OEM transmission oil alternatives for 02Q manual transmission

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Im currently looking for some alternatives to expensive OEM G052527A2 oil for MK7 tdi 02Q transmission. Ive heard good things about Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W as well as Motul Gear 300 75W 90 that costs about a third from OEM. What do you guys think? I have a little "crunch" going from 1st to 2nd gear sometimes, was wondering if changing fluid would help

Last edited:

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT
Im currently looking for some alternatives to expensive OEM G052527A2 oil for MK7 tdi 02Q transmission. Ive heard good things about Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W as well as Motul Gear 300 75W 90 that costs about a third from OEM. What do you guys think? I have a little "crunch" going from 1st to 2nd gear sometimes, was wondering if changing fluid would help
While looking at fluids for my upcoming clutch job I found this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-manual-trans-fluid-g052171a2

Might not help with your crunch but it's the route I'm going for OEM alternative. GL-4, well reviewed, and $9.99 a liter.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
This is listed under the Description tab for the fluid I linked:

OE Numbers
G052171A2, G070726A2, 0019892603, G060726A2, G052512A2, G052527A2
FCP lists every part number in there for a lot of parts and I know those two are not the same oils

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I find some of those prices to be quite ridiculous, what's that like a 90% margin?

I also question how different is a 6MT versus a 5MT and why one can't use a fluid for 5MT in a 6MT, yet now VW has the same 0w30 engine oil for many many engines, even backwards compatible?!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I also question how different is a 6MT versus a 5MT and why one can't use a fluid for 5MT in a 6MT,
Way too many variables. Brass vrs steel syncros can be one of the many things damaged by inter changing GL-4 and GL-5 for example. The bazillion dollars into the engineering R&D usually has more value the any of the "best" aftermarket oil "upgrades". More damage has been done by armchair engineers than is imaginable. Certain things are worth just paying out a few more $ to VW for.

How many miles and what conditions has this transmission had? A "crunch" (if an accurate description) doesn't sound like a lubricity issue anyway. Could you mean 1st to 2nd gear "grind"? as in loose/worn syncro"s? That cound be dirty/worn out, or wrong fluid as a root cause.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Way too many variables. Brass vrs steel syncros can be one of the many things damaged by inter changing GL-4 and GL-5 for example. The bazillion dollars into the engineering R&D usually has more value the any of the "best" aftermarket oil "upgrades". More damage has been done by armchair engineers than is imaginable. Certain things are worth just paying out a few more $ to VW for.

How many miles and what conditions has this transmission had? A "crunch" (if an accurate description) doesn't sound like a lubricity issue anyway. Could you mean 1st to 2nd gear "grind"? as in loose/worn syncro"s? That cound be dirty/worn out, or wrong fluid as a root cause.
there is no grind, just feels crunchy/ notchy going from 1st to 2nd , the car has 66K mi on it i got it from auction with that mileage, but I have another one 2015 GSW that I got brand new from the dealer and believe it or not I have similar crunch since new between 1st and 2nd. My dads transmission on the other hand is silky smooth, and we bought these cars at the same time.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
there is no grind, just feels crunchy/ notchy going from 1st to 2nd , the car has 66K mi on it i got it from auction with that mileage, but I have another one 2015 GSW that I got brand new from the dealer and believe it or not I have similar crunch since new between 1st and 2nd. My dads transmission on the other hand is silky smooth, and we bought these cars at the same time.
Some who have eliminated the clutch delay valve either by removal or replacement with the ECS Tuning billet bleeding block report that the intermittent crunchy/notchy feel goes away after valve removal/replacement.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW