OEM rack removal

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Hey all I have the VW oem silver rack on my car. I am looking to remove the rack because most of my attachments do not fit this thing. Plus I have another yak rack that does fit everything. Anyways I bought this car used and the key for the rack was not with it. Anyone know how to get a key or remove it without one? Thanks:)

BritD059

TDI
2005 Golf GLS
if not find a local locksmith :)
ive had yakima racks nearly my whole life and i can complain! good choice!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
There should be number on rack lock , if you give that number to local dealer they should order keys that will match that lock.
Remember this , you need to speak with some one very smart over there at dealer , because most of them have no idea about this stuff.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Thanks a lot for the replies lots of good info. I will try the flathead method first ha. I will start the process on monday, It would be good to get keys as I plan on selling the racks when I get them off. I have no VW dealer around me but I will be in SLC this week and will see if they can help.
Thanks again for all the info!!!:)

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Call Thule, and you can order the Key from the number on the barrel its like 5$ or smth like that, that way you will have a new Key and keep the roof rack intact

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Ok, so it turns out it is pretty easy to get a new key. I went to thule.com then clicked on product support. They have a keys and lock cylinders menu, scroll down to replacement key and your done. The keys are $2.75 each and about 5 bucks shipping. Which sucks the could put it in a small letter and be good. Oh well hope this helps.