OEM Steel Oil Pan cover for 2004 PD

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
This is the OEM steel oil pan cover that is designed for the 2.0 Jettas.

The electronic catalog says 98-04 New Beetle, 99-04 Jetta Mexico. But my car is the 04 Jetta Wagon. I'll assume it'll fit the older Jetta Wagons too.

Don't know about the Golfs but I don't see why it would be any different for the Golfs.

I just put one on our 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI-PD. I didn't think it'd fit, because others have talked about modifications, but ours fit like a glove!

This thing is awesome.

View from the rear of the oil pan You can see that you don't have to remove the cover to drain the oil Also, for those of you with oil level sensors, there's a hole for that as well.

Front oil pan view Here's the other view from the front of the car. The front and rear have theaded holes in the engine block that are on a flange/lip.

Side oil pan view there's a rubber gasket that comes with the pan cover. It sits off the oil pan by at least 1/2-inch. So there is an air gap.

Detail of the spacer You need to use (2)bushings or spacers along with the 10mm bolts.

Extra hole 1 There are two extra holes on either side that I ended up putting some exta bolts through

Extra hole 2 I used some washers on top as these holes are a bit larger than the threaded ones. You'll need to buy some 10mm washers. I used "tension" washers that automatically lock themselves as your tighten them down.

This thing is cheap too! It also WON'T lower your car and the plastic plate fits fine over top of it.

L

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
OEM Steel Oil Pan protection cover

Wow! Does this thing just bolt right up to existing holes or what?

Ok, I don't know much about the PD's so I'll cut right to the chase. Will this thing fit on a non-PD, 2001 Golf TDI? If so, what are the part numbers and such?

Good find!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

They will fit all of the A4 4 cylinder cars, no matter which 4 cylinder. And while it is certainly better than nothing, the big skidplate will protect better. I've already had to surgically remove one of these little plates after it was smashed into the aluminum oil pan. In that case it also cracked the boss on the rear of the block, so reinstallarion of a new one was impossible. The block, while damaged, was still servicable.

These are similar in function to the automatic transmission protection plate that Volkswagen has used since the A2 cars. Seems Volkswagen should install these as standard on all the engines, not just the 2.0L.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Re: OEM Steel Oil Pan protection cover

Lito,

Is anything like this available for the B5 Passat?

I wouldn't mind getting one for Dollie's Bug - that thing has less ground clearance than my Jetta had.

decan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls dk.blue

Will it fit the Jetta 2000 TDI? If so, what is the 'cheap'
cost of it? Not being mechanically inclined 'on top of it' means the plastic plate covers
the steel plate on the outside of it?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Oilhammer,
They will fit all of the A4 4 cylinder cars, no matter which 4 cylinder. And while it is certainly better than nothing, the big skidplate will protect better. I've already had to surgically remove one of these little plates after it was smashed into the aluminum oil pan. In that case it also cracked the boss on the rear of the block, so reinstallarion of a new one was impossible. The block, while damaged, was still servicable.
Just like you said, imagine the damage without one! I love the OEM steel skid plate, got one on my 2000 TDI. But this is a GREAT alternative.

Rich, I'm not sure about the B5's. I'm sure it would fit the NB.

K5ing, yes the bolt holes just line up. In fact, the two holes in the block are already threaded. The "extra holes" are not.

decan, I will post part numbers but the cover is like $54.00 and the bolts and bushing spacers are not that much.

L

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k

Do you have a part #?

and

How much $?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Cover: 06a 103 660AB = $53.56 (1)
Bushing:06A 103 640J = $0.14 (2)
Screw/bolt:N 014 723 6 = $1.80 (4)
Washer: N 011 560 8 = $0.25 (2)

Total $61.54 Excellent upgrade

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav

Cover: 06a 103 660AB = $53.56 (1)
Bushing:06A 103 640J = $0.14 (2)
Screw/bolt:N 014 723 6 = $1.80 (4)
Washer: N 011 560 8 = $0.25 (2)

Total $61.54 Excellent upgrade
from http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=634646&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

grommet (2) 06A 103 638 C
plastic rivet (2) 06A 103 952
bolt (1) N011 560 8
bolt (1) N014 720 3
grommet (1) 028 103 638 C
sleeve (1) 038 103 825
pan guard (1) 06A 1 3 660 AB

I have a 2.o and needed the plastic rivets and grommets.

The rivets stop the vibrations too.

This oil pan gard saved my A$$ this winter. We have had alot of snow and it's nice to know that you have protection when going threw snow ruts and hitting chunks of ice.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

hmmm interesting i think i may just opt for this i wrecked the plastic one and lack the funds to get an aluminum one, sounds like a better plan than no skid plate

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Dennis,

I don't see why it wouldn't fit with the skid plate but don't know for sure.

Can someone post why you need the plastic pieces and grommets? Where do they go?

L

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M

the plastic pieces go in the non threaded holes in the block I believe.

they expand like drywall anchors.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The rivets stop the vibrations too.
I just used a washer, bolt and nut. No vibration. But I would like to see a rivet.

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI

I love the OEM steel skid plate, got one on my 2000 TDI. But this is a GREAT alternative.

Is there an OEM available steel skid plate? I thought only Dieselgeek had the steel skid plate. If they are available from a dealer, do they exist for 04PD wagon? Or would this steel oil pan cover do the trick?

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI

I do sell the O.E. Skid plates and they do fit all Jettas from mid-'99 through 2005 including your PD Jetta wagon.

According to two VW Dealer techs that I have met, they have seen a few oil pans damaged to the point of leakage even with the small steel oil pan cover installed. Also, the oil pan cover does not protect the A/C compressor which hangs right in front of the oil pan.

The transmission and subframe are vulnerable as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Yeah, I have seen the same. It'll help, but the full skidplate is really a better way to go, even if pricier. It'll protect the whole underside in the front, and is attached to the unibody rails and subframe, not the engine itself.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Everything is available from the dealer, all the parts are OEM. No company makes or manufactures anything OEM(in the US). The only aftermarket skid plate is the Aluminum plate made by Evolution Auto

http://chady.4t.com/Aluminum%20Skid%20Plate%20Installation%20Instructions2.htm

I've got both the OEM steel skid plate and this OEM oil pan protector. Everyone's gonna have an opinion, go with what you want. Ultimately, it's your money and your decision.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS

Does this fit with the belly pan too? Or does the belly pan have to stay off if you install this skid plate? I don't have much road debris up here, but have winced a few times over snow chunks this winter...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I think I wrote that in my initial post but in case you missed it, yes, the Plastic belly pan fits with this cover installed.

Very easy to install. It takes more time to remove the plastic belly pan.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver

Looks like another mod that I'm gonna' have to have.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS

Tongsli--you did put that in; I missed it. My bad. Thanks for the info though--I think this is a mod that I'll do this summer.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Supton,

If you haven't taken off your belly pan, There are two plastic rivets that you need to remove carefully. You first pry the center insert and cap out, then you pull from the bottom of the rivet.

The center part of the rivet expands the bottom part like a molly anchor in dry wall. Know what I mean? Once the rivets are out, you can remove the front plastic piece.

L

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004

At first glance it appears a person could bolt a bypass oil filter mount to the back side of this cover. Giving the unit a second reason to exist.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

Everything is available from the dealer, all the parts are OEM. No company makes or manufactures anything OEM(in the US). The only aftermarket skid plate is the Aluminum plate made by Evolution Auto

http://chady.4t.com/Aluminum%20Skid%20Plate%20Installation%20Instructions2.htm

I've got both the OEM steel skid plate and this OEM oil pan protector. Everyone's gonna have an opinion, go with what you want. Ultimately, it's your money and your decision.
There is another aluminum skidplate. BFTD skid plate for the A3 and A4 chassis. I don't know anyone that has it though

Kennedy

Veteran Member

I gotta tell ya, this is a nice economical solution that provide protection where you need it.

I've never read a single horror story on the Votex about subframe, transmission, or AC compressor damage, it seems the only seriously vulnerable component to the underbelly is the oilpan. Vortex is littered with stories of oilpan breaks, mainly due to lowered suspensions and trash in the roads.

I prefer the skidplate, but I drive 80 miles a day (usually too fast) on the worst stretch of interstate in the United States... I-95. I prefer the piece fo mind and frame stiffening it provides. I also have $300+ to throw around on silly car upgrades.

If I wasn't as blessed financially, and didn't have the commute I have, the oil protector would be one my first additions. This is a great addon for you lease/ham-fisted folks who don't do your own mods. Buy the parts and have the dealer install at your next oil change. It's cheap insurance.

I've changed an oilpan on a TDI before. Took 2 days to get the oil out of my hair. I'll pay $60 right now to warrant not having to do it again.

I think it's great that you can get all the parts for either the skidplate or the pan protector at you local dealer or from your favorite online parts dealer.

Again, Tongsli, nice find...

DVDVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Honda Element Etheral Blue Pearl, Y package, AWD, AND NEED A TDI ENGINE SO BAD

Hi guys. I'm really intersted to do this upgrade. So I called the stealership yesterday, and they told me that this cover only fit Jetta and New Beetle, and guess what, I have a Golf

Does anybody know if the cover fit a Golf with minor modification?

FYI, the asked 91.12$ CDN for the cover
With the exchage rate, Impex are at 70$ CDN.

If it fits a Golf, I thing Jerry will have a call

EDIT :

Ok, there is 3 different covers listed on Impex :

#06A103660A at 54.97$
#06A103660AB at 53.56$
#06A103660AD at 53.56$

Will one fit my Golf???

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)

Hi guys. I'm really intersted to do this upgrade. So I called the stealership yesterday, and they told me that this cover only fit Jetta and New Beetle, and guess what, I have a Golf

Does anybody know if the cover fit a Golf with minor modification?

FYI, the asked 91.12$ CDN for the cover
With the exchage rate, Impex are at 70$ CDN.

If it fits a Golf, I thing Jerry will have a call

EDIT :

Ok, there is 3 different covers listed on Impex :

#06A103660A at 54.97$
#06A103660AB at 53.56$
#06A103660AD at 53.56$

Will one fit my Golf???
I gotta think S&H $$ from Impex to you (CDN) will make up the difference in $$ or perhaps make it work out to cost more than dealer, especially given that there's some weight to this thing.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver

There is a "hybrid" oil pan listed on ebay. "http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7952607937&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT" I bid on it thinking that it was the steel plate that when over the aluminum oil pan, but its actually an oil pan that has a steel bottom bolted to an aluminum upper section. It says that it fits the Golf also and that it is a replacement for VW part 038-103-601-NA, it comes with a new iol pickup tube (must be a bit deeper) and a tube of gasket sealant. Right now the cost is pretty reasonable, the auction will end Saturday afternoon.