OEM Lumbar Support

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
VF,

Very nice. It looks like the switch has three positions? Off High and low? Is this correct?

You should create a post on adding aftermarket heated seats. Are the elements placed on the cushions??

Lito

[ April 10, 2002, 21:03: Message edited by: tongsli ]

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Yes, three positions. They were pretty toasty this morning, but not instantaneous, which I would expect. Nobody wants to fry anything!

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Regarding the part number posted near the top of the first page of this thread - y'all ain't gonna get much lumbar support if you order it!

It's just a package of 4 springs, probably for repair of broken components on cars that have the lumbar support installed.

Lito, I'll mail it to you and you can use it as a paperweight. It only cost $5.

Michael

"Repair Kit" P/N 1J0 898 943A

[ May 05, 2002, 04:17: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

At least you got (3) additional springs with yours

I only got one.

So far, I've tracked down via ETKA an Audi part number for the lumbar support. It's very expensive and I don't know what it comes with.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

It looks like the Junk yard is the only place someone will be able to acquire this device.

Michael, I know you'll be out for a while, would you like me to acquire a few for you in the meantime? Makes a great fall project

Lito

PS. I will keep searching for a NA source for the lumbar. I will find it.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a Jetta in Switzerland that has the same velour interior as our North American Golfs and Jettas, but came with a OEM lumbar support installation. I sat in the car and tried it out, the lumbar support had quite a wide range of adjustmant and was very effective.

Note also in the photos below the somewhat different adjusting knob used to control the fore and aft tilt of the seatback. This knob has a rubber ring around the outside of it, and is much easier to grip than the solid plastic knobs.

This is the same car as the one I took photos of for the thread Smaller Rear Middle Seat Headrest , there is a picture of the build sticker on that thread, if you want the details for ordering.

I wonder if it might be both easier and cheaper for us to order a replacement seatback for our driver's seat, rather than trying to refit the lumbar support components? Maybe the cost of the side airbag might make this impractical, I'm not sure.

Anyway, here's the photos:
Jetta seat with lumbar support and new style seatback adjustment dial

Closeup Detail of two dials

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I was just gathering all the information on doing it. I was thinking the same thing about replacing the seat back. However how much work is it with heated seats? You have those wires.
I got the ETKA printed out and all that.

The only thing I would like is some sort of step by step instructions on how to do the work. This post has the instructions but they are mixed up and had missing gaps. But I don't plan to do that until spring so I have time.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Not to change topics, but one of the main beefs I have with the seats is that those knobs are difficult to turn since they're flushed to the seat. These newer knobs you pull out away from the seat then turn them... makes it easier to turn.
I think the new 03's are coming with them. Any EKTA wizards out there that can get the PN to the new knobs?

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
The part number for the knob is 1J0 881 671 G.
Not sure exactly how to read the ETKA but the others that end with B41 for satin black, U71 for flannel grey, 3PT for cream biege. The years are for 11/98-5/01.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
DeafBug:

Are you certain that is the part number for the NEW seat back knob assembly? This has just been introduced as a running change in the last few months. Unless your EKTA is very up to date, I suspect the number you quoted may be for the "old" backrest knob.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Michael, you're right. DeafBug, you possibly don't have the latest ETKA update, it's 448. The correct part number is:
1J0881671J B41 for black adjusting knob for lumbar support. For beige it's Q70 and for gray it's U71 instead B41. These are the knobs for 6/02 - ...
The part number for knob for adjusting of the backrest is:
1J0881671H B41 for black, same color codes as for lumbar support for other colors. Also 6/02 - ...

The knobs in Germany run about €4 a piece.

[ November 09, 2002, 13:34: Message edited by: PTC ]

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
I just got the ETKA from work. I don't know how the version number system works but I started ETKA and clicked on Maintainence button. On the screen it shows the Update number is 532 while on the lower left corner shows Revision 6.1 and on the CD the version number is 53401. I was looking at the New Beetle seats. Since my car was produced on 9/00 (2001 model) I would guess the numbers would be for me.

I would believe that Micheal is right since the years I has posted stop in 5/01 while PTC posted it for 6/02 and on. What happen to the ones in between?

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Heck, if these things only cost €4 each, I'll buy a pair of them this week, and take pictures of the part number that comes on them.

The new knob is certainly much easier to grasp and turn, plus, it doesn't snag the seat belt so easily.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
As promised (better late than never), here is the part number for the new seat back adjusting knob, with the round surface and the rubber grip on the outside. It cost about USD 4 at my dealer in Switzerland.

New Style Seat Back adjusting knob - see photos above for installation details

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
<font color="blue"> </font> If anyone is interested, these new style seatback adjustment knobs fit the A3 Jetta very nicely. Larger than factory knob, very easy to grip and turn.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oldpoopie said:
wow blast from the past.
Yeah,

I figured that we had never been able to find a place to buy the lumbar support and alot of people seemed to be interested in this mod.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bumped for Frank

Attaching the (3) fabric/cover support bars I believe makes the lumbar harder to engage. Not impossible, but I am concerned about the long term effects of the pressure(of these support bars) on the cushion.

Even though the entire seat frame and support is held by springs, the GLX and NB cushions don't have these additional support brackets.

I will remove my support bars and see if the fabric is still tight fitting

THE FABRIC/COVER SUPPORT BAR:

REMOVE THIS SIDE FIRST

THEN REMOVE THE OTHER SIDE

[ April 07, 2002, 22:07: Message edited by: tongsli ]

Frank, the gray bar in the photo is exactly the same in the seat bottom fabric. It holds it to the cushion via metal bars in the cushion.

Last edited: