% of turned-in 2.0 Liter TDI

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Is there a website for updated (real time?) statistics on % of total eligible 2 liter TDI vehicles that were actually turned-in?
I wonder if there'll be a stampede at the end of December '18. What will VW do if, say, it's September '18 and returns did not reach the 85% level as stipulated in the settlement before a per car penalty is imposed on VW.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There isn't any source for real-time numbers, but I saw a headline the other day saying they'd already bought back over 50% of the eligible vehicles. I don't think they'll have trouble meeting the 85% target.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
If this is the case, VW may not even try to pretend that they're working on a fix for Gen 1 TDI! If they make the 85%, the decision for the owner will be either take the buyout deal or go home with no compensation at all. If they make the 85%, they'll surely make the 95% or more.

Last edited:

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
The most recent independent claims supervisor report is here: http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/2967/2979-Independent-Claims-Supervisor-February-20.pdf

Though the next report won't be available until the end of May, extrapolating the February buyback rate of 15,000 vehicles per week (which the report says is "expected to continue [at] this pace for the foreseeable future") from the 137,985 vehicles reported as bought back as of February 18, the total is easily over 250,000, or more than 50% of the approximately 475,000 eligible 2.0L TDIs. I expect the next report to begin to show a drop-off from the 15,000/week pace.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
If this is the case, VW may not even try to pretend that they're working on a fix for Gen 1 TDI! If they make the 85%, the decision for the owner will be either take the buyout deal or go home with no compensation at all. If they make the 85%, they'll surely make the 95% or more.
Attached is the latest (as of 4/17/17) on the buyback take. Fully 97.5% opted for the buyback over the fix! Looks like about 50% already turned-in their cars.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-diesel-owners-have-chosen-buyback-not-repair

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Was the number of units originally sold about 490,000? Here 475,000 is cited, so might that indicate about 15,000 of the '09-'15 TDI have been already been totaled-out or otherwise dismantled through natural automobile death causes?

Where do these count in the 85% goal- would 85% of the 490k be needed or would 15% of THAT number be tolerated?

(Just pontificating some numbers....)

If 475k, VW only needs 403,750 cars back

vs needing another 12,750 cars back if based on 490k.

On another note....I would LOVE to see any/all of these numbers broken down by model!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Implementing a "fix" will allow VW to recover some of the cost by reselling the previously-bought-back cars that are in good condition.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
Near my daughters school there is a towing company. flatbed Trucks full of crushed first gen cars are showing up there very regularly...all TDI cars on the trailers.

Yesterday saw a Beetle Convertible and a TDI Cup Jetta in crushed state...I do not see them fixing gen one cars.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No kidding. That's why my guess is that even if and when a fix is approved, perhaps a third of the cars would be worth fixing. It still blows my mind that they haven't been culling them out before storing them. Not my problem...

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Crushing makes little sense... :confused:

Disable the engine (like they did with cash-for-clunkers) and then keep the rest of the car intact for salvage yard parts. Besides the drivetrain, exhaust, and subframe there are a lot of parts that interchange with Mk5 gassers.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Crushing makes little sense... :confused:

Disable the engine (like they did with cash-for-clunkers) and then keep the rest of the car intact for salvage yard parts. Besides the drivetrain, exhaust, and subframe there are a lot of parts that interchange with Mk5 gassers.
Yeah, you can do that, but you quickly flood the market for parts and the value becomes negligible. At this point we don't have a feel for which MY are getting crushed either.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You don't need 400,000 complete spare cars for the million-or-so (including gassers) remaining on the road!

And any part taken off those spare cars is a part that doesn't get ordered as a new replacement from VW. And the salvage yards would be profiting from selling those spare parts ... not VW.

Business decision. If there's no fix ... "See that parking lot over there? Squish-'em-alll."

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
You don't need 400,000 complete spare cars for the million-or-so (including gassers) remaining on the road!

And any part taken off those spare cars is a part that doesn't get ordered as a new replacement from VW. And the salvage yards would be profiting from selling those spare parts ... not VW.

Business decision. If there's no fix ... "See that parking lot over there? Squish-'em-alll."
Would also solve lots of logistical problems for VW. They are in the business of selling and building new cars, not reconditioning five year old cars with 80,000 miles on them. :)

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, you can do that, but you quickly flood the market for parts and the value becomes negligible. At this point we don't have a feel for which MY are getting crushed either.
My guess is 2015 cars and some 2012-2014 Passats would be it. I seriously doubt they resell a single first gen car, given HPFP issues, inter-cooler icing, and all of the other problems these cars had from the factory.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
At some point the value of the scrap material becomes higher than the value of the car to a dismantler, especially if the market is flooded and the consumer demand for parts is tempered.