OEM style AUX USB switches in console

would anyone like info on the other cables used on DNN992 with JSW?

• I drive a Prius, I dont care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I am about finished sourcing and install of the items needed to add aux input & usb plug ins using the factory console blank switch knock outs.

NOTE: I ran 2 usb, 1 TRRS aux. (a/v in), 1 TS aux. (2nd microphone)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have continuity checked for correct cable/plug wire positions on most but I have not finished final install. Constructive criticism is appreciated I will slowly post completed pictures as I have time.

Its very vital to know the factory VW RNS 315/510 radios uses a 3.5mm plug in with only 3 connections or technically known as TRS (tip/ring/section) vrs. aftermarket audio/VIDIO (any A/V unit) requiring an additional connection. The a/v style is a 3.5mm, 4 connection TRRS (tip/ring/ring/section). see below pics

NOTE: I found when buying cables
1) don't expect the seller to understand the "TS, TRS, TRRS" difference and especially the difference in, say TRRS that is a "audio or stereo extension" vrs. a TRRS "a/v extension". The wire placement IS different. Believe me I've been buying, testing and learning the language for months
2) China cables are crap, take months to get and are last resort. Ive found US cables good quality and usually arrive in a week. They do cost 3x's the $ though

3.5mm TRS, 3 connection or 3 pole... "audio/stereo" use
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.5mm TRRS 4 connection or 4 pole... A/V use

This VW specific cable end fits RNS 315/510

Both usb and aux. require modifying for aftermarket.

The usb was a simple cable conversion, (below pic) plug n play.

As for the aux., it requires simple housing disassembly. The back cover splits/ pops off, you then pull/slide the inner (TRS with factory cable) jack guts out in one piece. I took my dremel tool to hollow out the housing. From there I took the TRRS male to TRRS female (a/v) extension and fit it to the existing hole, hot glued and snapped cover back on. Filling the rest with hot glue. Incredibly solid.

Gutted/hollowed housing

NOTE: I trimmed apx. 1/8" of cable housing which perfectly fit existing hole size & depth

positioned and filled with hot glue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USB was just plug in appropriate cable. (VW or aftermarket).

PARTS LIST:
Aux switch $6.21

TRRS to 3 way TRRS extension to convert for 4 connection a/v $6.95

usb switch with out OE cable $5. TRRS male to TRRS female cables $1.78

Last edited:

Firedad415

TDI
2012 Sportwagen (bought back) Took delivery of a 2014 Sportwagen 8-26-19
Where did you get the power for your USB? I am running a stock radio, non nav. I just got the car this week and need a USB port or two for power only. I will use Bluetooth primarily for music, phone to radio.
2014 JSW, TDI SE.
Edit: I just watched a few vids. It appears I will need to get the set up you have for the USB, strip back the wire on the other end and find and tap into a 5v power source, add a fuse, and ground it. Looks simple enough.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Where did you get the power for your USB? I am running a stock radio, non nav. I just got the car this week and need a USB port or two for power only. I will use Bluetooth primarily for music, phone to radio.
2014 JSW, TDI SE.
Edit: I just watched a few vids. It appears I will need to get the set up you have for the USB, strip back the wire on the other end and find and tap into a 5v power source, add a fuse, and ground it. Looks simple enough.
I will be using a kenwood with 2 usb's. The adapter will plug straight into the units usb. However the stock 510 and 315 suposedly have the spot these plug into? You can also get an adapter that has a usb end. It plugs in inside the rear center console arm rest box.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I skipped the 2nd microphone and saved the space for a homelink add in I've seen elsewhere
1 A/V, 1 USB, 1 fast charge USB

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Cool, I am about to do a similar thing. I wish they sold another usb socket besides the right hand one. You'd think someone would offer ones that fit the center holes properly.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool, I am about to do a similar thing. I wish they sold another usb socket besides the right hand one. You'd think someone would offer ones that fit the center holes properly.
Right. The fit itself isnt the greatest. pulling the usb plug can pull the whole thing up if your not careful. Still looks and works great