Odometer rollback possible ??

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Hey guys. Been a while since posting here. Everything still great with my 2016 SEL TDI sportwagen 6mt except that the driver side heated seat stopped working.

But the reason for this post is that I'm looking to buy a 2014 VW TDI Amarok 4x4 pickup and I've been warned about odometer rollbacks. Is that even possible and if so is there a way to check if that has been done ? I have vcds.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
ODO's are digital, they wont roll back.. they will roll forward, if you replace gauge cluster your supposed to roll it forward to correct milage.. the only way to 'roll back' would be to replace the gauge cluster from one with less mileage and reprogram all the keys which you need a dealer or authorized locksmith to do.

Its not impossible, but its incredibly difficult and likely more expensive than the return's you'd get from fraudulent odo.. However if done right w/no conflicting paper trail I dont think there would be any way to tell.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
They will only roll forward if under 100km, 60 something miles. Don't ask how I know... I'm still a bit sore about it, haha.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Apparently there is some kind of device which if plugged into the OBD port can change the odometer. Hard for me to believe it would be so easy and if it's even possible I would think it would store a code for the change.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I want that device. I want to add 27,000 to my odometer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Odometer rollbacks do happen. People develop illegal software that give you access to roll back the odometer. It's extremely common in Eastern European countries.

Most of these scammer don't bother with anything but the odometer value in the instrument cluster. So if you plug in with VCDS you can look through the modules and see what they report back for mileage. I would check engine, body controller, ABS for instance.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mexican Mamba

TDI
2016 2.0 Golf Sport Wagen MK7
I think my Sporwagen was "Rolledback" . When I got it, it had 58k km (36k miles), coincidentally, it didnt have the service manual but the car looked in and really good condition so I didnt pay much atention to it. I do the oil change myself but out of curiosity I ask my local delership for a oil change appointment and I asked for the price of the service, gave them my VIN number and they told me that acording to the data that they had, my car had 105k km (65k miles) not the mileage that the odometer was reading at the time.
I dont know how but it can be done.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
A new cluster of course has zero miles on it. The miles can only be rolled forward in the first 100 km. After that it's locked.

All it takes It's for a dealer to replace the cluster for a real (or created) problem and miss(accidentally through an attention or purposefully) the step to enter the current mileage.

Boom, you have a "rolled back" odometer. VAG has become more stringent, with cluster coding at service centers. But all that really entails is that the service center has to request authorization to do it. Obviously there are valid reasons to replace a cluster and/or code the keys. So it's not like this authorization is not granted in most cases.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I thought with these new ones the mileage is stored on the ECM so when you replace the cluster and reprogram it, it takes the mileage off the ECM.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I thought with these new ones the mileage is stored on the ECM so when you replace the cluster and reprogram it, it takes the mileage off the ECM.
It absolutely does not, has to be entered. I know this because I currently have a digital dash retrofit in my MK7 that shows over 20k less than my actual mileage.

The dealer did not enter my current mileage when doing the replacement and I didn't notice the odometer until the first time I went to fill up. At that point I'd already driven over 100 km so adjustment was no longer possible.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
While the cluster should just pull whatever mileage the ECU states, ECUs and modules can also be flashed/swapped.

Maybe in the event of a cluster/ECU mismatch, it could just store both? More documentation is always better.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
From personal experience, the cluster does not pull mileage from the ECU. And not just my experience, everyone that has done these dash retrofits. One of the steps when following the ODIS guided function for replacement of the cluster (whether the factory analog or digital dash retrofit, same guided function) is to enter the current mileage. If you don't enter it within the first 100km then it cannot be changed.

You guys can keep saying it should or you think it will, but if you ever need/want to replace your dash... just enter the mileage when it asks (or make sure your dealer/shop enters it). Thank me later!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
for buying a used car in mexico (a 4x4 truck at that), a general overall inspection of the car will tell you a lot more than a cluster and some numbers will.

200K highway miles are vastly different than 20K of back road baja miles.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
From personal experience, the cluster does not pull mileage from the ECU. And not just my experience, everyone that has done these dash retrofits. One of the steps when following the ODIS guided function for replacement of the cluster (whether the factory analog or digital dash retrofit, same guided function) is to enter the current mileage. If you don't enter it within the first 100km then it cannot be changed.

You guys can keep saying it should or you think it will, but if you ever need/want to replace your dash... just enter the mileage when it asks (or make sure your dealer/shop enters it). Thank me later!
I'm simply saying it should. As in that's how it should work. As in that makes sense.

I have no clue what it actually does.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Gotcha... I'm saying it does not work like that. And based on the guided function instructions... it should not. 😆

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
It absolutely does not, has to be entered. I know this because I currently have a digital dash retrofit in my MK7 that shows over 20k less than my actual mileage.

The dealer did not enter my current mileage when doing the replacement and I didn't notice the odometer until the first time I went to fill up. At that point I'd already driven over 100 km so adjustment was no longer possible.
Actually that makes sense cause I swapped a cluster on a '18 tiguan and it showed the mileage on the old cluster. Nevermind haha.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Back to the ECM, I do recall reading (more than one place) that the ECMs in these cars DO store the actual odometer reading as well....but it's not communicated to the instrument cluster. (Of course, as mentioned above, those can be flashed or swapped as well, so...)

If it's there, one would think it'd be readable in VCDS (?).

(Edit: Found this, but only specified for EDC-15/16 ECMs.)