OEM charge pipe questions

Blk_Rocco

TDI
BEW eurovan BHW Passat 5
Search rendered no accurate results.

I recently acquired an 05 bhw TDI. Malone stage.

Driving today, seemed like the turbo was louder, lots of air noise, sounded like a substantial boost leak. Broke out VCDS and measure actual vs requested boost... It differed by about .8 bar then I got the codes P0299 and P010 when testing.

I inspected the charge pipes and noticed the one directly off the turbo is quite loose, not disconnected and the surrounding area was damp from oil blowby I assume.

Question.
1. If I'm seeing damp spots around charge pipe connections...there's a leak right?
2. How loose are these OEM connections typically?
3. These are O-ring sealed correct? Is there a kit out there to replace them all in our cars?

Thank you!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pull the hose off and look closely at the tabs on the aluminum collar that snaps into the turbo. If the tab is worn down enough, it will have a hole there, and that's a path for charge air to push breather oil out and make a mess. It also means the tube's snap fit is not as tight as it should be. A new o-ring won't help, you need a new hose.

This is sadly kind of a common issue with that type of connection. It was so bad on BEW Golfs and Jettas at the intake flap, that someone made a bracket for them to help hold the hose secure. I wish something could be made for all these type connections but it would not have the attachment bolts to use like the intake flap has.

Blk_Rocco

TDI
BEW eurovan BHW Passat 5
Ok... Well sounds like I need to purchase the expensive hose from somewhere.

Thanks for the answers... Hopefully that the only reason for my massive boost leak, I see no other obvious ones.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I had an O ring disappear once, presumably blown out. I have also had success with a lower priced hose than the OEM version. The aftermarket version with plastic hubs and no silencer baffle has lasted me for several years so far. It was about $60 CAD at the time.

Blk_Rocco

TDI
BEW eurovan BHW Passat 5
@Scubanero, good to know.. where did you get yours from.. I don't really feel like spending $300 on this pipe as I'm planning for a future FMIC.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
ebay. It was a few (maybe more than a few) years ago. There are a bunch of cheap ones available, The first one I tried gave it up after a month or so. Look for one with composite end fittings.
Oilhammer is right though. Take a look and see what the problem is. You may just need to tune up the little tabs that catch the spring clip.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Another option @Mozambiquer is currently parting out a wagon and may have a good charge pipe.

the updated o-rings are green vs black from the factory.

I have read where others grabbed boost hose clamps from NAPA and added those, but not sure how well they worked.