Oh joy... MORE fun!!

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hey gang,

Well, what’s that old adage...

if you want something done right, do it yourself!

I paid some supposedly decent mechanic to do a full timing belt job on Sunny before I took off for Utah. Well, I come to find out He didn’t set the pump timing, and sort of half-assed it back together.

I have needed those 30mm shims to try properly align the water pump pulley and power steering pulleys, So as to not wear out the V belt, so I tore into that wuick and easy project early this morning.I expected this job to take about 30 minutes.

I was wrong!

The mechanic torqued those 6 mm Allen head bolts WAAAAAYYYY over the recommended amount (18 ft/lbs?) To the point where, after strippiing out the Allen heads I resorted to heat and drilling and chisels. Many hours later, after FINALLY getting the 3 bolts out, and ruining the nice new water pump, I find that I will basically need to do the complete timing belt job again. This time I will do it myself!

A few quick questions here:

1. Has anyone improvised a way to remove the camshaft sprocket without the proper tools? I was planning to purchase these tools but did not get around to it(since I PAID someone to do it for me, I didn’t think it was urgent!) Unlike my old 1.6, I don’t seem to have a way to hold the sprocket in place while I loosen the bolt

2.my extra timing belt is New from Contitech, but has a date of 4/2015, as I bought it for a spare. Would you all put this brand new but at least five year old belt on your tdi?

Thanks again for everyone’s help with my issues!

Regards
Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sorry to hear of your woes with the mechanic work, a lot of times it's hit or miss with that...mostly miss in my book.

I use a cheap HF 'holding' tool for camshaft, it works but I think I modded it a little maybe. Highly recommended not to try it with a cam lock plate, that can break the other end.

I would probably use the timing belt but that's just me. I have used older ones than that but not on any vehicle I've worked on for someone else. I'm not actually sure where the dates are on those. Seems I have a new conti belt that's older than that on the shelf right now.

Steve

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You can remove the cam pulley by striking it from the rear with a punch. there is a plastic casting mark in the rear timing belt cover that lines up with the edge of the belt pulley. Carefully drill that out with a 1/4" bit and use a 1/4" drift to knock the pullet off (once you have loosened the cam bolt a few turns).

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
hey Steve,

thanks... I have a friend who may lend me his tools, but he has to get them back from some OTHER friend first... Ill take a look at the HF crap, and see if it'll do the trick in a pinch

I may call Contitech tomorrow and ask their opinion on how old a belt can be before it's too old to install

thanks again!

Steve

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
hey Windex!

Thanks... it's the BOLT I need to loosen... sorry if i didn't make that clear. (the old belt is off now, and I need SOME way to hold sprocket while trying to loosen the big bolt). I do know better than use the cam locking plate

regards,
Steve

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
A length of 2x4 with two grade 8 bolts through it.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks MOGolf

I may try that tomorrow!

regards,
Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I just use an impact on that cam bolt. Pops it right off.

I’ve removed many stripped hex bolts with Irwin bolt outs. Makes it too easy.... I have the smaller set, but looked into the larger set.

My buddy said the $30 HF set worked fine for him.

-Todd

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
hi Todd,

I borrowed a local TDI club member's tools and made short work of it.

thanks,
Steve

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks again Bob!

Now I've replaced the IP, and and trying to chase down some electrical gremlins.

I Still need to get my Rosstech VCDS to work... it's a computer issue, not a Rosstech issue as far as I can tell.

I leave early morning Thursday for KW... towing my O'Day Mariner down behind Sunny... wish me luck!

I haven't had a chance to get up to my storage place to get pix of those seats you wanted yet... when I return I'll make it a priority!

regards,
Steve