Official offer less than charts

Jesse_James

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I got the official Final offer buyback on the 2012 Passat SEL.

$15,450.00 Vehicle return amount
$6,076.73 Additional Restitution amount if I keep
-----------------------
This is the offer BEFORE mileage difference of (current mileage) 87100 on an allowance of 21,250 for an adjustment 65,800 over-allowance.

However on the chart, att._1a_-_buyback_modification_table.pdf
the amount is:
$23,357.00
$6382 Additional Restitution amount if I keep.

My question is what happens if I disagree with the final offer which I feel is too low?

Jesse

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You don't add the two numbers on the table--the first column is the full buyback amount; the second column is the restitution, which is the amount you'd get if you had the fix done (if there were a fix for your car to begin with, which there isn't yet). And both of them are higher than you'd see because of your mileage.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
The two unknowns are: how many miles does VW presume you'll turn in with? And what month will you turn in?

Despite the unknowns, VW will pay based on actual mileage and month, which is often at odds with what's stated on the offer letter.

The only time there's been a real disagreement in the tally is with some 2015 models for which estimated values were published in the original tables, and were adjusted in the final settlement but never re-published.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm a bit confused by what you're stating.

Here is what I come up with for your car assuming a February Turn-in:

Baseline Buyback Amount with no mileage Adjustment (includes restitution) = $23,267
Options = $0 since its a loaded SEL
Mileage Adjustment = 87100 - (17months x 1042 miles/month) = 69,386 miles for a deduction of - $1,740

Total buyback based on Feb turn in would be $23,267 - $1,740 = $21,527
Which happens to equal $15,450 + $6,077 = $21,527

So what they are quoting you sounds exactly correct for your car.

The offer letters break it down by the Vehicle Return Amount, which is the NADA book value from Sept '15 and the restitution value, which is also adjusted based on mileage. VW does use the mileage you entered when registering on the website to estimate the turn-in number, so your offer is already adjusted for the 87,100 miles on the car. If you drive more or less than 1042 miles per month since you first registered the claim, you may fall into another mileage bracket which will result in a final higher or lower number than the offer estimate. They use 5,000 mile increments for each adjustment. Keep that in mind since you're bouncing around the 70k mile number after adjustment.

In your case you see the following which jibes with your total buyback offer.

$15,450.00 Vehicle return amount (NADA mileage adjusted value)
$6,076.73 Additional Restitution (Mileage adjusted restitution payment)

If you opted for the fix assuming it ever happens, you would receive the $6,076.73. The tables can be a bit confusing because they include the restitution in the total figure.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Just thought I would mention I'm on the phone right now because I also actually got short changed on the mileage adjustment. The legal chart shows I fell in the +$300 range, however VW only gave me $250... they are claiming that the chart is just a "guide\estimate"

Right now, I'm on hold becuase I asked if they could tell me where in the court documents it was claimed that Attachment 2B was an estimate?

If they short everyone $50... well that is alot of savings...

.... Post back... so when the person came back to the line, she basically said this...

"So in the next couple of days, you should be getting an e-mail from JP morgan to top off the balance"...

I then clarified... "So I have already gotten 2 from them. The first was for my half. The second was for the second half (I had paid off the loan during this process)... and you are saying I am going to get a 3rd for the missing $50"...

To which she said "yes".

I think they are lying but I guess we'll see. Ironic how they were all willing to keep the extra $50 until I asked "prove it to me".

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it isn't an estimate--man, the phone reps are clueless. What are the details (mileage and options), and did you buy the car in another state?

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
No, it isn't an estimate--man, the phone reps are clueless. What are the details (mileage and options), and did you buy the car in another state?
Correct--it's NOT an estimate.
Regarding regional differences (and $50 sounds like it could be that), I believe VW is basing the regional adjustment on the ORIGINAL state of purchase. Since da_jokker just paid off a loan on a 2009 vehicle, it could be a pre-owned vehicle that had originally been purchased in another region.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI

CHawk

TDI
How do I calculate the amount I am eligible to receive?
To calculate your total amount from the FTC charts, follow these four steps:

Step 1: Start with either the chart for owners or the chart for lessees. Find your vehicle by model, year, body style, and region. Use the region where your car was registered in September 2015.
Can you find where it says that in the settlement? I'd really like to find it because it would get me a few extra dollars.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
YEsss.

Under Approved Class Action Settlement Agreement, Exhibit 1 - Benefits, Paragraph 11 (page 4)

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/PSC/Approved Exhibit 1 - Benefits.pdf

a. NADA Region. The Base Value for each Eligible Vehicle, excepting MY 2015
vehicles with derived values, shall be determined using the NADA region that
includes the state of the Eligible Vehicle’s last known vehicle registration as of
September 2015 that was relied upon to arrive at the Funding Pool.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Thanks all, and not looking to high jack the thread. (I started another one).

But no it's not region, it's not value, all the numbers jives with the calculations correctly except for the mileage. Had I continued to drive the car I would have been at the +/- $0 bracket, but I purposely parked the car for two months to put me in the next lower bracket, so I was well aware of the expected $300 bonus.

Only to be fed some BS line about being an estimate.

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't get to hung up on their improper use of "estimate," it's the word VW uses on the offer letters: "$xx,xxx.xx ESTIMATED amount VW will pay you."

