Oil additives for Winter temps?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
* Sorry if this thread if this has been talked about. Did a quick search for this and really only found fuel related questions. *

Being new to owning a TDI and being in Canada, we see some cold temperatures. I know the southern parts dont see AS bad as the nothern parts but since I travel to the northern parts where it dips down to -30C - -40C, I thought Id ask this question.

Are there any oil additives to help wear on the engines in cold temps? Or would the block heater help warm up the oil/coolant? Just curious as I know when its cold in the mornings, the oil does take a bit to circulate to the head and whatnot. Just trying to do some precautions to help keep this engine running long and smoothly.

Thanks!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
No. No. And NO!
Have no idea which version TDI you own (there are different oil specs for various versions) and some oils will meet spec in 0w formulations.
Additives are snake oil.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Block heater is a wonderful choice. Generally, the Frost Heater is a coolant warming system people have used. See this video:

It also helps a lot if you store it in an attached garage, if possible.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
A FrostHeater brand coolant heater kit (your engine has no frost plugs for a traditional block heater) is the standard tool of choice for many Canadian TDIers, and a great Canadian place to get 'em is Roseland Technical Services in NS: roselandtech.ca (not affiliated, just a happy repeat customer)

Would not drive a TDI in northern Canada without one. Don't need it too often, but when you do you do, and it's so nice to have cabin heat almost instantly.

The fuel stations do a very good job of supplying winterized fuel when needed, so the actual need for additional fuel additives is probably debatable, and *very* debatable for oil, assuming you're using a reputable brand in the first place.

One possible exception for fuel additives might be if your car lives in a heated garage all night and sits in a frozen parking lot all day; something that removes condensation might be a thought if this is the case.

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
What do you guys think about the heater that comes with the car? Is that coolant only? I was thinking of using that one if it helps warm up both cooland and oil.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
No. No. And NO!
Have no idea which version TDI you own (there are different oil specs for various versions) and some oils will meet spec in 0w formulations.
Additives are snake oil.
I use the oil that VW recommends and what they sell at the dealer which I believe is Mobil-1 5w30 full synthetic. I also do my oil changes every 10,000kms (6200 miles)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If your car is an '09 or newer tdi you are probably getting 0w-30 from the dealer. The coolant/block heater will help things warm up quicker, but I wouldn't worry about cold start wear much with the 0w-30- it flows just fine, even at -40.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
If you want the deluxe, get a Webasto diesel fired pre-heater. But they're spendy.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I live in northern Canada with my ‘12. Now, I’m deleted so run different than spec oil, but 5w30 is ok for -30, -40. 0wxx is even better. I just run the factory block heater. I have it on a timer, on 15-20 min per hour above about -20, below that in a cold snap I leave it plugged in 24/7. If it sits at work for a week it usually starts just fine. Glow it twice if you feel like it. I’ve used fuel additive (white power service bottle) all year round.
Change the fuel filter at the recommended times, keep a spare filter on hand if they are not stocked locally. I also keep a jug of kerosene and/or Diesel 911 in the back during the winter ‘just in case’. Only needed it once in my 2000 that had water in the tank from bad fuel.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I live in northern Canada with my ‘12. Now, I’m deleted so run different than spec oil, but 5w30 is ok for -30, -40. 0wxx is even better. I just run the factory block heater. I have it on a timer, on 15-20 min per hour above about -20, below that in a cold snap I leave it plugged in 24/7. If it sits at work for a week it usually starts just fine. Glow it twice if you feel like it. I’ve used fuel additive (white power service bottle) all year round.
Change the fuel filter at the recommended times, keep a spare filter on hand if they are not stocked locally. I also keep a jug of kerosene and/or Diesel 911 in the back during the winter ‘just in case’. Only needed it once in my 2000 that had water in the tank from bad fuel.
Good to know. I guess around temps like -10C and whatnot, its fine to not use the heater. I guess when we get into the colder months of the winter, Id use the block heater. Im guessing like -15 or colder, leave it plugged in over night. Thanks for the info!