k+ miles

Central IL TDI Driver

TDI
2002 Tornado Red Jetta TDI
For those who have made it to or WAY past 150,000 miles, what oil are you running? I currently have the Mobil 1 TDT in as no where in town the last time had anything else that met the rating. It also was on sale, a definite plus. I don't want to cut corners, as I want this car to go for a LONG, LONG time (7 years now, and almost 100k of the miles are of my own driving). Just wanting to see what others are doing. Seeing the Oil Analysis thread, I see a wide range of oils.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
For those who have made it to or WAY past 150,000 miles, what oil are you running? I currently have the Mobil 1 TDT in as no where in town the last time had anything else that met the rating. It also was on sale, a definite plus. I don't want to cut corners, as I want this car to go for a LONG, LONG time (7 years now, and almost 100k of the miles are of my own driving). Just wanting to see what others are doing. Seeing the Oil Analysis thread, I see a wide range of oils.
Let's see...in 2010 and at only 357k miles, my 02 Golf TDI running on this oil (previously labeled Mobil Delvac 1) got its 4th timing belt change. Given the car had lots of performance mods, I also had the head gasket replaced at this time as PM. Upon close inspection of the cylinder walls, the original factory honing marks (a very fine diagonal cross-hatched pattern) were still clearly visible, indicating practically ZERO wear, at least none worth worrying about. It was still way too early to tell how much farther I could go with it. :cool:

Last edited:

Central IL TDI Driver

TDI
Central, why would you NOT continue using this oil :confused:
Just seeing what else is out there. It IS readily available, meets one of the necessary standards, BUT, I see other good results with other alternatives. Not necessarily switching, just seeing what got others to this point and what they are doing.

Central IL TDI Driver

TDI
Let's see...in 2010 and at only 357k miles, my 02 Golf TDI running on this oil (previously labeled Mobil Delvac 1) got its 4th timing belt change. Given the car had lots of performance mods, I also had the head gasket replaced at this time as PM. Upon close inspection of the cylinder walls, the original factory honing marks (a very fine diagonal cross-hatched pattern) were still clearly visible, indicating practically ZERO wear, at least none worth worrying about. It was still way too early to tell how much farther I could go with it. :cool:
Thanks n1das. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. Glad to hear that even with performance mods, it holds up that well.

Jakeduece

TDI
Still looking
I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40, and so did the previous owner. My stock engine has just over 283k miles on it, and is running like a top! Very quiet, very smooth. Original turbo as well! Great oil, I will continue using it!

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Rotella 5W40 (switching to 0W40 next change though). Wix (NAPA Gold) filters with a 10,000 mile interval. Only oil loss is from a small leak on turbo drain which I'm fixing up right away, no oil use & runs great.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Rotella 5W40 (switching to 0W40 next change though). Wix (NAPA Gold) filters with a 10,000 mile interval. Only oil loss is from a small leak on turbo drain which I'm fixing up right away, no oil use & runs great.

Since I am still somewhat new with these cars, what do you mean by turbo drain?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I haven't seen an ALH with only 150k miles in years, LOL.

I'm running Castrol 5w40 in mine, it only has 462k though. The rest use Pentosin HP2 5w40.

Do we really need another oil thread? :p

Central IL TDI Driver

TDI

I'm running Castrol 5w40 in mine, it only has 462k though. The rest use Pentosin HP2 5w40.

Call it curiosity. :p I just want to do whatever I can to keep mine going as long as possible as, aside for a few PITA moments that have been costly, has been a really reliable, efficient road car that is fun to drive, even stock haha.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
I feel bad then, my 99.5 Jetta just turned 100k miles a few hundred miles ago!:eek:
If you want, I could send a picture of it! :D (the car, and odo)
Drive ON!

Michael396

TDI
2001 Beetle
Just turned 124K on my 2001 beetle. Using T-6 , but going to try Mobile 1 TDT next.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Does every oil becomes black right after an oil change? Mine does ( shell rotella t6 )

What bothers me the most is that there is a lot of oil that stays in the engine after removing the drain plug from the oil pan. The oil filter case has a lotttt of it down there and also in all the turbo piping, etc...

I'm guessing there is more than half a pint of old oil staying in the engine... that's a good amount in my opinion...

Is it possible to (this is really a suggestion) let's say unplug the injection pump, crank the engine a few revolution to bring all that old oil back to the oil pan and drain it?

What is wrong with that?

G.b.

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Almost any turbo diesel will have black oil after just a few minutes of run time. Soot suspension in the oil and part of what you need in an oil.

It's not a bad thing, don't worry about it.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Does every oil becomes black right after an oil change? Mine does ( shell rotella t6 ) yes

What bothers me the most is that there is a lot of oil that stays in the engine after removing the drain plug from the oil pan. The oil filter case has a lotttt of it down there and also in all the turbo piping, etc...
you can suck this out with a MightyVac or similar if you like

I'm guessing there is more than half a pint of old oil staying in the engine... that's a good amount in my opinion...

Is it possible to (this is really a suggestion) let's say unplug the injection pump, crank the engine a few revolution to bring all that old oil back to the oil pan and drain it?

What is wrong with that?

G.b.
What do you mean by unplugging the IP? the electrical connector?
At any rate, I would not try this to move the oil to the oilpan. Just suck it out of the oil cooler and don't worry about the rest.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Yep, i meant unplugging the electrical connector to prevent the pump from injecting...

But yeah, I could suck the oil from the cooler with a long srynge type transmission oil filler!
Great idea!

thanks
g.b.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
What are you doing, locking it up in the winter? Shame on you! ;)
Well, yes, it goes into storage mostly. It don't get warm driving it to or from work (14 miles) in the winter..
so I drive the van which gets warm in less than 2 miles in winter.:eek: If the weather
is bad, I drive the truck.
Its 4x4 so its better in the snow and ice, but it don't warm up much faster than the TDI
Keeping the salt off it is a good reason too.. :D But mostly my driving
needs have changed over the years. On most of my longer trips, I am hauling "stuff" and 3 or 4 people for a vacation outing.. This year, Branson Mo in 2 weeks, Dayton OH in about a month and a half, Pittsburg KS in Sept. Maybe 1 week driving across Iowa supporting a bike ride with 10-20 bike riders in our group..otherwise..
Most of these trips are with 2 or 3 bicycles, camping gear, cooler and gas grill... you get the idea!
I would also like to attend TDIfest this year, if work and family stuff permit.
It would be good to get the TDI out and drive it a bit.
By the way, not that it means anything, but I have been running 2 of my 3 diesels on Rotella T synthetic 5w-40.
The TDI and the Cummins in the truck. The MB gets regular Rotella 15w-40.
The Cummins engine has 125,000 miles on it, tuned to about 410HP and around 900 F/LB torque for just under 100k of it.
The van, a gasser:( has close to 70K miles in 3 years, and gets Mobil 1 5w-20.
Drive ON!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
T6 and TDT, whichever is easier/cheaper to get at a given time.

I'm near 200k miles and burn near-zero oil between changes -- maybe a third of a quart.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I'll use anything that meets standards. My trusted mechanic uses 505.01, but I have used Rotella T6 in the past, all with equal positive results.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Have 273,000 miles, and I have used Mobil 1 TDT 5w 40 (or whatever it was called earlier) since 15,000 miles.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Does every oil becomes black right after an oil change? Mine does ( shell rotella t6 )

What is wrong with that?

G.b.
There are a couple holes in the oil filter housing, one goes all the way into oil cooler. I use a sucker with 1/4" poly hose and dip it way down there and suck the cooler dry. After doing that, my oil stays yellow (sorta) much longer.

No need to fiddle with IP and crank or anything like that.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
Using a Mityvac I suck the oil housing holes which holds about 4 ounces of oil. 390,000 miles using Delvac 1 then TDT. Cummins gets Rotella T6 as it takes 3 gallons.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
163k, Rotella T6 5w40 since I got it at 125k. Zero issues. Had to replace a turbo because the Michigan and Ohio road salt ate a hole in the actuator and was causing boosting issues....and when the turbo was removed there was a good bit of wiggle in the shaft.

Rock solid since then, I burn about a half quart in 10k miles. Mann or Wix filter.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I just sold a 2000 Jetta to my brother with ~360k miles on it.. the last 80k of which had a VNT17, big nozzles, a tune, and a downpipe.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 since new (back then it was Delvac, IIRC)

Recently averaged 51mpg @70mph for a 2000 mile roadtrip.

Under the valve cover you could wipe the oil off and eat dinner. (figuratively) ZERO varnish.

Using a Pela or other oil extractor to suck the oil out of the filter housing and oil cooler assembly, and draining the pan totally from the bottom, results in the oil being LESS black just after a change.. but it's still got soot in it. Pretty much impossible to have it look like new oil without doing 2-3 fresh oil flushes first.