Not that whomever you're speaking with is correct in their understanding of the nuance of how this is being used, but the word is there in black and white.

If they're telling you an additional Chase pay is being dispatched, I'd presume they're beyond the blowing smoke phase.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I also received $321.00 less then the offer was, noone could give me any reason of why. The reps said it might be related to mileage, but after registering the same VIN again with differetn name and putting higher mileage than the mileage at the turn in was my estimate came out exactly as the offer was, so I dont think the mileage was the reason. They referred me to VWCouncil and after making two phone calls ( only was able to leave a message) and the email I got no response from anybody.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I also received $321.00 less then the offer was, noone could give me any reason of why. The reps said it might be related to mileage, but after registering the same VIN again with differetn name and putting higher mileage than the mileage at the turn in was my estimate came out exactly as the offer was, so I dont think the mileage was the reason. They referred me to VWCouncil and after making two phone calls ( only was able to leave a message) and the email I got no response from anybody.
On the claim site, in the faq section, there is one title something like "what can I do if the buyback amount is not what I expected". Under it they talk about how to fIle a discrepency and it is using snail mail I believe. A pain, but if you think you have your facts right, then for $300 , it's probably worth it.

FYI, I'm going to jump off this thread not to high jack any more and move my responses to http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=474801

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I don’t think that Volkswagen’s ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation is accurate. Can I appeal this decision?

Yes. If you believe you are eligible to receive benefits under the Settlement Program or that your offer amount is incorrect, you may appeal the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed neutral who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.
Your request must include the following information:

• Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number.
  • A brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation was in error.
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.

looks like you can send it via email too

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
got a phone call from the VWCouncil and was told "according to their calculations" I got the right amount. They also said had I returned the car sooner or a few days later I would have gotten more. I explained that I had no control over how early I can turn the car in, it is dependent on when the offer was sent and the appointment scheduling approved, or I could have waited a few days or weeks had I been informed this would make an impact on the payout, but noone seems to care. They said I can file an appeal but its probably not gonna get me anywhere at all.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
They also said had I returned the car sooner or a few days later I would have gotten more. I explained that I had no control over how early I can turn the car in, it is dependent on when the offer was sent and the appointment scheduling approved, or I could have waited a few days or weeks had I been informed this would make an impact on the payout, but noone seems to care.
That turns out to be a two sided coin. To the unsuspecting, picking the "wrong" turn in date can cost money. To someone attempting to maximize the buy back value, the tables paint a clear map of dates vs. mileage to hit a particular target.

Not everybody is in a position to limit monthly mileage or park their car and wait, but for anyone who can, delaying the buyback date is never detrimental to final value.

CHawk

TDI
...though insurance and other expenses will, at least somewhat, offset this benefit.
True, though be careful. I was going to turn in my Golf early to save on insurance and registration. Checked with my insurance company for the new rate on our remaining car. It was almost the same as I'm currently paying for both because they jack up the rate if you're a one-car household.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I've been buying cars to flip--haven't been a one-car household, or in any danger of being one, for a long time. But that's something else worth considering.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I have the same issue. my original paperwork from VW said my car was worth. my buy back is the 15th.

original numbers from December
$16,825
$6,351.73
$23,176.73 total

last email from them
$15,900.00
$6,166.73
$22,066.73

why the change? I am within 50 miles of 80k.

CHawk

TDI
I have the same issue. my original paperwork from VW said my car was worth. my buy back is the 15th.

original numbers from December
$16,825
$6,351.73
$23,176.73 total

last email from them
$15,900.00
$6,166.73
$22,066.73

why the change? I am within 50 miles of 80k.
In a nutshell, your projected March 15 mileage as calculated in December is probably less than your latest projection. The only value that's important is what the settlement tables tell you your car is worth for the mileage and date of turn in. That's what you need to calculate.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Sardo, we need more information to be able to determine if you're being shorted.

Year ?
Model ?
Options ?
Mileage entered in December?
Mileage today - 79950

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
2014. Nav, 6spd 80k

How does the buy back differ that much? I filled out my stuff way back with added mileage to 80k I believe

How do both offers drop though?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
The offer in the original paperwork VW sent me.

Offer amounts in the reminder email.

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
We still don't know what the offer is for, re my previous post.

We can guess the discrepancy is due to month and mileage, that's the only variable. What does the calculator I linked to say you should receive?

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
got a phone call from the VWCouncil and was told "according to their calculations" I got the right amount. They also said had I returned the car sooner or a few days later I would have gotten more. I explained that I had no control over how early I can turn the car in, it is dependent on when the offer was sent and the appointment scheduling approved, or I could have waited a few days or weeks had I been informed this would make an impact on the payout, but noone seems to care. They said I can file an appeal but its probably not gonna get me anywhere at all.
The mileage adjustment tables are posted online for your perusal. There's been much discussion about the 1042 mile per month allowance. There's been discussion that the number of months since September 2015 is incremented on the first of the month.

Just who do think should have been responsible for informing you that the timing of your turn-in would make an impact on the payout.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
We still don't know what the offer is for, re my previous post.

We can guess the discrepancy is due to month and mileage, that's the only variable. What does the calculator I linked to say you should receive?
BuyBack Modification Car $23,777 $6,452 Options $1,830 $305 Mileage $-2,700 $-450 Adjustment $0 $0 Total $22,907 $6,307
that one says is should get 22,907

Last edited: