OEM BORA HID Fix without taking apart headlight

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Those of you who may have a broken adjuster will understand the title of this post. So despite my best efforts, I managed to break two (different sets) of the up and down adjustments on my HID headlights.
On two different sets! I sent one to Freakwithracket aka Jeff and (paid him) to opened up the light and install the Volx tuning aluminum and metal screw adjuster. Thank you Jeff!
Here is the adjuster;

http://www.fixmyvw.com/billet-aluminum-headlight-adjusters-for-vw-mkiv-oem-hids-replaces-broken-adjusters/
So here's the short version:
1.using a dremmel tool with this type of bit

I drilled out the stock plastic adjuster and backed out the plastic screw from the housing. If you make a series of plunges around the main screw, it will separate and allow you to remove the original screw. Then you use needle nose pliers to remove the remaining plastic.

2. I modified the volx adjuster above by removing the rubber 0-ring and grinding down the wider end so that the diameter matches the rest of the insert.

3. I inserted the modified aluminum adjuster FROM THE TOP of the hole and screwed it into the housing. JUST BE GENTLE IT WILL FIT

4. Carefully tapped the modified adjuster into the light and put the plastic retaining clip back

Here are some pictures. Sorry I didn't take any during the process, I wasn't sure I could do it successfully or whether it would work.

It's a tight fit but it will go in, just be gentle. I tapped it with my hand

Here is where I think you could re-install the rubber o-ring from below back onto the modified aluminum "fix" piece.

Plastic retaining clip can be glued to the light housing if needed

As you may know, the adjustment for the vertical needs to stay in the up most position (passengers side) there is not as much need to adjust it downward. This is how I broke it in the first place!

If you do need to make this adjustment, (driver's side light) the fitment of the aluminum piece is tight enough to keep the piece from backing out of the housing. The original design (of the Volx piece) uses the wider lower end and o-ring to push against the light housing and to keep it in place when you're making an up and down adjustment.

The other option is to put the o-ring onto the modified adjuster after you re-install it which I believe is possible.
And yet another option is to glue or epoxy the plastic retaining clip to the light housing which should be enough to keep things nice and tight no matter which way you are adjusting the light

I hope this makes sense to some of you. No more tools, just hand adjustments from now on!

Enjoy!

Last edited: