Odd timing behavior

RVKazak

TDI
2003 jetta
Good day,
Spend a week by reading to resolve my problem, no lack.
Equipment: Jetta 2003 standard configuration 198000 kilometers.
History: TB changed 18000 kilometers ago (last year) by me with all required tools and step by step instruction from the forum (big thanks to all veterans). Timing was adjusted with vag com. Used complete TB package from Bora Parts. Everything has been replaced including Serp belt tensioner. At the same time air intake has been cleaned. Car was running excellent no problem with start or power until last week.
In that morning car started normally although after two minutes ASR/ESP light came on. I ignore it (was on my way to work) and car performed normally. On my way from work during acceleration (I punched pedal hard) engine light came on and car started to act very odd. Hi diesel noise and lost of power. Luckily I was 5 min from home.
At arrival I checked codes:
1. 17656
2. 01314
3. 01039
After research I assumed my timing is off (related to first and second error code) and my coolant sensors wires playing games although temperature indicator works fine and fane are activated as needed.
I checked my timing with vag com and it was very advanced (out of graph), assuming it slipped at IP I adjusted it to correct position (TB tension was normal and tensioner was in correct position), removed code and took a ride. Car was fine again.
Next morning - car has not started. I had to take my second car. After work back to Vag com. From reading and some experience decided to advance timing. Car started from first time although timing was 087 at 082 temperature. Raised a temperature and adjusted timing to 052 at 110. Took a ride and check timing, all good 052 at 110.
Next morning - car is fine. On the way home engine light came on. Codes are same as above. Timing is 119 at 117. I thought IP sprocket slip again. Clean up code, adjusted timing to 47 at 116 and installed Nord-lock washer behind bolts (I am mechanical engineer and using Nord-Lock system at work to insure fell protection system in over head equipment). At that time I realized timing is collapsing to 26 at 118 from time to time but only in basic settings, measurement reading staying constant. It would slowly decrease and rebound during 10-15 second cycle every 3-5 minutes. That day I also pushed retaining pin to reset pressure regulating valve inside IP (follow forum instruction).
Next day - car is fine. Came home and check timing measuring is 44 at basic reading collapsing from 44 to 0 during 2-3 seconds without noticeable change in car idling. Spend 2 hours monitoring it at temperature 112, 115, 117, 120 - no change. Took it for “Italian” tune, car was performing well. Check timing again- same 44 collapsing to 0. Had to stop for the night.
Next day - very hard start. But good run during the day.
Today – very, very hard start. Almost drained a battery. But good run to the office.
Please help me. Any ideas are welcome.:eek:

RVKazak

TDI
2003 jetta
Update;
I changed coolant sensor – no changes in timing.
I adjusted timing to the 60/ 118 -- that eliminated hard start and make a timing reading stable, but brought buck 17656 and 01314 codes.
After reading most of available threads I adjusted timing to bring specified start BTDC and actual BTDC as close as possible 50/129 at group 000 and 882/0.4 /0.9/2.8 at group 004.
In addition I changed adaptation number to 32805 and group 004 looked as 882/0.9/0.9/2.8 – that took codes away.
She is now clean from the codes for 3 days.
Car starts and runs fine, although performance at varies driving conditions is dissimilar to before changes.
More power and ease handling at the middle range of RPM (2000-3000), slower acceleration rate above 3000 RPM.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would be looking into setting the crank at TDC, locking the cam to see if everything there is still set properly. It wouldn't be the first time a cam sprocket has slipped. Many recommend more torque than the spec for that bolt.
Or, perhaps your IP is getting bad?? Pretty hard for the IP sprocket to "move" regularily.