Official list of HPFP Failures

rewwky

TDI
2013 Golf TDI w/Tech Package
Joe,
Thanks...status of my car is that is is sitting on a trailer in my driveway and not operational.

-Rob

Last edited:

Tdi93

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D 6M
And... Another one!

Hey guys so it happened to me! Here’s the info

Year: 2011
Build Date: March 2010
Make/Model: Golf TDI 4D
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 122,860
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP failed, metal shavings all over including filter
Dealer: VW Riverside and Ontario

6/12/15: driving with my 12 y/o brother to Stater Bros, speeds about 40 mph, moderate traffic, glow plug light comes on, loss of power, limp mode, and then car completely shut down. No control of the car whatsoever, hazards on immediately, emergency breaking the whole time. Hook up vagcom: HPFP and low pressure rail sensor. Get it towed home, contact vwoa, they deny case due to not having fuel guard installed. Called them again 3 times, asked to speak to a manager, get denied again! I filed complaints through BBB and NHTSA, but no luck. After 4 months of the TDI sitting in my garage and doing research, decided to buy new HPFP pump, injectors x4, and filter. (HPFP and injectors have 1 year warranty through VW).

10/2015: Tech does an amazing job on cleaning the whole fuel system including the fuel tank. Now, manager at VW tells me to come back to do the fuel guard recall asap. Also, states that HPFP is unlikely to fail again and that I might just see a drop of mpgs. That being said, God forbid a HPFP failure happens again; would VW cover costs since they fixed it even though I bought the parts and paid for labor? I am considering of buying microns kit, I love this car but just worrying too much about it! I find it funny and sad that VWoA blames it on the contamination of the diesel. I always pump at Chevron. I’m an EMT and the company I work for always pump diesel on the ambulances from Chevron and never had a problem. I’m thinking of trading it in for a civic or lancer, I like the golf but VW really has let me down. Volkswagen of Ontario by far the best customer service, but not vwoa!

Question: is it possible that the HPFP can fail again as of today’s date? Wouldn’t they make some changes to the pump? Read on the forums that just some numbers on the model number change…

Thanks guys, these forums do help a lot!!

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Why did you pay? Looks like the car is still under the extended HPFP warranty (barely).

Also - Looks like almost all of the failures are folks who don't use additives. Seems like the additives are working to some extent.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^Sorry you were denied, but VW has its own logic/reasons.

As for another failure, there HAVE been repeat failures, w/o any real proof of cause. You say your tech did an "amazing" job, but seriously, only time will tell. It's clear the slightest irregularity in fuel quality/contamination might cause a repeat failure.

That said, there seem to be hundreds of replaced HPFPs that are going strong, and even more that aren't failing in the first place!

(no one knows how the "upgraded" pumps were improved, except possibly harder, more durable internal coatings)

good luck with your repaired car! (hmmm...after sitting 4 months, I'd be concerned about battery condition, but that's just me. Fully charge it (disconnected) so you're starting with as close to 100% charge as possible)

Tdi93

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D 6M
Philth, first reason was b/c there was no fuel guard installed and second because of the 2k extra miles. I tried to fight it but I knew it was going to get denied. Thanks for your input.

Tdi93

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D 6M
tdiatlast, I am thinking of using an additive, any word of a good one? Battery is like new, took it to AutoZone and they charged it right up.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My dealer says $2500 from VWoA on a NEW car purchase, in addition to whatever you negotiate with the dealership, no trade required.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
tdiatlast, I am thinking of using an additive, any word of a good one? Battery is like new, took it to AutoZone and they charged it right up.
I personally like 8oz of Howes every tank. I use 2oz of Meaner Kleener and 8oz of Howes lube every tank. Did this in my 06 and have continued to do so in my 09.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

rewwky

TDI
I just wanted to pass a big THANKS to everyone who shared advice in my ongoing battle with VWOA and getting them to fully cover the HPFP failure...A third email was sent to Mr. Horn and his Ops VP stating more facts and referencing the goodwill gesture link where the media got involved for the TDI owner in Arizona...that third email resulted in a response via phone call to me within 24hrs...final outcome will be next Monday and will determine the way ahead.

