OEM Lumbar Support

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I just finished adding the OEM lumbar support in my seat

The lumbar device can be ordered seperately. I will post part numbers and pic if anyone is interested.

Lito

[ April 06, 2002, 16:37: Message edited by: tongsli ]

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Yes, Please post a P/N. Then I can go order it from my freindly parts man who assured me that "you gotta' order the whole seat back". Even after I asked him to please check for me. My plan was to do it when I had the covers off doing the leather install. I love the stealership.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Damn, I just got my driver's seat back together. On the Beetle it was for me a mass of wires, springs, hooks, undocumented ways of fastening, incompatible wiring harnesses, etc, and that's just one seat. I am putting in some leatherette seats and aftermarket seat heaters. The seat back was definately harder than the bottom.

I'd be interested in learning more. The seat is still not back in the car yet and I still have to do the passenger's seat!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Karl,
What are you doing with your old seats?
Do you want do sell them?
I assume they are cloth. What color?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Part number I have from the ETKA is:
1J0 898 943A It's described and shown as a "repair kit". I will post this on Monday. The jpeg is at work.

I haven't received this part yet, but the other lumbar support(pictured below) I got from a junk yard. So, I can't tell you what comes with the "Repair" Kit, yet. If someone can get one faster than me, please take a pic and post.

Hopefully, I'll know by Tuesday or Wednesday.

A few photos, then some detailed instructions.
I bought the VAS 5094 from www.Zelenda.com

Detail shot 1:

The pink & yellow connector is the one for the air bags.

The Lumbar Support:

My side air bag housing was off the frame by 1/2-inch or so. I managed to adjust it closer to the frame.

Here is an in-progress shot. The seat cover is off, and the OEM frame back is still in place.

[ April 06, 2002, 21:08: Message edited by: tongsli ]

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Taking pictures definately helped me on reassembly. A good use for a digital camera.

Can the seat heat work with it?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF,

The heated element(for the seat back) are located in the BACK of the seat cover. They are sewn into the fabric They are not in the cushion. So, yes this will work with heated seats.

I will be installing this into Turbo Steve's seats next week.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Cool, or...warm, I guess.

Are the heat pads the carbon fiber type? My aftermarket ones were and they were very easy to bend..just like cloth.

So the foam rubber pad goes over this unit? The same pad fits?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF, Yes. The foam cushion fits right over this plastic lumbar mechanical device. There's plenty of room in side for it. I won't be able to continue the instructions till this evening after dinner, but there are a few differences in the GLS OEM seat and the GLX OEM seat which MAY affect the lumbar support operation.

Right now, the adjustment works fine. I'm not sure the GLS/GLX difference is significant or not. More later.....

L

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I'm sure the Jetta/Golf lumbar support won't fit in my Beetle seatback. And even if it did, I'm not taking it apart again! The seats seem to be better in the Beetle as they are, although the innards look pretty much the same. We have an A4 Jetta as well, so I can compare. I drove more than 2,000 miles in a couple of days to TDI Fest 2001 last fall in the Beetle, and I have a bad back.

Must get back to the garage to route seat heat power. Have to do other seat today too - under domestic time constraint!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF,LOL

I too am operating under the SAME "domestic time constraints"

So my drive-by postings are very erratic.

If you get a chance, please post a pic of the "Leatherette"-like NB seats. I suspect they are constructed similar to the Jetta's and Golf's seats.

Question for you: does the cushion have one segment or three segments?

If it only has one, then this lumbar support should work fine. From what I can tell, your NB seat backs probably don't have any more lumbar support inherent in the FRAME. The seat cushion COULD be different.

If I were to open up the seats to add some lumbar support, what I would do is to add some cushioning to the BACK of the seat cushion.

Lito

L

[ April 07, 2002, 08:13: Message edited by: tongsli ]

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I am at the pc ostensibly looking at fuse numbers...

The beetle seat back is like the GLX pictured above.

Must go.......

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF,

Domestic Time constraints have ended

Since your NB seat is built like the GLX, the OEM lumbar support is a piece of cake. It should work flawlessly.

All you need to do is order the repair kit, protection plate, and knob. If you remember, the seat cushion already has the hole for the lumbar cable controller.

L

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I just got the second seat's covering on. Pulling those wire stays down and hooking them in was tough.

I think I'll pass on this for now.

Maybe if I ever upgrade to leather, but then I'll put a massage unit in!

Just kidding.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Hi Tongsli:

Great post, great idea - this should win the "improvement of the month award" for April for sure!

Some questions for you:

1) What does the electrical cable assembly shown in your first three photos at the top have to do with a lumbar support? Don't take this question the wrong way, I am sure it has something to do with the lumbar support, otherwise you would not have included the pictures, but I am too stupid to figure out what it does.

2) If I order the 'repair kit - P/N 1J0 898 943A that you mentioned in your post of April 06, 2002 at 21:02, does that provide me with everything I need to retrofit a lumbar support?

3) What about installation and final trim work of the control for the lumbar support? I am assuming - perhaps incorrectly - that the lumbar support is controlled by a knob that protrudes out the outboard side of the seat back, somewhere above the recline knob and below the side airbag. Does the repair kit include the knob, trim bezals (if needed), etc.?

Thanks and best regards,

Michael

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Attaching the (3) fabric/cover support bars I believe makes the lumbar harder to engage. Not impossible, but I am concerned about the long term effects of the pressure(of these support bars) on the cushion.

Even though the entire seat frame and support is held by springs, the GLX and NB cushions don't have these additional support brackets.

I will remove my support bars and see if the fabric is still tight fitting

THE FABRIC/COVER SUPPORT BAR:

REMOVE THIS SIDE FIRST

THEN REMOVE THE OTHER SIDE

[ April 07, 2002, 22:07: Message edited by: tongsli ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

Sorry was working on my graphics!!!

Ok, one at a time:

1) What does the electrical cable assembly shown in your first three photos at the top have to do with a lumbar support? Don't take this question the wrong way, I am sure it has something to do with the lumbar support, otherwise you would not have included the pictures, but I am too stupid to figure out what it does.

The VAS 5094 is to keep an accidental static electrical charge from deploying your side airbags. You are hardly stupid!!

2) If I order the 'repair kit - P/N 1J0 898 943A that you mentioned in your post of April 06, 2002 at 21:02, does that provide me with everything I need to retrofit a lumbar support?

I'm not sure right now
There is a large support wire that goes at the bottom of the seat frame that one needs. It supports the bottom of the two main vertical support rails. I got these parts at a junk yard. I will know Tuesday or Wednesday what comes with the Kit. If you get one, please post pics so I can see the parts!

3) What about installation and final trim work of the control for the lumbar support? I am assuming - perhaps incorrectly - that the lumbar support is controlled by a knob that protrudes out the outboard side of the seat back, somewhere above the recline knob and below the side airbag. Does the repair kit include the knob, trim bezals (if needed), etc.?

Yes, the knob is just above the seat recline and below the airbag. The knob needs to be ordered seperately, it's $5 USD. That's all you need for final trim work. I did some reinfocing of the seat fabric from the INSIDE with sewing iron-on adhesive and some "cross-stitch" canvas/fabric.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Michael, keep the questions coming, it's easier to respond then to try and write everything I learned. But, I'm trying to describe with my graphics, diagrams and pictures.

Lito

[ April 07, 2002, 21:27: Message edited by: tongsli ]

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I don't know if you guys are hesitating at all about hog rings, but they are supremely easy to install. A pliers with an angle nose worked well for me.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

as promised form ETKA v6.1

It doesn't appear that the bottom support wire is included. I will try to take a picture and post it.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
That's how you attach the seat covering to the cushion, either to wires built into the cushion or to that ladder-like wire frame in your photo. They are pointy metal staple-like things that get compressed with a special pliers.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF,

Ok now I know what you're referring to. Here's the catch. Once you install the lumbar support, you cannot attach the center with that "ring". The lumbar device itself and the protection plate are in the way. Besides, there aren't any thin wires left to attach them to.

L

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Here's a picture of my new interior. It's a grainy picture...looks better in person. Still have to make holes in switch panel for seat heat switches.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF,

NICE!! Is that a black cloth arm rest?? Can't tell from the pic.

I see you were able to sell your NB cloth head rests. They look great for being "leatherette"

Lito

PS, can you please post pics of your heat switches?

I saw your post on the after market set. What does the switch look like? Is it possible to substiture the OEM switches for the ones that come with the kit you used?

How much is the kit you ended up using and how did you attach the elements to the seats???

[ April 10, 2002, 20:51: Message edited by: tongsli ]

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Yes, the arm rest is still cloth. Question is, should I do it in 'leatherette' or leather...

Those headrests went in record time. I guess the price was right.

Here is a picture of that switch. There are blanks covering the openings where the OEM switches would go. I figure I'll (carefully) cut a hole in them.

I think you edited your post after I replied!

The seat heater pads are a fabric sandwich with carbon fibers in between. They have self-adhesive strips and there are also peel-back sticky pads to attach them to the cushion. They can be trimmed as well (but not longitudinally). Instructions are here .

I don't think it is easily possible to replace the switch. There is a control module that sits under the seat with the aftermarket unit. I'm not sure how the OEM works-it might be within the switch. The owner of Seat Comfort said in passing that he was experimenting with using VW switches. He was quite helpful as well. They cost about $110 each.

Karl

[ April 10, 2002, 21:00: Message edited by: VelvetFoot ]