Official list of HPFP Failures

Weeman

TDI
2006 Jetta brm dsg
2006 tdi brm dsg transmission

Car starts fine goes in revers no problem but soon as put in drive car quits. Anyone have anything to tell me to look for? I installed new crank sensor didn’t help any I’m getting no codes on Ross tech

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Car starts fine goes in revers no problem but soon as put in drive car quits. Anyone have anything to tell me to look for? I installed new crank sensor didn’t help any I’m getting no codes on Ross tech
Start a post in the proper car area, this is for CR fuel pump failures.

MaroonB4

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with three pedals
Year: 2011
Build Date: 07/2010
Make/Model: JSW
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 131026
Diesel Fuel Source: WalMart
Additives: no
Problem: HPFP failure. Metal shavings under n290 valve and rust located in fuel filter
Dealer: Garlyn Shelton VW Temple, TX

Failure was sudden. Crusing along and got the dreaded flashing glow plug light, warning message, and extreme loss of power. Coasted to a stop and towed it to the dealer. Absolutely no funny business or bad fuel denials from them. Dropped off 10 Sep and it was completed on the 15th. Service writer informed me this was the 5th or 6th HPFP failure he has seen. From the technician notes "performed bulletin 23-17-06 replaced full fuel system and cleaned fuel tank added new fuel and programmed injector flow rates"

Very satisfied with the result!!

Chertz

TDI
Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
Build Date: 11/2010
Make/Model: Audi Q7
Tranny: 8 speed
Mileage: 87,500
Diesel Fuel Source: Casey's \ Shell
Additives: Power Service White in winter
Problem: HPFP failure.
Dealer: Audi of Orland Park, Orland Park, IL

Same failure mode as previous post... Failure was sudden. Crusing along and got the dreaded flashing glow plug light, warning message, and extreme loss of power. Coasted to a stop and towed it to the dealer. Did not attempt to restart. Dealer claimed he has heard of this failure but never actually seen one. Took 5 days to get approval to repair it. Dealer covering 100%, and providing a brand new Audi loaner. Estimates 2 or 3 weeks to complete.

Red64

TDI
2005 New Beetle, 2014 Sportwagen
Year: 2014
Build Date: Not sure
Tranny: 6DSG
Mileage: 44,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Unknown, new owner.
Problem: HPFP failure. Loss of fuel pressure no metal shavings in the system.

Failure was very quick no warning, car would run normally when cool but as soon as the fuel got warm the pump could not generate more than 900 Bar. Checked all the filters and mesh strainers, and had the ejectors checked and cleaned, found no metal.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Did you know that the hpfp is covered under the emmisions extended warranty? Might want to see is VWOA will reimburse you.

freehugs

TDI
2011 Sportwagen DSG
Tranny: 6DSG
Mileage: 97,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Speedway
Problem: HPFP failure. Glitter in n290 valve.

Was driving home, got engine lights and a bucking from the motor. Went into limp mode. Was only 1 mile from house. Car ran in limp mode for that 1 mile. Pulled the codes... got the dreaded low fuel pressure code. Pulled off the n290 valve and saw an impressive amount of glitter.
Had it towed to the dealership 2 days later. Took another 3 days for them to replace the entire fuel system. Dealer was pretty cool about everything.

I have noticed that my car tends to "surge" or "hang" a slight amount when I let off the throttle. Not sure what that's about, but I have considered trying the 're-calibrate the throttle position sensor' function on my scan tool. Haven't heard of this problem from anyone else, and I'm not sure if it's related to the HPFP replacement, or just from having the battery disconnected for a long time.

Michael B

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have noticed that my car tends to "surge" or "hang" a slight amount when I let off the throttle. Not sure what that's about, but I have considered trying the 're-calibrate the throttle position sensor' function on my scan tool. Haven't heard of this problem from anyone else, and I'm not sure if it's related to the HPFP replacement, or just from having the battery disconnected for a long time.
Well, if it's what happened to me, they put my fuel line in backwards, so my car was doing some weird hanging and surging like you describe. I would want them to double check they got everything in correctly, because they didn't believe me when I first mentioned it, and it wasn't for a while until I took it to another VW dealership who figured it out... but it was a headache trying to get money back from the other dealership for the charge of having the other one diagnose and fix the problem.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
One is the feed line and the other is the return. I've read here a few times of the techs accidentally swapping them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That makes more sense. Makes me belive they must be slightly different sizes then.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
One would think, though IRC they are both same size ! IMO, In order to save a few pennies, they omitted any kind of markings at the tank fuel pump.

Bradgil_2006

TDI
Audi A3
Another TDi added to the HPFP failure list.

Year: 2012
Make/Model: A3
Tranny:
Mileage: 49,800
Diesel Fuel Source: multiple but last fuel up was Murphy
Problem: HPFP failure. Glitter in n290 valve. Fuel test failed at dealership. Independent lab verified no contamination. State lab verified no station contamination Sample was taken within 12 hours of incident.
Status: dealer says fuel test failed not covered under warranty. Audi customer care won’t call me back. Frustrated and only owned the car for 3 months not even registered yet.

Any advice to get this moving under warranty would be greatly appreciated.. I’m thinking that I may need to consult with a lawyer.

thanks for any advice..

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Show the dealer the independent verification results and the state verification results and tell them your next step is a lawyer. I would think they'll do a "courtesy" replacement.

gmfain

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Year: 2015
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Mileage:135K
Diesel Fuel Source: Race Trak
Additives: (Yes/No) no
Problem: Bucking and Jerking
Dealer: Alpharetta Ga, Nalley VW

Status: Replaced complete fuel system 4-7-2021 ,under warranty......... Now in for fuel leak, and still Bucking and jerking. 4-14-2021

Last edited:

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Year: 2010
Build Date:
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Mileage:206,068
Diesel Fuel Source: Don't remember, was on road trip
Additives: No
Problem: Surging quickly followed by misfire under load that progressed rapidly toward multiple misfires. During trip, about 5 hours before this happened it threw 3 codes for each of the 4 glow plugs at the same time, no longer has those codes, suspect it was a wiring problem where the harness had worn through against the oil filter housing.
Dealer: Repaired in home garage, 9,000 miles out of warranty
Swapped in a used 114,000 mile engine and have had no problems in the first 100 miles. While cleaning fuel system, found rust plugging up a lot of the fuel screen in the lift pump and some grit in the filter housing up front but no significant amount of water or presence of contaminated fuel when I drained the tank through the old filter so that was not the failure mode, most likely failed due to mileage/wear.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Another TDi added to the HPFP failure list.

Year: 2012
Make/Model: A3
Tranny:
Mileage: 49,800
Diesel Fuel Source: multiple but last fuel up was Murphy
Problem: HPFP failure. Glitter in n290 valve. Fuel test failed at dealership. Independent lab verified no contamination. State lab verified no station contamination Sample was taken within 12 hours of incident.
Status: dealer says fuel test failed not covered under warranty. Audi customer care won’t call me back. Frustrated and only owned the car for 3 months not even registered yet.

Any advice to get this moving under warranty would be greatly appreciated.. I’m thinking that I may need to consult with a lawyer.

thanks for any advice..
Please contact me about your HPFP failure. I've had my SECOND pump fail at approx. 40-50k AFTER the original pump being replaced under the dieselgate warranty. I think it's time for a class action lawsuit AND and the start of notification with our State's attorney generals and the consumer protection agency. VW group had the dieselgate tuning scandal cost them billions and give'em a bad image. This is absolutely as chronic/severe

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Also the attorney that handled the FTC case against VW in the dieselgate scandal is Jonathan Cohen, 202-326-2551, jcohen@ftc.gov. I consider this a different, ongoing and growing problem that VW needs to take responsibility for. This isn't a "clean diesel" issue, it's a substandard factory supplied assembly being replaced by ANOTHER substandard factory supplied assembly. We, the consumers, are being ripped-off. The NTHSA should also be being notified of the ongoing common part failures on these cars. A complaint can be filed by a Google search of P10034 on the NHTSA.gov website THEY CAN push VW to do something about the HPFP, the intake manifold flap failures, the icing on the intercoolers, etc. This is nonsense that we have to tolerate or "settle for" repeat failing parts. It's like FORD with their 6.0 head gasket issues and auto trans failures where it's nearly CERTAIN to happen at some point. I understand being here on the Forum as an "enthusiast", but my enthusiasm is fading fast. Think of having your kid, grandparent, etc...having the car suddenly die, in the worst places and being either in a very dangerous place or FAR from a VW repair place. This is intolerable.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We, longterm owners of CR diesels, have all been done this path, including filing and an investigation by NHTSA. NHTSA did not find enough correlation and failures to force VW do a recall. I don't really want to drag another thread into the dreaded dieselgate rabbit hole. The biggest reasons I can see for not demanding a recall is that the percent of failures was too low and, IMHO, there was no loss of life or major property damage, no reason for a recall.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
We, longterm owners of CR diesels, have all been done this path, including filing and an investigation by NHTSA. NHTSA did not find enough correlation and failures to force VW do a recall. I don't really want to drag another thread into the dreaded dieselgate rabbit hole. The biggest reasons I can see for not demanding a recall is that the percent of failures was too low and, IMHO, there was no loss of life or major property damage, no reason for a recall.
When you say the % of failures WAS too low, how many years ago was that? I noticed the dieselgate issue first came up when many of these cars were still low in their mileage and it was early in the MKVI model and as such they hadn't had the time time rack up mileage as a particular generation. NOW it seems like there's more failures occurring as they have been "fixed' and sold back to the public. Consider, I lost the first pump about 10K short of the extended warranty ending and the ANOTHER one, with the full fuel system having been replaced in about 45K. The ALH engines could go hundreds of thousands of miles without pump failures, the BEW engines too, but the MKVI CJAA seems to have an appetite for for them and not just on the VW brand cars. That looks like the VAG supplying a part/parts that is LOW quality and perhaps THEIR supplier/suppliers should have to pay up on this problem. VW was VERY quick to settle of the dieselgate scandal and payout. I find it suspicious that this problem isn't being looked into the same way say, Ford with their junk trannies and head gaskets, was held accountable. I can't say anything will happen, but the more "wheels get squeaky" the more likely VAG will have to supply MORE "grease". I'm not suggesting a recall per say either, just that VW admit that there's an issue AND pay for it...some MORE:LOL:

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
I have a 2010 Jetta wagon at the dealership right now. Car died on my on the freeway. They are sending diags to VW to see why it can't start up, but they believe it's an HPFP + fuel lines issue. VW is denying warranty since it is at 130k miles. I've seen some posts here with > 120k miles that was done under warranty. How can I get VW to fix this for me under warranty? Dealership has talked to them, and dealership told me VW is denying it.

Any ideas?
Thanks

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When did you have your emissions work done? It should be covered under that if it's still active.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I have a 2010 Jetta wagon at the dealership right now. Car died on my on the freeway. They are sending diags to VW to see why it can't start up, but they believe it's an HPFP + fuel lines issue. VW is denying warranty since it is at 130k miles. I've seen some posts here with > 120k miles that was done under warranty. How can I get VW to fix this for me under warranty? Dealership has talked to them, and dealership told me VW is denying it.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Put your vin in here and see if it's still under warranty or not.

DoubleAsterisk

TDI
2011 JSW M/T
Build Date: Unsure
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 118k
Diesel Fuel Source: Last fill up at Stewart’s Shops. Definitely diesel, I keep receipts. Usually fill up at exxon or no-name truck stop
Problem: Left a rest area on the highway and started hearing turbo whine and lacking power. Limped it off the highway, scan tool gave P0299 (turbo underboost). I tried to take it to the dealer on local streets and it just died on me after about 5 miles.
Dealer: Mohegan Lake VW
Status: Dealer diagnosed HPFP failure and fixed under warranty. Car drives now but the turbo underboost remains, and they are now fixing this as well under warranty.

The service advisor said he was unsure why these two issues happened at once, and that they shouldn’t be connected. Any ideas? I’m at a loss.

JAHezik

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
question.... pretty sure the HPFP crapped the bed in my 2009 Jetta TDI. Theoretically, should be under the extended emissions warrantee.
HOWEVER.... my inhouse mechanic passed away in March this year, and he had done several upgrades to the Jetta. Turbo to a CR170, DPF delete, Malone tune, etc.
Pretty sure I can't take it to VW? (it would have to be towed). I would guess that they will not treat as warrantee work, let alone whether they would even agree to work on it? Has 170k or so miles on it, not many miles since he did the most recent set of upgrades.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since you have the DPF delete, I doubt that the VW garage will touch it. There have been a few threads about people rebuilding the fuel systems themselves but you'd have to find another mechanic to get it done right.

varia

TDI
jetta sportwagen tdi
Date of production 31.05.2011
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 103k/110K
Diesel Fuel Source: arco, chevron, sams club
Problem: Lost power (in both cases)
Dealer 1st: VW Bozzani - West Covina, CA
Dealer 2nd: VW Pasadena - Pasadena, CA
Status: First time the dealer diagnosed HPFP failure and fixed under warranty (car had 103K miles). It took them 3 and a half weeks.
Second time, the dealer diagnosed HPFP failure and fixing it under warranty (car had 110K miles).

In both cases, it was a text book HPFP failure, noticed some weird, loud noise then the car failed in 15-20 sec later. First time in the middle of the intersection, second time I was able pull over, both were extremely dangerous.

Ive read/heard somewhere that only the early (pre 2013) cars has this type of HPFP failures. But as I was reading these posts here, its not true, some of the cars are way newer.
Once mine is fixed (again), Im considering to selling it. I cant afford to repair it one more time out of my packet.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any diesel in the US from 07 to today is running the Bosch CP 4.x high pressure fuel pump except for GM trucks.

JAHezik

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Since you have the DPF delete, I doubt that the VW garage will touch it. There have been a few threads about people rebuilding the fuel systems themselves but you'd have to find another mechanic to get it done right.
I wish I had the mechanical knowledge to do the work myself.... I know enough to probably be dangerous. Parts for replacing the fuel rail parts is about $2700 at the parts site we usually bought from. Think they said + $500 core (for injectors, etc). I would imagine replacing HPFP is something a bit above the knowledge/ability that I have... :cautious: