Odd rough running, worn cam or dodgy autobox issue ????

Nick928

TDI
Skoda Octavia 4x4 tdi Wagon , Polo tdi
Hey :)

I have a 2009 VW BPC (5cly TDi) engined T5 Multivan .
I bought it with a screwed autobox (didnt have 4th too 6th gear) .
I have "fixed" this , but i have an unusual issue i'm trying to pinpoint the location of the trouble.
The van starts 1st time every time , but it seems to get a weird lumpy running almost like fuel starvation or bad injector , but if i pop it into neutral while driving it goes away , so only seems to happen under load and gets progressively worse up the gears 6th being the worst .
I'm wondering if its maybe worn camshaft re fuel injectors (no fault codes with VCDS at all) , it kinda feels like dodgy injector/s , but am also wanting to know if the autobox could mimic a similar issue re wrong oil level/ bad torque converter etc . I did NOT do a relearn of the gearbox when i put the gearbox back in , i know it can be done with VCDS but not even looked into it yet.

Anyone kinda experienced this before with regards to if its camshaft or gearbox related before i just tear into it blindly .

Thanks in Advance :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I had issues with my ALH auto torque converter wanting to lock up at idle in gear, I assumed that anyway, before swapping it out. Different animal though.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you think it’s the cam, pop off the valve cover and inspect the lobes for wear and the lifters for any dishing or cupping out of the surface.

Nick928

TDI
If you think it’s the cam, pop off the valve cover and inspect the lobes for wear and the lifters for any dishing or cupping out of the surface.
Yes, this is the plan , but to "pop" off the cam cover means what appears to be complete removal of the intake system first.
Was kinda hoping someone else has had the issue and could point be to either cam or gearbox .
(edit.: I prolly should watch the injectors while driving using VCDS to see whats happening, but its not throwing any error codes at all.)

Thanks for the reply

Nick928

TDI
I had issues with my ALH auto torque converter wanting to lock up at idle in gear, I assumed that anyway, before swapping it out. Different animal though.
Interesting thanks, its def a weird feeling while driving it .
I prolly should watch the injectors while driving using VCDS to see whats happening, but its not throwing any error codes at all.

Thanks for the reply .

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yes
When you work on a car it usually involves taking parts off like the intake to get to other parts you want to do things to. Its called work. Get to it!