OEM Headlight Washers

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
First,

Thanks to Eric(SVTWEB) for drilling and cutting my bumper. It's nerve racking when someone else does it, but I'm glad I wasn't the one to screw it up.

I still need to replace a few wires that I didn't size correctly, but it works.

The basic wiring sends power from your light switch to the wiper control module(the same module you need for the rain sensor) which allows power to your secondary washer pump.

The headlight washers therefore only work with the lights on. It will spray once, then you can spray your windshield (4) time before they spray again.

You can "reset" this by turning your lights off and back on again.

Here are some pics:

5.5l tank, auxillary washer pump

Front bumper removed

Driver's side Nozzel

Passenger's side nozzel

Lito

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Great pictures Lito, thanks for posting them.

Does your Jetta have a North American or European front bumper and front bumper bar? Do you know if these squirters can be retrofitted to Golf's with a North American front bumper?

Michael

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Last Winter, Eric discovered that the Jetta wagon front bumper rebar was actually the same part number as the European rebar.

He had switched to this version to fit his headlamp washers.

However, litos pictures show that his rebar is dirty (not brand new), so maybe the (non wagon) NA spec jetta rebar can be made to fit the jets?

On a Golf, you MUST switch to a European front rebar to fit headlamp washers. There is no euro- equivalent available in North America through normal (US dealer) channels.

[ November 29, 2002, 15:30: Message edited by: KOMET155 ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

Check you email.

Does your Jetta have a North American or European front bumper and front bumper bar? Do you know if these squirters can be retrofitted to Golf's with a North American front bumper?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It had the NA bumper, rebar is European. Based upon doing this, I'd be willing to bet that I could have modified my OEM NA bumper to fit the nozzels. Two holes and some minor cutting.

L

[ November 27, 2002, 06:43: Message edited by: tongsli ]

BillW

Veteran Member
Where do you buy all of the parts for the washer system for a New Jetta? I need the same set up for my OEM Xenons. Any kits or easy way to do this in the USA? Thanks

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Earlier this year Michael observed that Stahlgruber, a National parts chain in Germany sells these kits for 169 euro (approx $170 USD).

The US retail on these through importers seems to be around $270.

BillW

Veteran Member
I read in one other thread that the Bora Nozzles and covers need to be ordered with this $170.00 kit? Apparently the Golf 4 is different from the Bora?

Any additional information in regards to a New Jetta would be appreciated. I did not see any special parts for the Bora in this E-bay link? This E-bay link looks like it is the Hella kit for a Golf 4.

Does anyone who knows more about the Hella kit, agree? This is just the Golf kit. I need to buy the Bora nozzles and nozzle covers to complete this Golf Hella kit?

If that is the case, it would be a lot cheaper to buy from Stahlgruber?

What did you do Lito to complete your New Jetta?

[ November 30, 2002, 20:14: Message edited by: BillW ]

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
...that's the point i was trying to make.

the prices are all over the place on this kit, mainly based on ease of availability.... these kits arent even available through Hella dealers in the UK, for example, but can be "found" for $300.

Also, German eBay is a great resource, but the prices are not always the best...i saw a bidding war drive up 25th anniv GTI pedals to 50% over the dealers list price IN GERMANY....and both bidders appeared to be German!

Personally, Im picking up the kit in a few days when I visit Deutschland...ive wanted one for almost a year now....

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
One of the minor problems that comes with buying Hella parts is that Hella is such a big organization, and makes so many different parts and kits (both for OEM's and for the aftermarket) that often, the Hella dealers don't really know where to start looking to find a part number.

Hella's Swiss head office is about 2 miles from my office near the Zurich airport. Whenever I have needed to track down a part or kit number that the Hella dealer or distributor cannot find, I have gone to the Hella head office and asked. I have found that if I just show up on the doorstep asking for help, they are very courteous. However, this is not a truly practical solution for everyone.

It would be really helpful if someone here on the BB who has this kit, or purchases this kit in the future, could post the correct part number for it. Once we have the part number, then it should be pretty easy for any of us to order the part through a Hella distributor, even if the distributor has never heard of the part or kit before.

Last winter, when I was installing the Upgrade to 5.5 litre washer fluid tank in my Golf, I got a letter from another enthusiast who told me the Hella part number for this kit was 8WS 008 558-001, and the cost was €168.72 . I have not been able to confirm this myself (I didn't want to install the washer kit), but perhaps this will provide a starting point for anyone who is looking for the kit.

Again, if anyone does confirm the part number, let us all know...

Michael

[ November 30, 2002, 06:21: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Originally posted by BillW:
I wrote him and received a response earlier this evening. He said the Bora and Golf 4 are the same thing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While the Mechanics of the kit are the same for the Golf or Bora, the Nozzles and Caps are entirely differnet. The GOlf uses a Dual Nozzle design with a very rounded cap to fit on the rouded front european bumper, the Bora uses a single nozzle design with a flat cap that works on both the European and US Bora/Jetta bumper. As a foornote there is NO DIFFERENCE between a Jetta Bumper and Bora Bumper, the only diffrerence is the steel Bumper Re-bar under the cover.

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
that part number is correct, but not all hella dealers know how to "find" it....this sometimes leads them to say it's an invalid part number, but it isn't.

Originally posted by Michael Moore:

Again, if anyone does confirm the part number, let us all know...

Michael
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
the NA-SPec front rebar CAN NOT be modified to correctly palce the headlamp washers.... It would require major re-working and welding to accomplish this, and in the long run the $100 for a new rebar would be cheap.

BillW

Veteran Member
Here is the exact questions I asked him and he responded in English. "Ich Wollte noch fragen wegen der Bora Düsen und Abdeckungen? Diese Teilen passen nur auf ein Golf 4? Oder? Ich meine das diese Teile sind nich gleich mit dem Bora und Golf 4? Es sollte verschiedene Teile mit dem Bora da die Abdeckungen sind nicht gleich mit dem Golf 4 und auch andere Düsen? Ich will dies auf ein Bora benützen. Können Sie herausfinden ob diese Teile auf ein Bora richtig aufpassen?

Wenn diese Teile von Hella sind, meine Ich das diese Teile sind nur für den Golf 4. Ich brauche noch zusatlitche die Bora Abdeckungen und Bora Düsen von VW AG. MVG Bill Westlind "

From the Seller, "Hi!
Thnx for your mail! You are the third one from america asking me about this
product! Yes, it is for Golf 4 and bora (it is the same). "

Hopefully, he made out what I was trying to convey to him in German. I usually don't use automechanic terms when I speak or write german.

I think this gentleman has not installed it on a Bora. He is misinformed.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
When I installed the hella kit on my 2002 Jetta I needed to purchase the Bora Caps and Nozzels.... so add about $40 to cover those options......

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
That's surprising since both rebars fit ok with the NA jetta front bumper. One of VW's strange mysteries....like the euro glovebox.

Originally posted by SVTWEB:
the NA-SPec front rebar CAN NOT be modified to correctly palce the headlamp washers.... It would require major re-working and welding to accomplish this, and in the long run the $100 for a new rebar would be cheap.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bill,

Like Eric said, you'll need to order the caps and other parts from VW. Here are a few UK sources if you need them. They're also located in the TDICLUB vendor links.

http://www.monaco-motors.co.uk/

Kensington, UK.
Phone:
011-44-20-7373-4414 VW dealer that sells to US/Canadian Customers

Sloan VW
Edinburgh
Phone:
011-44-0131-346-1661 VW dealer that sells to US/Canadian Customers

L

BillW

Veteran Member
Monaco is a great source. Ian Clark helped out with my 205s injectors. I like being able to just give them my Visa and no International money transfer fees. Thanks