OEM Clutch Torque Rating on PD

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I've done some searching around, but can not find what the torque rating is for the VW OEM clutch, on a 2004 TDI PD.

Does anyone know what it is? And the rating for OEM TDI clutch on prePD?

Thanks,
Ben

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Stock torque of the engine is 177lb-ft. Even a slight power increase will make it slip, so I would guess MAYBE 200lb-ft if you're lucky. They are terrible clutches.

My PD with Rocketchip makes about 245lb-ft at 2200 RPM. I can make the clutch slip with half throttle in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear once the RPM's get above 2000.

If you are planning to do anything to make the car more powerful, assume that you will need a clutch such as the one from www.dieselgeek.com

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I have a Rocket Chip Stage 1 in my '04 PD 5 speed. It appears the clutch is not slipping when I floor it in 4th or 5th at 2000 RPMs and accelerate for a few seconds. If it is, its just a little slippage that does not continue.

I've read on this Forum that clutch slip because of performance upgrades occurs more frequently as the weather gets colder. My guess is that either the engine produces more torque (denser air) or the friction/clamping force of the clutch decreases a little. I've only had my "chip" for about 45 days, so I can not comment on cooler ambient temperature and clutch slippage.

I only floor it occassionally in 4th or 5th at 2000 RPMs. I want to prevent my clutch from failing.

I was also looking at the Diesel Geek clutch kits and I'm reading up on what I need to replace the clutch in anticipation of having to do it.

--Nate

DeathEngine

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
Not all pd clutches are created equally. I dont care if they are the exact same clutch. Your milage will vary. Some have slipped it with 177 lbs torque, some have almost no slip (me) at 274 lbs. It seems they vary greatly. If you chip, expect it to slip. If it doesnt, youre a lucky dog.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Stock torque of the engine is 177lb-ft. Even a slight power increase will make it slip, so I would guess MAYBE 200lb-ft if you're lucky. They are terrible clutches.
Why are they terrible? Because they won't withstand modifications that deviate away from the original intent as the car was designed/produced?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Thanks for the replies. It has helped with some of the fog of chipping.

Ben

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Why are they terrible? Because they won't withstand modifications that deviate away from the original intent as the car was designed/produced?
Okay, MINE is terrible.

Even without modifications, the clutches on some of the higher horsepower PD's like the PD130 and PD150 are prone to slipping problems. This shows that they are a weak point in the TDI drive train.

Also, another point that supports my "terrible clutch" comment is that the previous TDI's (3rd generation) don't have slipping problems with reasonable power upgrades.

Quote from dieselgeek website:

"Our performance clutches replace the dual mass flywheel with the earlier time-proven single mass flywheel and clutch kit of the Corrado G60 and VR6. The Passat TDI and Jetta III TDI come standard with these parts and have no issues with slipping, even with several power increasing modifications."

Also, they describe the 4th generation TDI clutch as "weak."

It's a known issue that they are "terrible."

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
TDIs aren't alone in this. Talk to some 1.8T owners about their clutches. The dual-mass flywheel is designed for smooth engagements at the expense of power handling capability. It just has less headroom than the older single-mass units.

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Just a quick note to Mike and the rest of you, I have gone from stage 1 to stage 2 on my PD and the clutch slips way less, maybe something to do with a torque curve shift I dunno. With stage 1 the torque hits very hard at around 2000 Rpm, but stage 2 seems to come in a little earlier, but not as hard. The warm engine stumble that I had with stage 1 is also gone and it starts easier when warm.

It has more power at the higher Rpm range and does not drop off at 3800 or so like stage 1

Much smoother all around

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
i have a 2002 tdi, anyway, dynoed at 280ft-lb at the wheels on a mustang dyno, and my clutch doesnt slip, thats about 350 crank, why is that?? i am lucky? probably not. yes clutches can slip because you have lots of power, but i would say not knowing how to drive properly will do it first

for instance, when taking off from a stop, are you one of those people who need to rev the car to 2-3000rpm...?? well thats why you have a slipping clutch. maybe you should learn how to start rolling the car without the gas, once the clutch is fully engaged, then go nuts.