Goatchs

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus 3.0L TDI
HPFP Failure

Year: 2010
Build Date: 07/10
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 56,866 at failure
Diesel Fuel Source: Misc including Chevron, Shell, Unocal 76, Valero--majority Propel HPR for last 9-12 months
Additives: Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity
Problem: HPFP failed
Dealer: VW of Vacaville (California)

Everything running normal until limp mode with flashing glow plug/CEL. Fortunately one mile from home and made it to driveway. Turned off engine, tried to restart and engine just turned over & over...no attempt to start. Towed to VW dealer. Fuel contaminant test was clean--repaired under warranty.

rewwky

TDI
Year: 2010
Build Date: 07/10
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Mileage: 56,866 at failure
Diesel Fuel Source: Misc including Chevron, Shell, Unocal 76, Valero--majority Propel HPR for last 9-12 months
Additives: Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity
Dealer: VW of Vacaville (California)

Everything running normal until limp mode with flashing glow plug/CEL. Fortunately one mile from home and made it to driveway. Turned off engine, tried to restart and engine just turned over & over...no attempt to start. Towed to VW dealer. Fuel contaminant test was clean--repaired under warranty.
Be sure to report in the NHTSA website.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Thanks Post them all
I have reached out to the media
If David Blair at the CBC does nothing...what more can I say

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
Hey guys so it happened to me! Here’s the info

Build Date: March 2010
Make/Model: Golf TDI 4D
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 122,860
Problem: HPFP failed, metal shavings all over including filter
Dealer: VW Riverside and Ontario

6/12/15: driving with my 12 y/o brother to Stater Bros, speeds about 40 mph, moderate traffic, glow plug light comes on, loss of power, limp mode, and then car completely shut down. No control of the car whatsoever, hazards on immediately, emergency breaking the whole time. Hook up vagcom: HPFP and low pressure rail sensor. Get it towed home, contact vwoa, they deny case due to not having fuel guard installed. Called them again 3 times, asked to speak to a manager, get denied again! I filed complaints through BBB and NHTSA, but no luck. After 4 months of the TDI sitting in my garage and doing research, decided to buy new HPFP pump, injectors x4, and filter. (HPFP and injectors have 1 year warranty through VW).

10/2015: Tech does an amazing job on cleaning the whole fuel system including the fuel tank. Now, manager at VW tells me to come back to do the fuel guard recall asap. Also, states that HPFP is unlikely to fail again and that I might just see a drop of mpgs. That being said, God forbid a HPFP failure happens again; would VW cover costs since they fixed it even though I bought the parts and paid for labor? I am considering of buying microns kit, I love this car but just worrying too much about it! I find it funny and sad that VWoA blames it on the contamination of the diesel. I always pump at Chevron. I’m an EMT and the company I work for always pump diesel on the ambulances from Chevron and never had a problem. I’m thinking of trading it in for a civic or lancer, I like the golf but VW really has let me down. Volkswagen of Ontario by far the best customer service, but not vwoa!

Question: is it possible that the HPFP can fail again as of today’s date? Wouldn’t they make some changes to the pump? Read on the forums that just some numbers on the model number change…

Thanks guys, these forums do help a lot!!

Where did you buy the parts? Did VW agreed to install -and more important cover under warranty - parts not provided by them?
I am asking because my indy shop does not install parts not provided by them because of possible liability. And even if they did, i would not expect them to cover any warranty defect on them

unsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
Well, it took me almost 7 years but I'm part of the club!!!! WHHHOOOOO!!!!

Year: 2009
Build Date: need to check, 11/08 I believe
Make/Model: VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Mileage: 71,030
Additives: no
Dealer: Charles Maund (Austin)

This is now my wife's car. I have her take a photo of every fuel receipt for just this occasion. She fueled up at Chevron a few days ago. She headed off to work yesterday morning, was still in the neighborhood when her glow plug light started flashing and she got that workshop fault message and went into limp mode. She turned it around and parked it. I took it in to the dealership this morning and no lights came on but it had very little power. Luckily it's a .5 mile drive. Left it there and they called back to tell me they sent the fuel sample off since they said the fuel pump was destroyed. That's all I know for now.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Several people on here have reported being in limp mode and still being able to drive it.

Tdi93

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D 6M
Ok guys I'm back.

Driving home, 325 miles after new HPFP and injectors installed, glow plug light starts to beep taking off in first gear, car goes into limp mode. Pull over safely, turn off the car and starts back up. Check to see if there was any shavings on the pump and it clears. Few hours later, I take the car up and down the block and no light or anything, like it never happened. I am waiting on my friend's vagcom, I am so concern now!

Going to be trading it in for a golf base model (no tdi) or maybe a civic this weekend. Any bad stuff regarding the mk6 golf base model? I will be doing research on it soon.

Thanks lads.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Ok guys I'm back.
Driving home, 325 miles after new HPFP and injectors installed, glow plug light starts to beep taking off in first gear, car goes into limp mode. Pull over safely, turn off the car and starts back up. Check to see if there was any shavings on the pump and it clears. Few hours later, I take the car up and down the block and no light or anything, like it never happened. I am waiting on my friend's vagcom, I am so concern now!
Going to be trading it in for a golf base model (no tdi) or maybe a civic this weekend. Any bad stuff regarding the mk6 golf base model? I will be doing research on it soon.
Thanks lads.
Are you trading for new or used? I have a base Golf now, but a Mk VII with TSI and so far so good.

Not so fond of the current generation Civic. But the upcoming new generation looks very impressive, and there will be a hatchback this time. I'd be inclined to wait for that unless you were thinking used.

For the Mk VI Golf non-TDI (2.5L 5-cyl), Consumer Reports rates it highly. They seem to be fairly trouble-free cars, but beware the fuel consumption. I heard it's livable if you keep it no higher than 60 mph but rises quickly after that.

Mk VII TSI is a heck of a good deal, lots of kit for the money, especially the 2016 with the new Mib II infotainment system. Dealers may be open to dealing since they've lost 20+% of their sales with the TDI debacle... ;)

rncatt1211

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan
Hi there! New to the forum, came across this when searching for solutions to my problem. Here's my info:

Build Date: Unsure - car in shop - will update
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Sedan
Tranny: DSG Automatic
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 56,5XX
Diesel Fuel Source: Sunoco or Mobil/Exxon
Additives: Nope
Problem: Put fuel in the car Friday (10/9) from Sunoco (filled from a little less than a quarter of a tank). Car was driven about 40-50 miles that day, no issues. Drove car about another 60ish miles on Saturday 10/10. Had the car off for a little bit. Drove car out of town and as I was merging onto the highway, the Glow plug light started flashing, check engine light stayed solid, and I could only go 25 mph. Pulled over immediately, checked the owners manual which said bring it to a VW dealer right away. Limped it to the next exit and took back roads about 10 miles to the dealer. Waited over 3 hours. They came out and said the HPFP basically disintegrated and that they'd have to replace the entire fuel system (both pumps, injectors, fuel rail, filter, and all the lines all the way back to the gas tank) along with draining and cleaning out my gas tank. They told me it would be covered by warranty and sent me on my way with a loaner.
Dealer: Stokes VW in North Charleston SC
Status: Pending. When they originally diagnosed it, they said it would be completely covered by VW warranty. Called them yesterday (10/14) asking for an update and they said they said they just sent a fuel sample off to VW and are awaiting those results before they do can do any work.

If I'm 100% positive I put diesel in it (and trust me, I am), is there any way that this won't be covered by VW? What would the conditions be? And at that point what would my options be?

UPDATE: 10/16 - Stokes VW still waiting on Fuel sample results from VW. They were hoping for results today - now hoping for results by Monday. GREAT NEWS THOUGH:I stopped into the Sunoco where I fueled up on Friday - I asked them if they could look up my receipt from my credit card number and 2 minutes later I had a receipt in my hand for my purchase of 12.391 gallons of DIESEL fuel. This is a relief!! Once the dealer started asking if I'm sure I put diesel in, I naturally started to doubt myself. I had just worked a 12 hour night shift. Holy cow maybe I did put regular in. BUT NOPE! It's all diesel in there baby! Now crossing fingers that it wasn't contaminated diesel and we'll be good to go!!!

UPDATE#2 Called the dealer on Monday 10/19 - still no word about the fuel sample results. Took it upon myself to call VWofA. They said typical turn around time on fuel sample is 3-5 business days - so dealer sent sample in on Wednesday 10/14 - VW likely received it on Thursday 10/15. That would make today (10/21) business day number 5. Still waiting - hoping to hear back tomorrow (thursday 10/22.) Dealer says once they get the fuel sample results, repairs will take 2-3 working days - Still anxiously awaiting the fuel sample results - still nervous it won't be covered by warranty.

Update #3 Irritated doesn't even begin to describe it. Apparently the dealer had to send off a second fuel sample but couldn't tell me why. I called VWofA who elevated my case to some kind of corporate regional office. They called me yesterday and said that the original fuel sample that the dealer sent wasn't in the proper "sample kit" and that's why they had to send off a second one. The second one should take 3-5 business days and tomorrow 10/28 is business day number 5. The regional office is supposed to call me back tomorrow with any info they have ... I want to scream I'm so frustrated

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... They came out and said the HPFP basically disintegrated and that they'd have to replace the entire fuel system (both pumps, injectors, fuel rail, filter, and all the lines all the way back to the gas tank) along with draining and cleaning out my gas tank. They told me it would be covered by warranty and sent me on my way with a loaner.
Dealer: Stokes VW in North Charleston SC
Status: Pending. When they originally diagnosed it, they said it would be completely covered by VW warranty. Called them yesterday (10/14) asking for an update and they said they said they just sent a fuel sample off to VW and are awaiting those results before they do can do any work.

If I'm 100% positive I put diesel in it (and trust me, I am), is there any way that this won't be covered by VW? What would the conditions be? And at that point what would my options be?
SOP for VWoA is now to require that a fuel sample be tested. VWoA won't assume anything, although I've yet to read here about anyone whose sample came back positive for contaminants. You should be okay.

Be careful referring to your "gas tank." It's tough to say "diesel tank", but sadly, it does make a difference in perception.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If VW comes back with a bad fuel sample, then you will be responsible for the complete repair. You can try to push the dealer and VW but from previous posts, you will have limited success.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Or just say fuel tank.... :)
that was my basic solution, haha... that way I have the same word for my gassers...

It pissed my wife off every time I said "step on the diesel pedal babe!," lol (she won't let me say "fuel pedal" either... and it's mostly air, but she's never liked "air pedal"... hard to please...:D I guess just "step on it" ).

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
My buddy's '12 Golf had a failure 2 weeks ago, and he just got it back yesterday:

Year: 2012
Make/Model: VW Golf TDI
Mileage: ~51k miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Primarily BP
Problem: Initially had a no-start condition one morning, fired up on second try. Drove fine that day, approx 50 miles. Next morning no start, towed to dealer. Dealer diagnosis found various fuel rail pressure faults. Ordered fuel sample kit, sent fuel sample to VW and about a week later work was approved. Total time car was at dealer was about 2 weeks.
Dealer: Douglas VW - Summit, NJ

Anyone know if the remainder of the 120k HPFP warranty applies to the replacement? Or is it just 1 year/12k ?

Last edited:

rncatt1211

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan
SOP for VWoA is now to require that a fuel sample be tested. VWoA won't assume anything, although I've yet to read here about anyone whose sample came back positive for contaminants. You should be okay.

Be careful referring to your "gas tank." It's tough to say "diesel tank", but sadly, it does make a difference in perception.

Haha it's still tough for me to say that I put diesel or fuel in my car rather than gas. I know in my head when I say gas that I mean diesel, but obviously the dealer and VW will assume the opposite!

And thanks for the info. Fingers crossed this gets fixed under warranty - especially since I may have already made a deal to trade this baby in ... and not for another VW - MEHHHHH!

rncatt1211

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan
If VW comes back with a bad fuel sample, then you will be responsible for the complete repair. You can try to push the dealer and VW but from previous posts, you will have limited success.
Yikes! Hoping this isn't the case ... I've never had an issue with Sunoco diesel before - and I know every fuel station and every pump is always different - but hoping this was just a freak accident with my HPFP and that it ends up being all good in the hood.