OFFICIAL Ontario "Whats it worth thread"

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Looking for a value to argue with my insurance company:, No skid plate hit man hole cover and drained all my oil... engine seized within probably 5 or 6 seconds after light came on.
Dude that is exactly what happened to me, except I managed to shut it off in time so the engine didn't seize. However if they write the car off, it probably doesn't matter.

For replacement value the way it was explained to me is that they have software that examines all the current prices of similar vehicles in the area. Problem is at the age of our cars, a lot of ads are "as-is" and they don't allow for that. I think they originally offered me $2000 and we finally settled on $3200 once I argued and also proved that I put new tires on it this year.

NieBoy

TDI
05' Jetta wagon TDI
thats kind of the range I was expecting, although I put in a new engine about 3 years ago so it only has about 80 k on it. Not so happy that I have to say goodbye to this car especially bc it would probably run for a long time still but I guess thats the argument for the steel skid plate :) Thanks for your opinion.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi,

Looking for a value to argue with my insurance company:, No skid plate hit man hole cover and drained all my oil... engine seized within probably 5 or 6 seconds after light came on.

340 k ( only about 100 on new engine replaced by dealer bc of tech breaking ceramic glowplug tip in engine and cranking)

everything else runs great, minor interior trim defects , interior drivers door needs replacing, driver seat leather is worn our at one seam.

rear hatch needs replacing (rusted out around corner of window), superficial wheel rim rust.

Thats pretty much it, no MODS, just various age related rusting and trim issues that is relatively easy to fix.

I was looking forward to many more years with this baby as my spare car but unfortunately I didn't get a skid plate and thinking the insurance will offer a buy out, I am curious what its worth. Also any thoughts on cost of a BEW engine to replace the dead on would be appreciated ( I have a guy who might put it in for 400)

Thanks for any opinions
See if you can buy it back from them, if the body is that good it's worth putting another engine in it.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
See if you can buy it back from them, if the body is that good it's worth putting another engine in it.
Good advice. I think my ins offered mine to me for $200 or something, but if I did that they were going to reduce my payout by more than $200. I never bothered getting to the bottom of that since when I went to the body shop to get something else I left in the car I found out a homeless person had been living in it. Basically made a mess of the entire interior. So I opted out of the buyback.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Wagons are sought after vehicles. Find a good used engine and keep the car going. visit www.car-part.com to find a used engine. Lots available ranging in price from $400 to $1000 for a complete engine.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
What's it worth? Private and trade.
2006 Golf TDI BEW 5 speed manual, midnight blue.
220,000 km
VNT-17 under one year ago
Koni Reds, Kerma TDI springs and a 1" lift, roughly a year ago.
DG Sigma 5 shifter
SBC Stage 2 daily clutch with 14 lb SMF
Heavy aluminum skid plate from user volksparts. Monterey 15" alloys and new Pirelli P4 tires.
Brakes all 4 corners last year (I am harder on brakes, though...)
4 new glow plugs.
Brake fluid just flushed.
Bluetooth single DIN aftermarket radio + cheap extra gauges. Have original radio also.

Needs:
fenders (pre-approved for rust recall, just not done yet).
TB/WP
camshaft and lifters (replaced 2011, but I'm starting to hear thump-thump-thump)
ECU tune to match new turbo (drives, but surges...)
Fuel filter
Lift pump (didn't prime fuel filter well last time around)
Front pass door lock module/wiring (locks and unlocks manually only)
Rear wiper motor (washer tube seized/leaking)
Rear hatch latch motor (see leaking rear washer above - hatch opens with key only)
Wiper control module/hatch wiring Front wipers stay on permanently unless fuse for rear wiper is pulled then they work normally
Potentially a starter - it's original.
Valve guides if it ever needs a head job - blue plume of smoke every time it fires up after sitting off for a while. More than the usual puff, but still innocuous...

5w40 Rotella T6 run exclusively since the original cam change, oil changed every 6-8 months regardless of mileage (most maintenance has been due to time vs mileage; short commute for a diesel all its life).

Refundable deposit is down on a bought-back 2015 6 speed TDI GSW Trendline with under 50K on it (and priced about 3-5k below other similar offerings). It's pretty immaculate, and I like it equally as much as my Golf (maybe even more, when you factor in the ride/handling and the room) but I'm really debating keep & fix mine or sell/trade and buy up. If I did all work myself, keep is dead-nuts no-brainer, but I don't have much free time for DIY anymore. At the same time, I worry about the complexity of the Mk7 and what that means down the road, and car payments either suck or just plain suck.

Anyway, let's start with "what it's worth" and go from there...

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
What’s it worth? Private and trade.
2006 Golf TDI BEW 5 speed manual, midnight blue.
220,000 km
QUOTE]

This car sounds beat.. and needs a ton of work. You may be best to pull the plus parts off and sell them privately and part the rest or sell it whole for cheap in my opinion.

I am sure you're looking for 'maybe $2500', but I cant see it being worth over $1000-$1200 unless it views better than you speak of it haha.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
This car sounds beat.. and needs a ton of work. You may be best to pull the plus parts off and sell them privately and part the rest or sell it whole for cheap in my opinion.

I am sure you're looking for 'maybe $2500', but I cant see it being worth over $1000-$1200 unless it views better than you speak of it haha.
Thanks. Yeah, I feared as much. I've put easily that much into it in the last couple of years (*#$/ing turbo! :mad:), which is the frustrating bit. (Hi self, welcome to cars!) Visually, the interior is in okay shape once I hockey-stick the clutter out of the back seat and give it a good vac and wipe - it's been an eat-sleep-work kind of year. The little plastic trim piece under the climate controls won't stay on, that's about it. The exterior is solid rust-wise (ignoring the fenders: floor, rockers, etc.); it could use a few stone chips addressed and could use a heluva lot of clay-barring (if you're into that sort of thing).

It still gets me from A to B for the time being, anyway.

Given enough time, I suppose I could pull the Dieselgeek shift linkage and toss the old golf club back on), and perhaps swap the OE springs in for the HD springs + lift kit, to help support some of the "start-up costs" for the new one (5x112 steelies, mk7 skid plate, weathertech...).

Anyone happen to have some spring compressors and a MN strut wrench they could loan me?

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
Winner winner chicken dinner! Sadly...

Oh well, new(er) one is on the way. Pulled the trigger!
Now to assemble the goodies for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Trying to work out the numbers on whether to try and put this piece back on the road:

2006 VW Jetta Wagon 340k, 5spd, red, "Boondocks Edition"
Fenders, hatch rusted through. Driver door and rear quarterpanel have palm-sized rust patches. Warranty till end of Jan, but PO rattle-canned them (will still make an appointment). Cloth interior, not clean but with a detail would be OK, small tear in driver's bolster. Last TB date unknown. Car was born in Quebec and spent last 6 or so years in Ontario.

Needs:
-Windshield
-Caliper(s) and e-brake cables
-Shifter cable
-Driver door lock module and lock cylinder
-Alternator pulley+tensioner

Those are the things I know off my head without having it on a lift yet. At least it has regular oil changes and new wheel bearings...

How much as-is and how much after repairs?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI, 2010 Touareg TDI
Trying to work out the numbers on whether to try and put this piece back on the road:

Fenders, hatch rusted through. Driver door and rear quarterpanel have palm-sized rust patches. Warranty till end of Jan, but PO rattle-canned them (will still make an appointment). Cloth interior, not clean but with a detail would be OK, small tear in driver's bolster. Last TB date unknown. Car was born in Quebec and spent last 6 or so years in Ontario.

Needs:
-Windshield
-Shifter cable

Those are the things I know off my head without having it on a lift yet. At least it has regular oil changes and new wheel bearings...

If the quarter panel is not original paint...there goes the warranty. Regardless of the rust or not, VW will most likely deny it since the PO has messed with it and made it worse.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi

Needs:
-Windshield
-Shifter cable

Sounds like a $500 car to me. At least that is what I would offer.

SigPig

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
2004 TDI Golf 415+kms

Ordered a new Golf back in October, should be here by March. Delay is due to the spec/colour I ordered.

I'm not sure If I'll keep my current Golf as a spare or not when the time comes. I guess it all depends on what I can fetch for it.

2004 TDI Golf GLS
415,000+ kms and climbing
two full sets of wheels/tires (winter, all-season)
Malone Stage II
no rust to speak of, small spots in rock chips.

in the last year or so I've added/replaced the following items
Shocks, Struts, Springs (Bilstein, H&R)
Rotors, Pads (Brembo, VW/Audi)
Radiator
Fuel Pumps
Cylinder Head and injectors
Timing belt Kit

Most likely a few other things that I'm forgetting.
I have a folder of all the receipts since the car was new. I am not the original owner.
runs great, not a single issue since the head was installed.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ordered a new Golf back in October, should be here by March. Delay is due to the spec/colour I ordered.

I'm not sure If I'll keep my current Golf as a spare or not when the time comes. I guess it all depends on what I can fetch for it.

2004 TDI Golf GLS
415,000+ kms and climbing
two full sets of wheels/tires (winter, all-season)
Malone Stage II
no rust to speak of, small spots in rock chips.

in the last year or so I've added/replaced the following items
Shocks, Struts, Springs (Bilstein, H&R)
Rotors, Pads (Brembo, VW/Audi)
Radiator
Fuel Pumps
Cylinder Head and injectors
Timing belt Kit

Most likely a few other things that I'm forgetting.
I have a folder of all the receipts since the car was new. I am not the original owner.
runs great, not a single issue since the head was installed.
Manual or Automatic transmission?

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
2006 Bew wagon with some rust.
215k kms
Rides well, tbelt done recently
Automatic

What would be a fair offer as is?

TDIMB

TDI
04 golf
Hello everyone I am new to TDI ownership This is my first post. I have a 04 VW Golf Tdi and I have a question about myturbo it works normally until the engine warms up then it seems like the turbo shuts off with no pull.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Hello everyone I am new to TDI ownership This is my first post. I have a 04 VW Golf Tdi and I have a question about myturbo it works normally until the engine warms up then it seems like the turbo shuts off with no pull.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance
Google "limp mode tdi"
This isn't really the right thread to ask a question like that.

fracan

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport
2004 Jetta TDI Sport, Spice red
Manual transmission
195,000km
New Continental TruContact tires at 176,000km

Little patch of rust beneath the rear license plate
A couple small scratches

It is/was my first new car, took good care and have all service documentation

Last edited:

ryth

TDI
2001 Golf
2001 Golf hatchback. manual. Stock.

What should I be asking for? I'm looking for something fair to buyer and me, not looking necessarily for max $$, want everyone to be happy.

2001 Golf TDI
Manual

* Runs great, but starts rough in the extreme cold.
* Leather seats (heated, but not wired).
* Fully functional (and non-leaky ?) sunroof
* water pump replaced in last 20k
* needs timing belt in 30k
* New (ish) all weather tires (<20k)
* Had rust in the usual rocker/fender area, which I had professionally fixed.
* Needs brakes done soonish.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What should I be asking for? I'm looking for something fair to buyer and me, not looking necessarily for max $$, want everyone to be happy.
2001 Golf TDI
Manual
* Runs great, but starts rough in the extreme cold.
* Leather seats (heated, but not wired).
* Fully functional (and non-leaky ?) sunroof
* water pump replaced in last 20k
* needs timing belt in 30k
* New (ish) all weather tires (<20k)
* Had rust in the usual rocker/fender area, which I had professionally fixed.
* Needs brakes done soonish.
If it comes with safety then you should be able to get $2500. I selling it as-is then $2K.

Djphonics

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Hey guys,

I've got a 2003 Jetta wagon, alh with a 5 speed. The car has some rust on the fenders, a bit on the driver's door, and rocker panels, and hatch.

The dmf just started making some noise. The driver's window falls off the track when it's all the down but pushes into place easily. The glove box doesn't close.

The car has 378km, water pump and timing belt done at 315 (no receipt). I'm technically the second owner. Car has an aftermarket deck, but I have the original.

It's a gls model with leather and a sunroof.

What do you think it's worth?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys,
I've got a 2003 Jetta wagon, alh with a 5 speed. The car has some rust on the fenders, a bit on the driver's door, and rocker panels, and hatch.
The dmf just started making some noise. The driver's window falls off the track when it's all the down but pushes into place easily. The glove box doesn't close.
The car has 378km, water pump and timing belt done at 315 (no receipt). I'm technically the second owner. Car has an aftermarket deck, but I have the original.
It's a gls model with leather and a sunroof.
What do you think it's worth?
Rust repairs will run about 2k, replacing dmf/clutch nearly 1k, so it's worth maybe 1k as is.

Simon

Cesar F.

TDI
2001 and 2011 Jetta Highline
2001 Jetta Tdi Highline with 120k manual transmission, no rust all stock with factory body kit all round, color is silver.
How much?

Cesar F.

TDI
2001 and 2011 Jetta Highline
2001 or 2011? Don't think they made a "Highline" in 2001.
My bad I meant to say that it was the top of the line meaning leather seats and all the upgraded goods available (according to previous owner)
My 2011 Jetta Highline is only worth 11000,just curious for my 2001

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
OFFICIAL Ontario &quot;Whats it worth thread&quot;

It’s time to sell off my car. Wanted to know what’s a fair price for it. Will be selling as-is. We drive it locally...

2006 VW Golf GLS TDI (Black)
PD engine (MK4 Body style)
366,400 kms
Automatic

Most of my work was done with Brandon @ DCB Auto.

The good
—————
2 set of keys
Timing belt kit replaced at 320K
FrostHeater
Glow plugs replaced
Power steering rack replaced
A radiator fan was replaced
Leather heated seats
Heated mirrors
Sunroof fully functions
3 spoke steering wheel
VW city golf head unit (usb/aux ports)
Husky Floorliners F+R
GTI tail lights
Skid plate
Dog mount for turbo
Struts replaced, 355k
Wheel bearings replaced, 355k

The bad
————-
Hood switch stop working
Rear hatch switch stop working
Cannot unlock/lock any doors with keys
E-brake doesn’t work
Solenoids/speed sensor need replacing

I have no interest in parting it out. What’s a fair price? Would like to know before posting up on Kijiji.

2006 VW Golf GLS TDI on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: