Odometer rollback possible ??

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Hey guys. Been a while since posting here. Everything still great with my 2016 SEL TDI sportwagen 6mt except that the driver side heated seat stopped working.

But the reason for this post is that I'm looking to buy a 2014 VW TDI Amarok 4x4 pickup and I've been warned about odometer rollbacks. Is that even possible and if so is there a way to check if that has been done ? I have vcds.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
ODO's are digital, they wont roll back.. they will roll forward, if you replace gauge cluster your supposed to roll it forward to correct milage.. the only way to 'roll back' would be to replace the gauge cluster from one with less mileage and reprogram all the keys which you need a dealer or authorized locksmith to do.

Its not impossible, but its incredibly difficult and likely more expensive than the return's you'd get from fraudulent odo.. However if done right w/no conflicting paper trail I dont think there would be any way to tell.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
They will only roll forward if under 100km, 60 something miles. Don't ask how I know... I'm still a bit sore about it, haha.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Apparently there is some kind of device which if plugged into the OBD port can change the odometer. Hard for me to believe it would be so easy and if it's even possible I would think it would store a code for the change.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I want that device. I want to add 27,000 to my odometer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Odometer rollbacks do happen. People develop illegal software that give you access to roll back the odometer. It's extremely common in Eastern European countries.

Most of these scammer don't bother with anything but the odometer value in the instrument cluster. So if you plug in with VCDS you can look through the modules and see what they report back for mileage. I would check engine, body controller, ABS for instance.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk