Off to the dealer grinding noise, hesitation, bucking

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
My wife noticed hesitation and bucking, so I took a look. Sure enough, there's a grinding noise coming from underneath - you actually cannot hear it when inside the car, a testament to the sound deadening. No warning lights, nothing. Car hesitates when shifting, bucks. Thought it was the differential just from where the noise was coming from, but symptoms make me think it's the tranny. When you shift into reverse, the noise goes away...and then come back. Same with neutral to drive.

'09 Treg Tdi with 14k on it (bought in October from 3193). Off to New Milford VW.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Went to the dealership today to check on my Treg. Bad news- it needs a new tranny. Worse news - there are non in the US, so it needs to be shipped from Germany.

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
That sucks. It reminds me of when I had to wait a month for an EGR valve for my PD Jetta. At least you are getting a new transmission out of it, and not a re-manufactured one.

jodyneff

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2010 Touareg TDI
Broken hood latch mechanism, 2010 TDI

I just bought a brand new 2010 Touareg TDI. I traded in my 2005 Touareg V8, which I loved (but I did not love the gas mileage). When I got home from the dealership, the hood would not open. The service people had supposedly checked everything before I left the lot. I live 100 miles from the dealership. They came to get it, and they've had it a week. Seems they have never seen this problem before. The entire hood latch mechanism is shot, and brand new! They told me it would take 10 hours of labor to fix it. Has anyone else had such a problem? It had 600 miles on it when I bought it (one of the employees at the dealership had taken it home for a week). Are these guys taking me for a ride?

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Did the dealership put you in a loaner for the mean time?
No, but they offered a rental. I had to argue to get an suv though. They tried to give me a cobalt. I let them know I didn't pay $50k to drive a chevy cobalt.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
I just bought a brand new 2010 Touareg TDI. I traded in my 2005 Touareg V8, which I loved (but I did not love the gas mileage). When I got home from the dealership, the hood would not open. The service people had supposedly checked everything before I left the lot. I live 100 miles from the dealership. They came to get it, and they've had it a week. Seems they have never seen this problem before. The entire hood latch mechanism is shot, and brand new! They told me it would take 10 hours of labor to fix it. Has anyone else had such a problem? It had 600 miles on it when I bought it (one of the employees at the dealership had taken it home for a week). Are these guys taking me for a ride?
That same guy probably needed it for another week ;)

I had the same problem with another car but not my treg

devilyellow

TDI
MkVI JSW, Touareg TDI V6
No, but they offered a rental. I had to argue to get an suv though. They tried to give me a cobalt. I let them know I didn't pay $50k to drive a chevy cobalt.
You should have seen the cobalt I got once when I took my few month old 2009 Corvette Z06 into the dealership. Stripper model with roll down windows and a seat that would not recline. I was furious - but it was only for a day so I could get to work and back. And thats all that the dealership had.

As long as they gave you something. When I "switched" to VW I was really thinking to go the Audi route so you'd get nice loaner cars - but the price didn't justify it. If the Q7 wasnt so ugly and we got one of those instead -- just for the service department differences, we could just save a bunch of money and pay for our own loaner. If that makes any sense.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Hey at least when I had cardo's Oilhammer work on my Passat, he got me a Mazda 6 sedan. Not the choicest car, but not a low level cobolt. Of course I paid for it, but man when you spend 50k on a machine, you should be treated a touch better than that. This guy buying a treg should have been treated a lot better. But this situation makes you wonder if they did the pre-delivery inspection...

Last edited:

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
So shes back. They estimated the tranny cost at $9-10k plus labor, rental car. I'm guessing this job cost $12k+.

Okay,now if everyone could do me a favor and look at their shifter. Does it say V6? Mine does now and I think I would have noticed that before.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Yes it says V6. They all say what ever motor was under the hood on the shifter from the day they were brought to market.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
So...she's back in the shop again. Failed to start Saturday afternoon - making a clicking noise, but not like battery. Sound was coming from underneath the car, so I crawled under and found...fresh oil on the skid plate. Off to the dealer on a tow truck. Got a call Monday that the engine and tranny must be pulled AGAIN since there is a leak coming from the valve cover - they seem to think it's the cam bridge. They feel the damage was caused by the last dealer as a result of putting too much stress on the motor when they hoisted. Told them not to order any parts, not to touch the car. Waiting to hear back from VW customer service - they said by end of business Thursday. I've owned 8 VW's, including three brand new ones, so I am hoping VW will work with me on a resolution as I do not want to own a $50k car with 19k miles that's had the engine and tranny pulled twice.

Last edited:

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Sorry to hear that bro. These machines are so well put together, yet there's apparently no shortage of dealers incapable of making proper repairs. :(
I know, very frustrating. Even more so with the callback from VW customer care yesterday.

angrytom

TDI
'02 jetta ALH
Having worked for VW/Audi for 3 years I can say from experience that they are not put together all that well. I am suprised that there was a transmission issue with yours, the only time I have ever had to pull a trans out of a Touareg was to replace timing chains.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Supposed to be ready by beginning of next week. VW of Old Saybrook has been great but still waiting on VW corporate on next steps.