Oddball 1999 VW diesel on ebay

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
This car has been around a few times before, iirc. Can someone explain how it could have possibly gotten an Ohio title??

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Funny how a car that isn't particularly special or rare globally speaking would command such a high price here. I wonder if a "rare" 1999 Chevy Cavalier would warrant $11k+ in Germany? Probably not.

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
With 32k miles - i'd consider it for sure - if it wasn't Red.
And had Alloys and AC.

I've been driving an 89 NA IDI 1.6 daily for years.
1.9 NA DI would be an upgrade. lol
If it was TDI, i bet it would get Clicked quickly(er).

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Funny how a car that isn't particularly special or rare globally speaking would command such a high price here. I wonder if a "rare" 1999 Chevy Cavalier would warrant $11k+ in Germany? Probably not.
Once again one of your comments has left me ROFL'ing!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
This Beauty comes to us from the other side of the globe. It was imported by USA Government from USA Air force base in Greenland.
Plate tectonics must be speeding up, because last I checked, Greenland wasn't that far away....

This is a very rare VW, but do not worry, if something ever goes wrong parts are fully interchangeable with Golf, Jetta as well as Passat.
Hm. Window regulators? Bumper cover? Seats? Radiator? And SDI parts are replaceable with TDI parts?

oilhammer

TDI
Oh, so this IS the Greenland car? The one that spent all of its 32k miles blasting about unpaved roads and had nearly 500kg of rocks and grit stuck in its undersides once they got it here! ROFL! Yeah, I'd be offering far, far less money, especially since I know just how cheap it was originally gotten for from the gov't. :rolleyes:

TDI
And so it continues. It has been kind of interesting watching this car move from place to place over the past year or so. It started on a craigslist add, then showed up on ebay, then on a dealer website in Penn. I think, and now back to ebay. And to think, it all started in Greenland? Anyway, as far as the title thing, I'm not sure why everyone freaks out about that. Literally every state has a process where you can get a title without having the previous title. For example, in NJ one has to post an add in the news paper for 3 weeks and if nobody claims it you get a title. Many states have similar laws.

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Anyway, as far as the title thing, I'm not sure why everyone freaks out about that. Literally every state has a process where you can get a title without having the previous title. For example, in NJ one has to post an add in the news paper for 3 weeks and if nobody claims it you get a title. Many states have similar laws.
Sure, getting a title for a US car is no problem. Getting a title for a vehicle that was never DOT certified is the more difficult task, as I understand it. Otherwise, all of us would be driving Euro-spec T4 Diesel Transporters, and other oddities.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Oh, so this IS the Greenland car? The one that spent all of its 32k miles blasting about unpaved roads and had nearly 500kg of rocks and grit stuck in its undersides once they got it here! ROFL! Yeah, I'd be offering far, far less money, especially since I know just how cheap it was originally gotten for from the gov't. :rolleyes:
Orange peel on the rear trunk [boot] area. I bet there's been a hellova lot of repaint work to most of this car.

oilhammer

TDI
I saw pics of this car when it first arrived from Greenland... it was NOT pretty. This is NOT some "low mileage cream puff" of a car, not by a long shot.:rolleyes:

TDI
Possibly. As I recall though, this car was one of only two in the United States. Truly rare. I also remember it being owned by the United States Army, being used in Greenland for some purpose. I would imagine when it came back to the states there was some process that got it into "the system". Plus many states have laws for "rare" cars.

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
Here in the northeast Cavaliers are rare. They've been beat up, rusted thru, and crushed. Had one come into the shop a few weeks ago overheating. 2.2 head gasket leaking from #4, and thought 5 years ago I would see 3 a week. Now nearly extinct.